G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Loud beep when put in reverse

Old 06-27-2019, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
White G35x
Loud beep when put in reverse

I've done so many different searches and can't find ANYTHING even close to the same issue I'm having. 06 5AT sedan just started making a loud beep when put into reverse. The beep is coming from behind the rear seats. It's just one beep, not the normal sonar warning beeps while getting close to something. Would it be a indication of something malfunctioning, like the sonar sensors? I can hear it chirp when going from drive to park as it passes through reverse with the shifter too.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Possibly the trans making all that noise?

Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 PM
White G35x
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Possibly the trans making all that noise?
Im 99% sure it's a piezo alarm somewhere behind the back seats. It's one beep for about half a second, then it stops. If it kept going, I would suspect the sensors are picking up something in proximity. If the car had been doing it the whole time, I would have just accepted it as an alert for putting the car in reverse, because that's exactly what it seems like. But since it just started happening, I'm wondering if its an alert for something else.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
G35 Sedan Leather Base, Z1 Plenum Spacer, Z Tube (Currently sold to a friend)
I had an older model 2007 Buick Lucerne (travel car I bought for work) that had backup radar. If ice or snow covered the backup sensors (any of them), it would give a beep when you shifted into reverse and a message came across the dash that it was inoperative (if I recall).

Do you have the owners manual?

Old 06-27-2019, 03:53 PM
White G35x
Originally Posted by kelman81
I had an older model 2007 Buick Lucerne (travel car I bought for work) that had backup radar. If ice or snow covered the backup sensors (any of them), it would give a beep when you shifted into reverse and a message came across the dash that it was inoperative (if I recall).

Do you have the owners manual?
I don't have one but could locate one. That was one of my first thoughts and I looked all over the dash and the nav display for any notifications. I have heard a "chime" sound that is different than the beep I'm hearing now when the trunk was not completely closed, and there was a notification on the nav screen saying it was open, which it was.

I figured if there was something in the owners manual about this, it would turn up on a Google search. I was hoping someone really familiar with these cars may know off the top of their head.

I guess I can plug in the OBD2 reader and see if it gives me any indications when the beep happens.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by TheBFA
I don't have one but could locate one. That was one of my first thoughts and I looked all over the dash and the nav display for any notifications. I have heard a "chime" sound that is different than the beep I'm hearing now when the trunk was not completely closed, and there was a notification on the nav screen saying it was open, which it was.

I figured if there was something in the owners manual about this, it would turn up on a Google search. I was hoping someone really familiar with these cars may know off the top of their head.

I guess I can plug in the OBD2 reader and see if it gives me any indications when the beep happens.
I found a PDF of the 06 owner's manual online but I can't figure out what they call the "backup parking sensors," so I can't find a section that covers its operation.

https://cdn.dealereprocess.net/cdn/s...i/2006-g35.pdf

Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Received 369 Likes on 337 Posts
Locate the noise and see where its coming from. That would be the easiest way to find out what it is.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:25 PM
White G35x
I know what it is, it's an alert that triggers when it's put into reverse. I'm trying to find out why it's going off. I don't need to find it because I don't want to disconnect it. I'll see if I can get some video of it.

And I don't know why my memory is not functioning correctly, but it's actually 3 quick beeps, not one beep like I was saying.

Last edited by TheBFA; 06-27-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM
White G35x
We'll see if this video works. And I'm guessing I have the technology package with everything being keyless on the car, including the ignition, but I don't know if that matters.

Last edited by TheBFA; 06-27-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by TheBFA
We'll see if this video works. And I'm guessing I have the technology package with everything being keyless on the car, including the ignition, but I don't know if that matters.

https://youtu.be/zXUy5OwaGq8
Woah, wait, whut? You cannot drive with the front cv axles removed on a x model. Unless the spindles were swapped to rwd, your front bearings are unsupported without the cv axle shaft going through them. This is super dangerous!

Old 06-27-2019, 11:13 PM
White G35x
Originally Posted by kelman81
Woah, wait, whut? You cannot drive with the front cv axles removed on a x model. Unless the spindles were swapped to rwd, your front bearings are unsupported without the cv axle shaft going through them. This is super dangerous!
That's another issue I might have to tackle. But the spindles are still installed in the hubs and the diff. Only the main shafts with the bearings are missing, not the entire assemblies. The sockets for the bearings are still there, where the boots mount to. But I haven't gotten under the car really good yet to check for any damage to the diff. The car had some repairs to the driver front, but I don't know to what extent, except I know the fender had been repainted, the rear lower compression arm was replaced, and the wheel speed sensor was ground down. I'm guessing the cv axle may have been damaged and someone choose to just remove it and do the same for the passenger side, or possibly something happened to the diff and instead of fixing it, they just took it out of the equation. My girl has to drive it 6 days a week for work so I haven't had much time with it yet. I'm already having some buyers remorse, but I knew there would be some issues. I only paid $3k with 136k miles. If I come out under $5k total to get it in great running condition, I won't be too upset. But my girl really likes to complain about anything wrong with it because I have a 2013 Ford SHO that was "her" car, but I'm selling it to get a little cash back and get rid of the payment, and she really likes that car.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:49 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
The fuse is pulled so it's not even moving but yeah that would be a **** show if it was trying to transmit power to the front without axles installed.

OK here's my theory on the beeping. It's not OEM equipment causing that, someone has installed aftermarket equipment and THAT is causing the beeping. Possibly something to do with an amplifier??? (reverse gear DVD movie playback???) since it's coming from behind the rear seats. I would start taking off panels in the trunk and see what kind of aftermarket stuff is installed. You might ask Wrathernaut what he thinks since he's light years more proficient with the A/V stuff than myself.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:16 PM
I now agree, most likely aftermarket causing noise. Having just installed my backup camera today, I can say it is rather easy to remove the inner trunk panels.