G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Intelligent Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 05:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35X Sedan
Intelligent Key

I've done the forum search and the Google searches and I can't quite find what the information I need. My closest Infiniti dealer is 1 1/2 hours South. I'm hoping I might be able to get some direction from someone here.

I just bought two months ago my first Infiniti, a 2005 G35X. I really like the car. The guy I bought it from said that he only had one key for the car and he said it was the valet key. Ok. I can have a key made, right? Ha, ha. Anyway, I read the owner's manual about the intelligent key to find out how it worked. Since I've had the car, I can't use the key I have (it looks like a standard key with a black plastic cover ) to unlock the door or trunk using the intelligent key system. I figured that this was because, as the old owner said, the valet key. To get into the trunk, I have to open the driver's door and open the trunk with the switch on the dash. Annoying.

Well, I decided I wanted another key, especially a fob so that can unlock the trunk without opening the driver's door. I called Infiniti and, as I'm sure you know already, it will cost more than $500 for a fob and programming. YIKES! Not at this moment no thank you. I was walking through my local Ace Hardware and they had a display that showed Infiniti smart keys and fobs and so I asked if they had one for mine, which they did. He took my key and said it was a chip key and that their scanner picked it up. Hmmm...interesting. Does having the chip key make it an intelligent key? I don't know. Well, he cut a new key and then tried to program it with the car and that wouldn't work (as for the fob, they were out at the time I was there). He didn't charge me and I went on my unmerry way.

I saw another place that had the same type of display. He had the key, cut it and tried to program it with the car. A couple of things with this one. First, he couldn't get the car into program mode with my key, and he tried for about 20 minutes. Second, the key he cut wouldn't go into the ignition all the way because of a plastic anti-theft housing. The key has to be narrow. Because it wouldn't work, I again went on my unmerry way.

About a week later, I was at the gas station and went to open the fuel door to get gas. When I bought the car, I asked the guy how to get into the gas tank and he said I just have to press on the fuel cover to open it. I have done that every time I had fueled up. This time though, it wasn't opening. I ended prying it open with my keys and a latch I had never seen popped off. I'm wondering, is the fuel door part of the intelligent key system?

So, I guess my questions are;
  • Is my key the valet key?
  • Does the valet key, or the key I have, unlock the intelligent doors?
  • What could be the reason the system isn't working?
  • Could getting a new OEM fob work to be able to unlock the doors? What about an aftermarket fob?
  • Would any other fob work?
  • Is there a troubleshooting sheet for the intelligent key system?
Finally, I was thinking about getting the Viper remote start system with fob. Would this be a suitable replacement fob for unlocking the doors?

Old 11-11-2019, 10:23 AM
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I was in the same situation when I bought my 05', one physical key and no remote / FOB. In 05' and 06' the G35 could be ordered with the new FOB's similar to the 07'-08' cars where you can just get into the car and turn the thumb / key (07-08 have a push button) to start without using the actual key but they also kept the older chip in the key part of the security so you can start the car like the 03' - 04' cars. I installed a remote start system so I now have remotes to lock and unlock the doors. I also had a new key made and the key chip copied. It was the simplest and cheapest way to deal with it and I gained remote start for the winter.

Your fuel door should unlock whenever your car is unlocked and not running.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:31 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Fuel door locks until you hit the UNLOCK button on your fob or the unlock button on the door, prying it open like that there's a pretty good chance you damaged the locking mechanism.

As for the intelligent key, I don't recommend getting a key match-cut like you described. The best option is to go to an actual locksmith and have them cut it based on your VIN number so you have an EXACT key. Call around and see who can do this as well as program the BCM to accept the new keys. Most of your larger reputable locksmiths will be able to handle this without issue and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the dealership.

Both style systems, intelligent key and the stupid key system both use transponders located in the key or fob that are part of the anti-theft system NATS/IVIS. This prevents someone from making a duplicate key using the VIN number and then taking off in your car. The engine will crank with an unrecognized key but the spark plugs won't fire and the injectors won't open. In addition using an unrecognized key will NOT turn the alarm off and you cannot program a replacement fob (stupid key system) without an unrecognized key.

5 failed attempts at starting the vehicle with an unrecognized key disables the start system entirely until it is reset.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir

The end of the car key is right around the corner

Its demise will delight some, infuriate others - like most things car tech.

Can't come soon enough to suit me

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...f-the-car-key/

The new Tesla Model 3 is the first mass production car without a key. A Tesla app on your phone connects to the via Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) to handle locking and what used to be known as starting which, in an EV, is more like power authorization. Volvo will also be introducing a limited number of cars this year that trade a key for an app.

Old 11-11-2019, 03:38 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,469 Likes on 2,161 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I'd prefer a fingerprint scanner on the inside of the door handle to "unlock" the vehicle then everything is handled without a physical key. PIN option on the door, automatic locking timer.

I definitely wouldn't want it all handled through my phone though because then I would have to carry it every te I went driving.

Even a small phone is bigger than a key in your pocket.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:46 PM
Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts
The '05 cars came with either the standard "remote entry" fob and physical key or the iKey system. Easiest way to tell is if you have an unlock request button next to the front door handles. If you do, your car has the iKey and if not then it's the standard fob and key setup.

The "Valet Key" that would have come with either system is a key that only operates the door and the ignition but does not open the glove box. That's so you can throw the switch in the glove box which disconnects the trunk release button and then you can lock the glove box and the Valet can't get into your trunk.

Let us know which system your car has.

Last edited by 05_SkylineSedan; 11-12-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts
A couple more things... As Cleric said, the fuel door lock is only engaged when the car is locked so unlocking should free that. If you've broken off the latch that may be nonfunctional for now but as long as the fuel door opens and closes it's not a major thing. That works the same with or without the iKey system.

Both systems also have the trunk request button. If you have the standard system that button opens the trunk only when the car is unlocked (and the switch in the glove box is in the "on" position). With iKey, it opens the trunk whenever you press it and the fob is within 6 feet of the trunk.

All 2005 physical keys with either system (except the "wallet key") have chips but that doesn't make them iKeys. The embedded chip is scanned when the key is in the ignition and allows the car to start. The iKey system has alternative ways of identifying the presence of the key fob but if you use one of the physical keys in the ignition the car still scans it for the embedded chip.

Old 11-15-2019, 02:03 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Originally Posted by telcoman

The end of the car key is right around the corner

Its demise will delight some, infuriate others - like most things car tech.

Can't come soon enough to suit me

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/t...f-the-car-key/

The new Tesla Model 3 is the first mass production car without a key. A Tesla app on your phone connects to the via Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) to handle locking and what used to be known as starting which, in an EV, is more like power authorization. Volvo will also be introducing a limited number of cars this year that trade a key for an app.
There is what the owner's consider a key. It's a credit card sized one that can open the doors without using your phone.