G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

READY TO BUY, Negotiating Tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
READY TO BUY, Negotiating Tips?

Alright, you guys have all been great. I am ready to buy, just waiting for the house to finish up on the refinance. I've been doing so much research on purchasing a vehicle. Basically, I use www.cars.com to get the invoice of the car amd I found out on www.edmunds.com something about dealer "holdback". Infiniti give the dealer 1% of Base MSRP + 2% of Base Invoice for floor plan. From that the dealer is making money if they sell the car at dealer cost.

I want to buy a fully loaded G35 sedan with an automatic tranny, XM radio and aerodynamics kit. The invoice is approximately $34,600 (with destination) and MSRP is $37,800. Frankly, I want the car and the dealer needs to sell the car. Now I know that the G35 is the bread an butter for Infiniti and the car will sell, no question about that. Being that it's a hot seller, would it be hard for me to get the car at invoice? Let me know what you guys paid for out the door and shoot me any recommendations.

Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
Hmm... hold back... not what many think that it is.
Yes, It is $ that the manufacturer gives the dealer. It is intended to make up for advertising and flooring costs. Oh ... what is flooring, you may ask? Dealers very often do not own the cars on lot. They get them on loan so to speak. Flooring can be best described as the interest that the dealer pays the manufacturer on the value of each car in stock. It is much like the interest you pay the lender on your loan. The dealer is released of this obligation once it retails the vehicle. With that said, I have not made a practice of expecting to take that $ from the dealer. It doesnt mean that you can't get a vehicle below invoice though.
I would go into the dealer ready to buy and go for invoice. Be prepared to walk out if they don't bite. You can always come back and they will be very happy that you did.
Check out if there is any dealer cash offered right now, they might be apt to pay this thru to you. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Go into the archives and search for all posts on deals people got and print out the best ones which are probably around $500 or so above invoice. Show them to the dealer and say if you can beat what these guys got you got a deal and go from there. My feeling is I don't care if I over pay a couple of hundred dollars as long as I feel comfortable with the salesman. I do mind overpaying by $500 or more and hence the reseach to find out what these cars are going for.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:12 PM
kei
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I contacted many of the dealers in the Bay Area, including Serramonte and Pleasanton and they have offered me their invoice pricing which I think should be the same for all dealers if not a little different. There are a few threads about dealers in the Bay. Good Luck!

Old 03-24-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi Nardeezy,

I'm in LA and I just got my G35 about a month ago, and all I did was configure my car online at www.infiniti.com, did the "check dealer stock" thing, and then picked a car they had in stock that was closest to what I'd configured. I hit the "request a quote" button and they got back to me within hours with a price. The price they gave me was $500 above invoice (plus I got the 2.9% financing). It's the most awesome car-buying experience I've ever had!

If you don't get a good quote from them (or not a quote at all), I'd just go to carsdirect.com or some other online car pricing site, configure a car, and see if the dealer you choose can beat that price. They're usually eager to beat internet prices (even by just a couple $).

Hope this helps, and good luck with it!

Thomas

Old 03-24-2005, 09:22 AM
You should be able to get $500 above invoice from any salesperson. State the price, walk if they do no answer in 5 min. (let them know.)

Going thru an internet sales dept., you should be able to get invoice to $200 over invoice.

Most dealers will not dip into the "hold back" unless the car is ******* on sales, or the flooring is up and the vehicle is costing them $$ to sit there. Another thing is that sale people sell to your emotions. You are so in love with the car, you've invested so much time researching and dealing that by the time you get into the dealership, you personally don't want to leave without the car. They will make you sit and wait and wear you down until you jump at something you can live with.

The difference between $200 to $500 over invoice is not much, but it is 6-7 weeks of gas, or a set of Eibach Springs installed, a CAI ..etc...

Cheers, Ted

Old 03-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Tell them you have the VPP program. Even if you don't, you should be able to leverage it, if the dealer doesn't participate in the program. They want your business.

Should get you to fair offer.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:04 AM
In Florida, the dealers all have a dealer fee of 400-500 dollars, so in essence, if you buy at 500 over invoice, the dealer still tacks on the dealer fee. Don't know if this is common in every state. So, a deal with a buying service or COSTCO may be a better deal.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Negotiating the best deal is one thing but as we all know, dealers have a very funny way of getting you all psyched up about the car you're buying and then getting you to buy things like extended warranties, paint & interior protection plans that will jack up the vehicle sales price and put more profit into their pockets. You'd be surprised how much dealers make on those extended service plans. IMO, those things are a useless waste of $$$ anyway. I've also heard people say that the end of the month is the best times to go buy a car because of the quotas dealerships have to meet. And it never hurts to ask for freebies like oil changes, accessories, etc. Worst they can say is NO right?? Best of luck with your G purchase and let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Dirtbag; 03-24-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by nardeezy
Alright, you guys have all been great. I am ready to buy, just waiting for the house to finish up on the refinance. I've been doing so much research on purchasing a vehicle. Basically, I use www.cars.com to get the invoice of the car amd I found out on www.edmunds.com something about dealer "holdback". Infiniti give the dealer 1% of Base MSRP + 2% of Base Invoice for floor plan. From that the dealer is making money if they sell the car at dealer cost.

I want to buy a fully loaded G35 sedan with an automatic tranny, XM radio and aerodynamics kit. The invoice is approximately $34,600 (with destination) and MSRP is $37,800. Frankly, I want the car and the dealer needs to sell the car. Now I know that the G35 is the bread an butter for Infiniti and the car will sell, no question about that. Being that it's a hot seller, would it be hard for me to get the car at invoice? Let me know what you guys paid for out the door and shoot me any recommendations.
the best bet is to configure the spec you want with the msrp price on infiniti website and locate the dealer who has the car in stock, then go to edmunds.com and find out what is the dealer invoice is, and start haggle your price around invoice. i just bought my g35s beginning of this month and i got around 300 below, which is pretty good, although i now think about it, i could have done better maybe 500 below, but i needed the car, so i settled for it. be patient and shop around you will definitely get it below invoice. good luck.