G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Questions Questions Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions Questions Questions

I have been reading for a long time before I actually registered. Your conversations have been too good not to participate. I am far from an expert but I do have some questions from VA.

First, I have owned a coupe and got married so sold my coupe and bought a sedan for a family. I have an 03AT sedan with sport tuned suspension. I have already tinted the windows and am getting ready to do wheels/rims and exhaust. I want to go 18in with 235/40 (gun metal) preferably and a stillen cat back exhaust.

I have read about decent gains from the cat back but also that it is very loud. I want to offset the tire/ rim weight with the exhaust and am in general just going for a less generic look. Any feedback or suggestions you might have would greatly be suggested.

Question: how much do the rims weigh on the stock G35? and What are some good lightweight rims that look sharp but not too bling bling....thank you very much.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by G Fun
I have been reading for a long time before I actually registered. Your conversations have been too good not to participate. I am far from an expert but I do have some questions from VA.

First, I have owned a coupe and got married so sold my coupe and bought a sedan for a family. I have an 03AT sedan with sport tuned suspension. I have already tinted the windows and am getting ready to do wheels/rims and exhaust. I want to go 18in with 235/40 (gun metal) preferably and a stillen cat back exhaust.

I have read about decent gains from the cat back but also that it is very loud. I want to offset the tire/ rim weight with the exhaust and am in general just going for a less generic look. Any feedback or suggestions you might have would greatly be suggested.

Question: how much do the rims weigh on the stock G35? and What are some good lightweight rims that look sharp but not too bling bling....thank you very much.

I don't know about the stock rim weight, but I can tell you that from what I've seen, I think Volk Racing has some of the best aftermarket wheels for the G35. I have stock Infiniti 5 star sport wheels and I like the way they look on my car, but if I were to get new wheels, I would almost definitely go with a cool set of Volks. Here's a good example...

http://infinitipa.zoovy.com/product/VRCHALLENGE18

Last edited by bsgoren; 04-05-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
You could get some ASA's from Tirerack...they are pretty light, and they look awesome (ASA is partnered with BBS).

Just go to tirerack, shop for wheels, and enter your car's info.

Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Thank you very much. I have actually been told that by someone else. It appears that would be a good choice.

If you have a second, I have another question. What is a Crawford Plenum. I happen to be one of those people that can drive like a bat out of hell, know alot about stats but know very little about the inner workings.

Also, is the Cat Back Exhaust a bad idea if I am not concerned with the sound as much. Is it as loud as people say?

I just feel that if I cut a little weight out of the tires even while going a little wider and get a little out of the exhaust, then I'll be very happy. I am not looking for anything substantial...just a touch of good looks and a nice note here or there...

Old 04-05-2005, 03:59 PM
I went and looked at those Volks.....sweeet!...those are very nice...thanks again

Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 PM
The Stillen Exhaust IS as loud as it claimed by others. Even modified by BrianV using a Magnaflow muffer to dampen the sound, I had to get rid of it because it was annyoning the crap out of my wife. However, the power gains were real and were definately felt.

Old 04-06-2005, 04:55 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
A quieter alternative to the Stillen exhaust would be the Borla or the Fujitsobo.

As far as wheels go, what is your budget like???

The plenum is the intake manifold, pictured below. Different companies (Crawford, Kinetix, etc.) have made plenums that are supposedly engineered to be more efficient. Replacing the stock plenum has shown significant HP gains. There is also a plenum spacer manufactured by Motordyne that basically creates more space under the stock plenum thus more air volume. This too has shown good HP gains.

Attached Thumbnails Questions Questions Questions-plenum.jpg  
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
Yes, the Stillen is louder than stock, and they get a little quieter after broken in.

But, from my personal experience, the Stillen complaints start when coupled with hi-flo cats.

After a year and a half, I finally used sound dampening material (B-quiet ultimate & V-Comp matting) in the trunk. I no longer have the drone and am quite happy with the sound levels. It is a performance exhaust and you have to expect some compromise between quiet near-luxury sedan and sleeper.

Fuji is not that loud...Clint (THX723) has it and I like it very much, but will be keeping my Stillen.

-Ted

Last edited by SoCalTed; 04-06-2005 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Enkei RPM2's are a nice low key wheel that only weigh about 18 lbs, I think the stock wheels are in the 25 lb. range.

They are a mesh design, I have the 18x8 with a +35 offset (discount tire says a +45, but go with the +35 if you go this route).

I run 245/45/18 tires, although I will likely go to 245/40 or 255/40 next time.

The Enkei wheels are inexspensive, pretty tough, and they look decent (I have the hyperblack finish).

I am at work now, so no pics. I posted some pics in the sedan suspension guide a few weeks ago, you can find some pics there, along with some sweet Volk's (CE28's) and Racing Hart's (Skeleton_Cru's R series).

Old 04-06-2005, 11:10 AM
I know you dont drive a 350Z, but this page - http://www.everything350z.com/gal2/Aftermarket-Exhausts - has some good sound clips of some of the more popular exhaust choices. Personally I like the Borla cat-back the best. There are also some dyno numbers that can give you a rough idea of gains you can expect to see.

Just to throw another option out there - NISMO LMGT4 rims are very lightweight and performance-oriented. Personally, i would LOVE a set on my G.

Try this URL: http://www.performancenissanparts.co...keywords=lmgt4

I have ordered parts from performance nissan several times and they offer great service.

Another highly-recommended shopping site is Grubbs: http://www.grubbsperformance.com

hope this helps

Old 04-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The Nismo wheels are great, but you woudl have to order a set from Japan to get offsets that would fit the sedan....

Old 04-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Sedan

How bout' us sedan guys? What exhaust options do we have? Are there any sound clipz?

Old 04-06-2005, 12:05 PM
my (soon to be installed) wheels and tires.....

Enkei RP03's and Dunlop Direzza DZ101's

245/35/19x8.5 Front
275/30/19x9.5 Rear

Waiting to get my car back from Street Image... then will get the wheels mounted and installed. Pixs should be up by the end of the week.

_Ted

Last edited by SoCalTed; 04-07-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
Thank you. This is exactly what I was asking for. I appreciate you taking the time out to assist me with my questions. There is no budget. I have fun money and want to do it right the first time. I am a little concerned with it being too loud but at the same time if it is a bit noticable in performance then I am good with it.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:59 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasscout
How bout' us sedan guys? What exhaust options do we have? Are there any sound clipz?
Stillen makes the dual cat-back for both the coupe and sedan!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions Questions Questions