G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Interior Creak - Do you have this sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interior Creak - Do you have this sound?

My 2005 G35X creaks when I brake moderately quickly to a stop.
It really doesn't take too much braking power, I would say 50% of my
stops result in the creaking sound.

The creak is slighly metallic sounding and sounds like it is coming from
the center console, but it could be coming from the steering column.

Does anyone else have this sound? Have you fixed it?

The lower plastic steering column cover makes noises a bit too over rougher roads but that's mainly during cold weather days.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u sure its not comming from the brakes themselves. becasue sometimes good brakes squeek.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
It's definitely not brake squeak. It's a creaking metallic/plastic sound.
And, it appears to be coming from the dash.

Old 04-06-2005, 01:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
creaking noise

I have had several noises inside my G since I bought it last August. It is currently at the dealership for the 4TH time as I type this email! They can't do the job right the first time. Current noises are a rattling/vibration coming from near windshield at upper part of dash on passengers side. 2nd noise is a creaking noise coming from the rear drivers side window (it was proven that it's the seal where the window meets the glass). But they have YET to fix these on their 3rd go at it (last time). SO F'n frustrating & annoying, I am fed up w/ the dealership service dept. It's also in to get the windshield washer fluid nozzle/sprays fixed, as it barely pisses out of the wiper (and sometimes it doesn't **** out at all...and YES..there is fluid in the reservoir). They claimed they fixed the problem last time and replaced the pump and it works fine. The day they dropped my car to me at work & picked up the loaner, I tested it & they didn't do Jack S _ _ _. All I got out of my service was a free car wash. Today marks my 7th full day that my car has been in the shop. Sorry for the lengthy response, but this is my first time venting about this on the forum. And to advertise what dealership this is, it's Herb Chambers in Boston. Am I asking too much, that I don't want any annoying noises in my so-called luxury sport sedan while driving? My last car, VW jetta had 140K plus miles on it & I never had any issues like this.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Interior Creak

LD500:

Did you ever find out what was causing the creaking? I have a 05 G35X as well and think I have the same creaking noise.

Thanks.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:27 PM
I have the exact same "creaking" sound on my 05 G35 Sedan which also seems to be coming from my center console when I brake. At first it was a bit annoying, but now I've learned to live with it because I don't feel it's worth having the dealer tear apart the car's interior.

Old 04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Former G35 Driver
I get this squeak on braking from my center console. I have an 05 5AT. If you grab
the center console around the cupholders you can simulate the squeak. It's plastic on
plastic squeak.

I also get some rattle from the far left vent while driving, I just need to push on the
vent a bit and it goes away.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
1050 miles and nothing yet. (knocking wood)

Old 04-16-2005, 04:08 AM
I haven't figured out where the creaking sound is coming from yet.
It could be the radio rubbing against the trim or it could be a few other things.

Sometimes it seems to creak a lot when I'm not braking very hard so I think it's some plastic trim in the center console barely rubbing against another piece. Or possibly even the new brushed aluminum trim.

Dropping by the dealer soon so will update you on what they find.

My brake pedal squeaks a bit too when I take my foot off of it.
Anyone have that? It's fairly minor but still bothersome.

Still, I can't complain. Compared to my previous cars it's not any worse for creaks and squeaks. Just hope the dealer can fix them.

Old 04-16-2005, 11:08 PM
Went to the dealer today and they accidentally fixed the creaking sound in my center console. The mechanic pried off the shift lever trim (automatic) and put it back on. The sound is gone, at least for now.

They also fixed my brake pedal squeak. I think they just lubricated it eventhough the invoice says they "Adjusted" it.

I'm really happy as long as the creak in the dash doesn't come back.

And, boy is that oil dipstick ever stupid. When I pulled it out to get a reading all I see is oil from top to bottom. Then it takes about 5 tries to re-insert it.
All that technology in a car and they can design a nice smooth dipstick.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have plenty of noises coming from my car. Center console around shifter, front passenger door, B-pillar and transmission. I hate having the dealer drive my car, so I deal with them.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Guys, the whole interior is plastic and rubber. Everything makes noise. The reason most dealers pass creaks and squeeks and rattles off as being "normal" is because it is. In cabin noises are very common in the g35 and the factory fix for any in cabin noise is to first pinpoint the area and then remove the two pieces that are rubbing making the noise and cover them in a felt tape. IMO the felt tape looks very very tacky and in many instances it causes improper alignment between the pieces.

The best way to track down where the noise is coming from is to have someone else drive your car and you sit as the passanger. As the passanger you can pay better attention to where the noise is coming from and you can pinpoint the noise. And also the dealers have a squeek and rattle worksheet. The reason the worksheets arent used much (there are worksheets for every symptom from brake noise to engine noise to smells) is because the customers get pissy telling us that we need to figure it out instead of them filling out a worksheet to find out the problem, when in reality the worksheet ensures 100% communication between customer/advisor/tech when trying to track down a problem. A lot of advisors dont use the worksheet because they simply dont know it exists.

IF you want go in and ask to fill one out. And be completly honest about it, if its only making noise in the morning say so, because if you say that it happens all the time its going to be much harder to pinpoint if at all.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
I heard a creaking metallic sound in my dash also but it was only when I hit bumps. It's not too big of a deal because I've only heard it a few times (although I only have 500 miles on the car) but I listen to music 99% of the time so it doesn't bother me. If it continues, I'll just ask them to address it at the first oil change. If it's too much work (i.e. loaner car required) I'll just skip the issue until I turn 21 and can make use of the loaner car program.

Old 05-06-2005, 01:25 PM
My dash creak came back. I guess the lucky fix from the mechanic didn't last. I'm guessing Infiniti didn't redesign the method that the shifter trim attaches to the center console. Now that it's metal, it creaks more easily.

I'm wondering if I could pry it up myself and apply felt to the bottom or something similar to that.

And, on top of that my driver's side window is not making ticking noises.
If I lower my window by a minute amount then it stops. I'm being a bit picky but at the same time I'm sure anyone else driving my car would hear it.

Has anyone else had that driver's side window sound?
I read previously that someone had a similar noise and it was fixed with a new window regulator (odd). But, I can't find that thread anymore.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 PM
I own a 2005 G35 sedan 5AT Premium B/susp recently purchased 4 weeks ago. I also noticed a internal creaking noise coming from the center console. This creak was worse during breaking. When I took it to the dealership, the sound was not able to be reproduced. However, the noise came back. I localized it to the center stack, near the cupholder. I was told by the service station that to fix the problem, they would need to take apart the center stack and place foam between all contact points. I'm not sure if this is a good idea. At least I know that I'm not the only one with this problem and not just hearing things.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Interior Creak - Do you have this sound?