G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Steering Wheel Controls - just me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Controls - just me?

I think the design of the radio and cruise controls are well - crap. I mean what is up with a switch you move up or down? Seems so 1980's to me?

(Still haven't bought - but probably soon - that is one of the only things that really annoys me - ok well the interior does not compare to the TL, and of course the gas mileage - but I'm walking into that with my eyes open)

Old 04-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
If you want to see some really bad designed and executed switches look in a Buick. I had one as a rental car. It's only one year old and looks absolutely horrible. It looked like it was designed for a 7 year old to play with......big ugly buttons.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:12 PM
I think those controls are ok just take them as a little retro look

Anyway you want some bad design just take out the oil dipstick it that design is out of this world

Old 04-12-2005, 11:13 PM
mrb
Comparing Acura with Infiniti as far as build quality and ergos, you are screwed I'm coming from Honda/Acura for the last decade (3 Hondas, 1 Acura) and I notice this little stuff as well. It ain't no TL. But Honda is a very defensive, safe, company. They rarely do anything first anymore or take any big chances. If they'd make a TL Coupe that was RWD, and the focus was on performance (not an inline 4) I'd be on that bandwagon like a spanked ***! They only have 1 RWD V6 performance car in their lineup, and it's way overpriced and the redesign is way overdue! Nissan is more of a driver's car, whereas Honda is more of an overall type thing. I will miss getting all the **** sans Navi without having to add them on as pricey options.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't even own the car and you’re bitching about the steering wheel controls? They work fine and they are intuitive. You sound like you wouldn’t be happy with any car you bought. The TL has got plenty of problems like vibrations around 60mph and leather seats so thin that your butt leaves prints in the seat cushions.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by shodog
You don't even own the car and you’re bitching about the steering wheel controls? They work fine and they are intuitive. You sound like you wouldn’t be happy with any car you bought. The TL has got plenty of problems like vibrations around 60mph and leather seats so thin that your butt leaves prints in the seat cushions.
I second this, and they are definitely not crap!

Old 04-12-2005, 11:59 PM
mrb
I'd have to agree with him on the leather seats. If you are over 150 lbs, the left hand side of the driver's seat will welt up after 6 months of use. I've seen this on RSX's (I had one) and on 2 different TL's. They include a lot for the price, but the seat cushion/leather is chinse! The TL is a great car, but as far as a true enthusiasts choice you only have to look at the FWD. As soon as you punch it, have fun guiding the steering wheel, it's going to be all over the road. I went back and forth like you, I love Hondas, but a V6 enthusiasts car they don't make, unless you want to pony up $90k for 1/2 second on the G, a little better skidpad performance, and better track performance. The TL is in the same class but not in the same class if that makes any sense. It's FWD.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:57 AM
awm
The controls don't look that hot, though not horrible, either. They are, however, incredibly functional and easy to learn and operate while never averting your gaze from the road. I've actually grown to appreciate them significantly more than I thought I would when I first saw them. I'd bet you will, too. Could it be done better? I'm sure, but it works and is clean. Nuff said.

Andy

Old 04-13-2005, 05:50 AM
some TL oweners said they feel like driving a bigger size of Accord instead of a 30K+ sedan.

Well, since "fun factor" is not ur primary concern, go for the TL.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:00 AM
Ok excuse me for trying to get other opinions and understand what the hell Infiniti was thinking.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by mrb
Comparing Acura with Infiniti as far as build quality and ergos, you are screwed I'm coming from Honda/Acura for the last decade (3 Hondas, 1 Acura) and I notice this little stuff as well. It ain't no TL. But Honda is a very defensive, safe, company. They rarely do anything first anymore or take any big chances. If they'd make a TL Coupe that was RWD, and the focus was on performance (not an inline 4) I'd be on that bandwagon like a spanked ***! They only have 1 RWD V6 performance car in their lineup, and it's way overpriced and the redesign is way overdue! Nissan is more of a driver's car, whereas Honda is more of an overall type thing. I will miss getting all the **** sans Navi without having to add them on as pricey options.

This is funny... !!! now while I agree that honda may have a better interior the car's quality has gone down hill. I have had 3 myself since 95. I went to a local infinity dealer and out of the 16 used cars on the lot, 4 of them were type s 2g TLs.

Their trannies were a dismal failure and the oil jet they had to install on the 2g and 3g models are to avert a potential lockup of the transmission that could result in an accident. I find that the build quality of the inifinity is good and I agree they are more of a driver's car than a one size fits all model for the masses. The TL performs well, but they are cookie cutter cars.

They cost less, but then they have many more problems than I have ever experienced with a nissan product. I wish they would make the interiors a bit better in the infinity line. Considering the cost I would expect to get at least as much as acura provides.

As for performance I would like to see the gearing changed a but in the G35. I think they can get slighty bette performance from it and not sacrafice gas mileage.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:42 AM
mrb
I hear ya. I never had one single issue with any of my Hondas, not even a rattle. Highest mileage I took one was to 150k, still drove really damn well. I've been very impressed with their products in the past, but their lineup leaves a lot to be desired. This is where Nissan excels, they are making cars for the driver. IE FUN! Honda does offer good bang for the buck though. A hard top S2k with a V6 and a little more room, damn!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Of course they move up and down, what do you want - side to side?

The only way I would improve them is to place them (audio) on the REAR of the wheel. I have them on the rear of the wheel (at my fingertips) in my BAT and I prefer them there.

They work fine for me as placed and are intuitive. Whith your hands at 10 and 2 they are perfectly placed - if maybe a bit low.

Describe what you would rather see.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:01 AM
I have written before about my families experience with my 2001 TL and CL, From tranny problems, warped brake rotors and sunroof rattles. These were all documented problems for the Acura of this and other model years. I was very dissapointed with their quality and was expecting years of carefree driving at time pf purchase. Within two years , I got rid of both of them. I must admit, the V6 225 Hp engine was good and delivered excellent fuel mileage both locally and on the hwy. But the overall quality left me with a bad taste in my mouth for the Honda/Acura product. I obviously did not purchase the redesigned TL when it came out and took the G instead.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by mickey3c
This is funny... !!! now while I agree that honda may have a better interior the car's quality has gone down hill. I have had 3 myself since 95. I went to a local infinity dealer and out of the 16 used cars on the lot, 4 of them were type s 2g TLs.

Their trannies were a dismal failure and the oil jet they had to install on the 2g and 3g models are to avert a potential lockup of the transmission that could result in an accident. I find that the build quality of the inifinity is good and I agree they are more of a driver's car than a one size fits all model for the masses. The TL performs well, but they are cookie cutter cars.

They cost less, but then they have many more problems than I have ever experienced with a nissan product. I wish they would make the interiors a bit better in the infinity line. Considering the cost I would expect to get at least as much as acura provides.

As for performance I would like to see the gearing changed a but in the G35. I think they can get slighty bette performance from it and not sacrafice gas mileage.

Speaking of gearing-what is the final drvie numbers for the 6 spd G35? I am hoping it is not under 3.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls - just me?