G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone notice a slight loss in power with the a/c on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone notice a slight loss in power with the a/c on.

I have my 6 spd 05 G now for about 2 mos and I don't know if I am imagining it but it seems when the a/c is on I can see a slight decrease in response. I gather that the a/c does present a slight drain but have you guys noticed a difference in response with the a/c on.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:25 PM
I too have noticed a slight decrease in response when the a/c is on, but that also happened with my previous car (a Maxima). In fact, if I wanted to be sure I had maximum power, e.g. to pass, I would shut off the a/c.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How is this any different from any other A/C equipped car? I have heard but don't know for sure if the G35 has the A/C Compressor cut out during Wide open throttle (WOT). It's a pretty common feature found on high reving engines as A/C compressors don't really like to spin at 6800 rpm.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
mrb
Is this your first fukin car dude? How long have you had a drivers license?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
haven’t experienced a noticeable loss of power, but it might be there (not sure)...I have a question though - I hope someone will have input... Has anyone actually determined if gas mileage is better in the AC econ mode?... I've driven w/econ on and with it off but never only one way or the other on an entire tank of fuel... Has anyone ever paid attention to see if econ is beneficial? I do notice the air is colder with econ off.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Corgidog
I have my 6 spd 05 G now for about 2 mos and I don't know if I am imagining it but it seems when the a/c is on I can see a slight decrease in response. I gather that the a/c does present a slight drain but have you guys noticed a difference in response with the a/c on.
Quite normal. The A/C has some parasitic drag on the engine costing a few hp's.(and mpg).
C.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mrb
Is this your first fukin car dude? How long have you had a drivers license?

fukin seriously, every fukin car looses power when you have the a/c on even if the car had 1084 hp you would notice the loss in power and if thats not enough CHECK THIS OUT
YOU GET ****TIER GAS MILEAGE TOO
that will be a shocker

Old 06-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
I also notice an influx of water when I leave my windows open when washing my car, or driving in the rain? Does this happen to anybody else? Should I take it to the dealer?

Old 06-22-2005, 06:18 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JustBrilliantX
I also notice an influx of water when I leave my windows open when washing my car, or driving in the rain? Does this happen to anybody else? Should I take it to the dealer?
ROFL!!! OMFG!!! LOL!!! OH DAMN! i think i just pooped mah pants... btw, when you poop your pants, does it stink too, or is it just me?

on a slightly more serious note, you can get Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulleys, and then the A/C won't take up nearly as much power from your near-300 hp engine.

Old 06-22-2005, 07:28 AM
OMG!!!! I have that same problem. I thought it was just my G, but I washed my Armada and it did the same thing. Maybe it's a Nissan thing? On a serious note, any car with AC is going to have a performance drop when the AC is on. This is due to the engine powering the AC compressor. If you think you feel the difference with the G, imagine if you had a 120hp Toyota, Hyundai, etc. "Back in the day" when I owned a 88 Pathfinder, we had to turn off the AC to go up big hills! The truck had the 160 hp V6 BTW.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Nice. I pi$$ed myself and it's only 0800... Thanx JBX.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:05 AM
Thanks for your insightful responses to a simple observation that the G loses a little power while the a/c is on. I have been driving for almost 40 yrs and realized that 40 yrs ago, I just wanted some to generate some discussion on that topic. (and I thought this board had a small ahole quotient)

Old 06-22-2005, 09:34 AM
Luxx..While the answer seemed pretty obvious there is no need for you to be such an as#@**(. Take that somewhere else! Or stop borrowing daddy's car and get off this site.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by AdamsInfiniti
Coridog: As I can see it, when people see a question has has a fairly obvious answer, there's a short fuse on the majority of the board members before they'll start flaming you. I'm not saying it's a total injustice, either, no offense intended, but it does seem like a pretty obvious answer.

I'm curious as to what you wanted us to discuss? There's additional resistance against the engine spinning, so I'm not really sure what aspect of that having an impact on performance is what we need to be talking about here...
In retrospect I probably should not have posted the thread as I was just reacting to a greater cut in power with the a/c on than I had anticipated. My 2 previous cars, a 95 540 and a 00 M roadster, had less of a cut in power with the a/c on than my G and I was a little disappointed in the G with the a/c on. Thanks for the input.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice a slight loss in power with the a/c on.