G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

HELP! I rolled my fender and accidentally cracked the paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP! I rolled my fender and accidentally cracked the paint

As the title states, I carelessly rolled my fender and now I have two 1" cracks or splits on the paint towards the inside part of the fender/wheelwell. Believe me, I was pissed when that happened. So my question is, how do I repair/fix that? Can a body shop fix this with some sort of adhesive? I don't want it to get any worse so any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Pics?

Old 07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
Sounds bad. Take it to a body shop and let a professional look at it.

Old 07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm pretty sure a body shop will want to sand down the cracked area and refinish. I don't see much hope of you being able to carefully apply touchup paint to fill the cracks.

It's important that if your rolling the fender lips and your going to be bending very much to use a heat gun to soften the paint so cracks don't happen. You've learned the hard way I'm afraid. Kinda the reason I speak up so much concerning what offset's you should not run on the sedan. So people don't get in the same situation.

Old 07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
Sounds bad. Take it to a body shop and let a professional look at it.
Why would anyone attempt this themselves is my question?

Old 07-20-2005, 01:14 PM
Rolling fenders is not a good idea unless a professional shop does it for you. Cutting the inner fender lip is safer. It's very likely you have to paint the quarter panel to fix the crack.

Old 07-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happens pretty often as the paint isn't very flexible. when I rolled mine, one side didn't crack. The other side however did. I plan to tak ine to a body shop and have them repaint the area to discourage rust.

Old 07-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Pardon my ignorance but what is “rolling my fender” and why would you want to do this if it causes so much damage?

Old 07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you have wide tires or an incorrect offset, you need to bend the fender lip up so it won't cut into your tires.

Old 07-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Trust me, I researched the heck out of what offset to get coupled with what sized wheels I was getting. So my friend who owns an auto shop decided to order the wheels before consulting me on the offsets. he said "trust me, i told the Work guys (I bought Work wheels), that the owner doesn't want to roll his fender, blah, blah). So anyhow, I get the wheels and guess what, the fenders need to be rolled. I know all y'all are probably thinking I should go back to my friend and have him fix the problem but I figure I would find the solution myself.

So, if anyone has ever experienced cracked paint due to rolling the fender, I need your advice. Please help.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by ymisotall
Thanks for the replies. Trust me, I researched the heck out of what offset to get coupled with what sized wheels I was getting. So my friend who owns an auto shop decided to order the wheels before consulting me on the offsets. he said "trust me, i told the Work guys (I bought Work wheels), that the owner doesn't want to roll his fender, blah, blah). So anyhow, I get the wheels and guess what, the fenders need to be rolled. I know all y'all are probably thinking I should go back to my friend and have him fix the problem but I figure I would find the solution myself.

So, if anyone has ever experienced cracked paint due to rolling the fender, I need your advice. Please help.
Dude, there is no quick fix unless you want your car to look like crap. Take it to a good bodyshop and they are the best solution to your problem.

Last edited by Chico; 07-20-2005 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator
Well, the way I see it . . . You have 3 options . . .

1. Take it into a body shop.

2. Pour a salt water solution onto the cracked paint and cross your fingers. It may heal itself. (might not work)

3. Set your car on fire and get a new one. (possible jail time for insurance fraud)

Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 AM
Yeah, looks like I may consult a body shop. I really don't want to send a couple hundred to rectify this situation. I was looking around for possible adhesives that are paint safe so I can use it on a small crack to prevent it from splitting and spreading. Are there any sort of paint adhesive for these situations?

Old 07-21-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by ymisotall
Yeah, looks like I may consult a body shop. I really don't want to send a couple hundred to rectify this situation. I was looking around for possible adhesives that are paint safe so I can use it on a small crack to prevent it from splitting and spreading. Are there any sort of paint adhesive for these situations?
Anything less than taking it to a professional bodyshop will be a mistake. It's a new car dude!

Old 07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would start by taking it to a body shop and get a quote. See if they think it is repairable. You definitely want to get it fixed properly to avoid any rust problems which would be much more costly to fix.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! I rolled my fender and accidentally cracked the paint