G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with

I have found a method of getting rubber grips for the Nissan drilled aluminum accelerator pedal. If you have some rudimentary mechanical skills you will be able to complete the process. You can cut the grips off of the standard plastic Infiniti G35 dead pedal. The entire task should take a total of 45 minutes to 1 hour. You will need a band saw and a bench sander. Once you have cut the top layer of the dead pedal off, you will then need to rip it rows of 5, 4 and 5. Once you have the three rows you will now need to cut out each grip with either tin snips or side angle wire cutters. Once you have cut out the 14 individual grips, you will need to sand them down so the diameter is slightly greater than that of the holes in the accelerator pedal. You will need a flat nail punch to press fit each of the 14 grips into the drilled aluminum accelerator pedal from behind. Once the grips are in place you can apply contact adhesive to the back of each grip to ensure it stays in place. I applied contact adhesive as a redundant measure, my grips are press fit into the holes and require a rubber mallet and flat nail punch to be removed.

Attached Thumbnails Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with-accelerator-peadl-grips-f.jpg   Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with-brake-accelerator-pedal-d.jpg   Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with-accelerator-pedal-grips-e.jpg   Nissan Drilled Aluminum Pedals with-rubber-grip-installation-accelerator-pedal-.jpg  
Old 04-16-2006, 12:22 AM
D87
Very cool! It's been raining cats and dogs here and I can't tell you how many times my foot has slipped of that pedal!

Good thing the brake pedal has some rubber on it!

Old 04-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
lol, very resourceful! and looks well done too...

Did you do it just for looks? I never seem to have a slipping problem

Old 04-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Sedan
There's a reason the gas pedal doesn't have the rubber nubs. It's so your foot can slide up and down the pedal as you accelerate/decellerate. I'm not sure putting rubber nubs that may catch in the tread of your shoes is the wisest thing to do.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:26 AM
I believe you are mistaken. First every reputable aftermarket drilled aluminum pedal set has grips or rubber nubs on the accelerator pedal for instance Momo. Second the rubber nubs only protrude above the pedal 2mm,similar in depth to the channels on the stock rubber accelerator and brake pedals. Third the drilled aluminum pedal set is sourced from a 2006 Nissan 350 Z.In Canada specifically Toronto the pedal set has to be ordered by the individual parts i.e. dead pedal, brake pedal, accelerator pedal, rubber bushing and accelerator pedal retention clip. The rubber nubs are not shown as an individual part on the isometric pedal assembly drawings so there is no way to order them since there is not a listed part number. I have compared my pedals to those of a 2005 Nissan350Z Nismo edition belonging to a friend of mine and he wants the same setup. I have driven my car with various shoe types Puma Euro driving shoes to leather bottom dress shoes and boots and have not encountered a problem with my shoe tread catching on the accelerator pedal grips. My car is a 2005 5AT Obsidian Black Saloon with the premium and sport packages, the only option I do not have is navigation. I am unclear about “your foot sliding up and down as you accelerate/decelerate”. Since my car is a 5AT I am not heel toe down shifting, so my foot position does not change on the accelerator pedal. My heel is the fulcrum and my forefoot is on the pedal.

Old 04-17-2006, 01:22 AM
Sedan
I also have the 5AT, and my heel is stationary on the floor of the floor board when I drive. With that in mind, as I press my foot down to accelerate the sole of my shoe will slide down on the gas pedal and vice versa. If you don't think this is true, have someone sit in the driver's seat and press the accelerator with their heel firmly planted on the floor board as you observe. I had a different aftermarket set of aluminum pedals before my Nismo set and that set had a smooth gas pedal as well. They are specifically designed that way.

PS - Since when isn't Nissan considered a "reputable" parts maker???

Last edited by skeleton_cru; 04-17-2006 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
There's a reason the gas pedal doesn't have the rubber nubs. It's so your foot can slide up and down the pedal as you accelerate/decellerate. I'm not sure putting rubber nubs that may catch in the tread of your shoes is the wisest thing to do.
EXACTLY...
JMO, but it's a mistake to add rubber grips

Old 04-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by D87
Very cool! It's been raining cats and dogs here and I can't tell you how many times my foot has slipped of that pedal!

Good thing the brake pedal has some rubber on it!
rain, snow, ice...never had my foot slip off

Old 04-17-2006, 10:34 AM
Out of many - one people
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also agree that adding rubber grips would be a mistake. No problems with slippage here.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:45 PM
I see your perspective of adding rubber grips to the accelerator pedal as a mistake. However the rubber grips are only protruding 2mm,that is not a sufficient amount to get caught in the treads of any footware.As I stated I drove my car with various types of shoes since the pedal installation over a week ago without any problems. I never ment to imply that Nissan was not a reputable manufacter,I am quite qeen on getting a new Skyline GT-R when it is released in Canada in the spring of 2008.I have an obsessive compulsion with regards to symmetry and overall balance, that maybe par for the course of being a Mechanical Engineer. I like the balanced look of having my three pedals matching.

Old 04-17-2006, 06:52 PM
^ There are folks that buy the aluminum cover for their emergency brake as well so you gotta get that too now so that it matches!

Old 04-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by renegadestorm
I see your perspective of adding rubber grips to the accelerator pedal as a mistake. However the rubber grips are only protruding 2mm,that is not a sufficient amount to get caught in the treads of any footware.As I stated I drove my car with various types of shoes since the pedal installation over a week ago without any problems. I never ment to imply that Nissan was not a reputable manufacter,I am quite qeen on getting a new Skyline GT-R when it is released in Canada in the spring of 2008.I have an obsessive compulsion with regards to symmetry and overall balance, that maybe par for the course of being a Mechanical Engineer. I like the balanced look of having my three pedals matching.
If it works for you than that's great. If you're that worried about symmetry you should consider the e-brake pad to complete the look. As it is now, having only 3 of 4 pedals aluminum looks incomplete.

Last edited by skeleton_cru; 04-17-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:05 PM
^ we were thinking the same thing...

Old 04-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Sedan
Originally Posted by perry05G35
^ we were thinking the same thing...
Ooops, I didn't see your post.