G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Satellite Radio

I am considering ordering one of the satellite radio packages on my 07 and was looking to get some feedback. I have never had satellite radio before so I was wondering which one is the best, XM or Sirius? What are the pros and cons of each one?

Old 07-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am not sure that either one is better rather it is more of a personal preference so I would suggest signing up for their free trials via the web to try them both.

I did and went with XM because they seem to offer more music channels than Sirius did. I am also not a big Howard fan and not concerned with listening to NFL on the radio so that didn't draw me to Sirius.

I am happy with XM. This is especially true since I had Sirius in a loaner recently and it lost signal often and I found myself struggling to find something decent to listen to.

Good luck.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
I am considering ordering one of the satellite radio packages on my 07 and was looking to get some feedback. I have never had satellite radio before so I was wondering which one is the best, XM or Sirius? What are the pros and cons of each one?
Shane, I'm very happy with XM, won't ever have a car without it in the future, XM has the NHL, and MLB games, I liked the option of being able to listen to a hockey game if I wished. I checked into both before I ordered, and XM won.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Traveling Administrator
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will do a little research and see which one has the best stations that suit my interests. I just wasn't sure if one provider has better "coverage" than the other...etc.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM is more top 40 and variety music stations whereas I find Sirius to be more talk radio and special interest stations. If I had a choice, I'd choose XM over Sirius.

Old 07-25-2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I will do a little research and see which one has the best stations that suit my interests. I just wasn't sure if one provider has better "coverage" than the other...etc.
Shane, you can sign up for online trials for both XM and Sirius, that's what I did before deciding. (meaningless post #4841)

Old 07-25-2006, 05:34 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by JGFox
XM is more top 40 and variety music stations whereas I find Sirius to be more talk radio and special interest stations. If I had a choice, I'd choose XM over Sirius.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:12 AM
XM here for last 3 years...

Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 AM
Traveling Administrator
Ok, one more question. Is it better to get the factory XM option or to purchase an aftermarket one. It looks like XM is a $350USD option on the 06 models. That sounds like quite a bit considering how much you can get an aftermarket one. Your thoughts?

Old 07-26-2006, 10:20 AM
Shane, I have the factory XM, dealer installed, and I like having it integrated with my radio, $350 as an option isn't bad, cost more than that to have it installed. (meaningless post #4843)

Old 07-26-2006, 10:31 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
Shane, I have the factory XM, dealer installed, and I like having it integrated with my radio, $350 as an option isn't bad, cost more than that to have it installed. (meaningless post #4843)
Ok, thanks Tom. I know that I can get an XM transmitter here for about $100, but then it has to go through an FM transmitter. I guess it would be worth it to have everything integrated.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:35 AM
XM user here, and I'll never go back to commercial radio again. ABQ is right, it would be better to have it factory installed and integrated with your receiver. Deciding between the two is just a matter of preference. Here's XM's channel line up; XM. There's a lot of channels that I'll never use, but it's still worth it to me.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:51 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Mooser
XM user here, and I'll never go back to commercial radio again. ABQ is right, it would be better to have it factory installed and integrated with your receiver. Deciding between the two is just a matter of preference. Here's XM's channel line up; XM. There's a lot of channels that I'll never use, but it's still worth it to me.
It's funny that you mention commericials Mooser. I listen to the radio on a very minimal basis becuase I can't stand the commericials!! Having satellite radio will really be a refreshing change I am sure.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mooser
How's the repetition rate? FM radio drives me "nucking futs" playing the same songs three times a day, nevermind the same week.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It's funny that you mention commericials Mooser. I listen to the radio on a very minimal basis becuase I can't stand the commericials!! Having satellite radio will really be a refreshing change I am sure.
Do realize though that XM is no longer "commercial free". When I heard commercials on the music stations I nearly hit the roof

All of the stations listed as regional news and talk have commercials. I *believe* this was due to some agreement that had to be fulfilled with clear channel. XM did however add other stations to their lineup to cover the genre of the previous stations and these are commercial free.

I also agree with going the stock option route. Your tuner is installed out of the way, you can mount the antenna on the rear deck lid (inside the car), and as others stated it is all integrated up front.

You will enjoy satellite radio! I know I wouldn't want to do without it anymore.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Satellite Radio