G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

2007 VQHR Dyno Results!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
It may be that they both have similar transmission losses.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
It may be that they both have similar transmission losses.
A typical 5AT tranny is not going to have about the same loss (within 1%) as the 6MT. A typical auto will not dyno near what a typical manual tranny will dyno at... only a DSG or SMG type tranny where it's not fluid-coupled will have similar results to a true manual. Hm. I would expect at least 3% difference...

Old 02-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
You may or may not be correct in the assumption of loss differences,(I don't know) but I can say with certainty both vehicles were under 10K miles and tested under the same conditions and correction factors. Dynapack is also the most repeatable of all dynos.

The data is the data.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
You may or may not be correct in the assumption of loss differences,(I don't know) but I can say with certainty both vehicles were under 10K miles and tested under the same conditions and correction factors. Dynapack is also the most repeatable of all dynos.

The data is the data.
I guess that is why it is important to do dyno pulls, and comparisons. That is the only way to really know how things shake out.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my 2 cents, and I'm not going off data or dyno's. but I do have a 5-AT, and this ain't your normal everyday automatic tranny. this thing is unique and is performance focused. for instance when your on the highway doing 75 @ 3K rpm and in 5th gear, when you take your foot off the gas the tranny pulls you down, it doesn't do like most automatics where it goes into an overdrive mode that allows you to coast.

I don't know if this tranny has any overdrive at all, but it doesn't feel like it does.

my point being, this isn't the same auto tranny you find in a Buick. Why is it so beyond belief in this era of technology that they have an auto that's almost as efficient asa manual?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:48 PM
Smile

Any word on those IS350 dyno plots?

Just curious as to how they compare!

Old 02-21-2007, 04:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I'm still working on that one!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
THX723,

That was an accelent Torque lesson.

It was actually so good, I think you should post this in the Engine, Drivetrain, and Forced Induction forum section.

Im pretty sure such a lesson would be sticked by the admins/moderators

Thanks for clearing up the confusion

Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 AM
Originally Posted by kring
my point being, this isn't the same auto tranny you find in a Buick. Why is it so beyond belief in this era of technology that they have an auto that's almost as efficient asa manual?
Actually, it pretty much is the same as in a Buick.

It may have electronics to match revs or hold gears... but it's the same basic fluid-coupled design that's been around for decades... as long as it's got a torque converter, that doesn't change. And neither does it's inefficiency.

I'm not arguing the numbers, or saying that anybody is skewing them on purpose. But it's like saying 2 cars with the same engine, but one weighs 200 pounds more, should accelerate the same.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:50 AM
gao
Originally Posted by trebien
Actually, it pretty much is the same as in a Buick.

It may have electronics to match revs or hold gears... but it's the same basic fluid-coupled design that's been around for decades... as long as it's got a torque converter, that doesn't change. And neither does it's inefficiency.

I'm not arguing the numbers, or saying that anybody is skewing them on purpose. But it's like saying 2 cars with the same engine, but one weighs 200 pounds more, should accelerate the same.
yeah, its definitely surprizing, and the dynos proved it. Although I'm a manual guy myself, there is really no reason anymore not to get an auto with quick engaging shift paddles. I can live with -3 hp . What I'm curious to know is the passing abilities of this automatic. It may be optimized for 0-100, but how does it fair at cruising to a sudden WOT. Does it, fro example, take more time to build up the torque converter box before power comes on as compared to the clutch system?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Maybe someday the trany will "read our mind" and select the proper gear.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by gao
yeah, its definitely surprising, and the dynos proved it. Although I'm a manual guy myself, there is really no reason anymore not to get an auto with quick engaging shift paddles. I can live with -3 hp . What I'm curious to know is the passing abilities of this automatic. It may be optimized for 0-100, but how does it fair at cruising to a sudden WOT. Does it, fro example, take more time to build up the torque converter box before power comes on as compared to the clutch system?
It depends on your speed and which mode your in. Drive or Drive-Sport. here's some examples of what I noticed.

at 50-60 MPH in Drive mode it's in 5th gear - passing will drop you to 4th

at 50-60 MPH in DS mode the car's in 4th gear and it takes right off with 1/2 throttle which is plenty to pass, it may drop you to 3rd, but I really don't need to floor it to pass.

In DS or Manual mode, if I'm in 3rd gear and I tap the gas, it rips, there is no delay and no build up, it's ready to fire.

I've mentioned this before, but haven't seen any supporting confirmation... I don't think this car has an overdrive, when your driving at 60mph and take your foot of the gas, there is no coasting like most automatics do.. you feel the engine torque pulling you back down. Not like most automatics where the car seems to go into neutral and coast. it will even loose some speed doing downhill driving.

The downshift time is less then a second, about the same as most people downshift in a manual.

The DS mode typically keeps you in one gear lower then the Drive mode, so power is ready to be used. it likes RPM closer to 3000-4000, where Drive mode will always try and push you up to the higher gear.

I will say that I have two "Would like to see's) to make an already amazing auto tranny, even better.

1.) I wish when you are in DS or Drive mode, it would show you what gear your in, right now you have to guess and the only way to see what gear your in is to upshift or down shift.

2.) It would be really nice if when you pull a paddle and hold it, the car stayed out of gear and then when you release it executes the change.

And I'll add that the car shifts smoothly every time, if you drive by the needles you'll see you are getting excellent acceleration during the shifts. but you don't necessarily feel the shift as much as you do in a MT

Downshifting in the auto feels EXACTLY like a MT, it revmatchs and pulls you right down. downshifting to 1st @30mph feels like you slammed on the brakes and in about 100 ft your at 5mph. the Auto tranny will pull all the way down to about 3MPH before it releases... which I found AMAZING! and equally amazing is how you can run it to redline in 1st, take your foot of the gas and it pulls you right back down.. never switching gears on you.

Alright... I'm rambling...

Last edited by kring; 02-23-2007 at 12:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
@Jim__Davis (08-31-2012)
Old 02-23-2007, 11:15 AM
gao
haha... yes you are.... but who wouldn't? there is too much to love about this car but also lots that we see needing refinement. Thats what you get when you can't wait and buy the 1st gen car off the lot!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:02 AM
This is not the typical 5AT. You can tell that as soon as you step on the gas. the 1st gen Gs had a relatively high stall TC. The new generation is even higher.
ATs are getting better and better at putting down/ transferring power so it is not surprising at all to see the difference be so minimal between the two.