G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

"harsh" engine sound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "harsh" engine sound

I have just over 1100 miles on my G35 Sport. Although I have been very good about the break in period, I have now ventured a little further over the 4k mark on occasion. While the exhaust note is beautiful, there is a mechanical harshnesss coming from the engine itself. I cannot really pin it down to any one component, just an overall lack of "smoothness" It pulls great, lots of power, lots of torque, just a little noisier than I would have expected. Of course it finally has started to get a little nicer here in New York so these are my first driving days with the windows down. Anyone else experience this sensation or am I just being too critical? I appreciate your input.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:24 AM
this is my first infiniti. the engine does sound harsher than other cars i've owned. it is a very mechanical sound- a little tinny. i think it's normal and will juts take getting used to.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sound Man
I have just over 1100 miles on my G35 Sport. Although I have been very good about the break in period, I have now ventured a little further over the 4k mark on occasion. While the exhaust note is beautiful, there is a mechanical harshnesss coming from the engine itself. I cannot really pin it down to any one component, just an overall lack of "smoothness" It pulls great, lots of power, lots of torque, just a little noisier than I would have expected. Of course it finally has started to get a little nicer here in New York so these are my first driving days with the windows down. Anyone else experience this sensation or am I just being too critical? I appreciate your input.
with the intake and exhaust I hear a lot more about what's going on inside the engine then I'm use to hearing from other cars. It's a good thing in my opinion. I don't notice anything tinny about it, it has a deep growl IMO, but it is more of a mechanical or metal sound which is what I think your describing. tinny to me sounds weak and high pitch, my engine is the furthest from weak and high pitch.

I think it's perfectly normal and sounds really good. since your still in your break-in you need to give it some more time. the real engine note is between 5K and 7K... sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:33 AM
You should read the Car & Driver comparo with the BMW 328i...
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-bmw-328i.html

I believe what you're hearing is something that the Car & Driver guys dislike about this car, "a lack of harmony in the engine compartment."

Old 05-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Originally Posted by joeldoss
You should read the Car & Driver comparo with the BMW 328i...
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...-bmw-328i.html

I believe what you're hearing is something that the Car & Driver guys dislike about this car, "a lack of harmony in the engine compartment."
agreed. it's not the most refined performance sound. ive heard better. but it doesnt sound horrible either.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of the metallic sound can be attributed to the tube headers. My old M5 with the S38B36 24V engine had a very similar sound. Frankly, I like the sound of the VQ35HR.

OTOH, my brother just bought a Nissan Pathfinder with the VQ40xx - now that's a harsh engine.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I have an engine/exhaust sound that I am not too sure about... usually if I hit the gas pretty hard and shoot up the RPMs and then let off of it, its a raspy (almost rattling like) sound. Sounds likes its just behind me in the center of the car?!?! Not sure what it is, any ideas?!?!

I have been meaning to get my bro in it and let him listen to it, hes ALOT more mechanically inclined than I am when it comes to engines and the like.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiesean24
I have an engine/exhaust sound that I am not too sure about... usually if I hit the gas pretty hard and shoot up the RPMs and then let off of it, its a raspy (almost rattling like) sound. Sounds likes its just behind me in the center of the car?!?! Not sure what it is, any ideas?!?
I've heard that too, but only within the cars first 10 minutes of driving, after warming up I noticed it goes away. Maybe the intake stays open longer while the cars warming up?? not sure...

Old 05-02-2007, 10:55 AM
The article explains what I am sensing

Thanks for the link to the article. At least I know nothing is wrong and I am not imagining things. I can easily get sued to the sound eminating from the car. I have not heard any squeaks or rattles yet from the interior so I am very happy. With only 50 miles to go before break in is accomplished, I anticipate this will be a very fun weekend!!!
Thanks for the input.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
the raspy sound is the CATS my buddy works at Infiniti of Mission Viejo as a tech and he said it was perfectly normal for our cars.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by kring
I've heard that too, but only within the cars first 10 minutes of driving, after warming up I noticed it goes away. Maybe the intake stays open longer while the cars warming up?? not sure...
Any better description of it? I havent wanted to post asking about it simply b/c I cannot describe it?!?! Figured I would sound like a moron or something. I did feel like it was something intake/exhaust related as it seems like it happens when the car is gasping for air after punching it- that kind of what your experiencing as well?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:25 AM
I have an engine/exhaust sound that I am not too sure about... usually if I hit the gas pretty hard and shoot up the RPMs and then let off of it, its a raspy (almost rattling like) sound. Sounds likes its just behind me in the center of the car?!?! Not sure what it is, any ideas?!?!

I have been meaning to get my bro in it and let him listen to it, hes ALOT more mechanically inclined than I am when it comes to engines and the like.
sounds like a rattling cat heat shield.

Old 05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by interalian
Some of the metallic sound can be attributed to the tube headers. My old M5 with the S38B36 24V engine had a very similar sound. Frankly, I like the sound of the VQ35HR.

OTOH, my brother just bought a Nissan Pathfinder with the VQ40xx - now that's a harsh engine.
that's a very good point. equal-length headers will do this... most OEM headers are not equal length. i think it's super-cool that nissan did that, and then programmed factory tuning into the mix. who needs aftermarket?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by Altersys
sounds like a rattling cat heat shield.
Interesting. Is this something that would need to be fixed? or can be fixed easily? Makes sense, I am lowered and I do drag sometimes when I park in the parking lot in my office?!?!

Old 05-02-2007, 11:34 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Any better description of it? I havent wanted to post asking about it simply b/c I cannot describe it?!?! Figured I would sound like a moron or something. I did feel like it was something intake/exhaust related as it seems like it happens when the car is gasping for air after punching it- that kind of what your experiencing as well?
There was another thread going about this. Are you talking about what almost sounds like a wastegate dumping in between shifts (under heavy acceleration) when the car warming up? If so, many have said it is normal. I think I agree with G35Drvr03 that it is the cats because it's less noticeable after they are heated up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "harsh" engine sound