G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine cutting out when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's been in the mid-90's the last two weeks here in Austin and I haven't noticed anything like that. Mine's a 6MT, maybe that makes a differance.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Mine has been at the dealer for two weeks with a problem that sounds like this. It idles very rough and sometimes dies after it is started. They replaced the fuel pump, but it has not fixed the issue.

Basically, they can't figure it out and tell me they are going round with the "service hotline."

Old 06-18-2007, 07:26 PM
I had the same problem 2 months ago, on my 5,000 km service i had it checked by the dealer and he told me that he just needed to re-tune the computer. Now it's all gone.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 AM
Thanks Devilocity, good to know its not something major and can be easily fixed.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, mine has been in the shop for 3 weeks now and they can't fix it. "We can't figure out what's wrong with it and keep going round and round with the tech help line." They told me today they are flying over a master tech from Japan to look at the car next Tuesday.

I asked what happens if they can't fix it, and he told me they will keep replacing parts until it works. I'm fairly upset as I've been driving an older model loaner car while these guys play shade tree mechanic. I think they should reimburse me for one month of my lease payment at the least, but I'm thinking about to raising a fuss now to see about getting a different car.

3 weeks of "we don't know what's wrong" isn't the level of service I expected from Infiniti. This is on top of the fact it's been in the shop for many other issues - windows, cruise, sunroof, body panel, etc.

What do you guys think?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 PM
find out your state's lemon laws. there is a statute that designates how long/how much failed effort is allowed before the manufacturers is obligated to replace your vehicle.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Good call.

It is 30 days for Texas, and and I am at 21 for "this" issue.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:34 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
those of you experiencing this problem, you are all AT right? could it just be the downshifts coming to a stop are a bit rougher than when the car is sufficiently warmed up? i know this is common in very torque-y cars like the G

Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Mine is an automatic transmission. It idles very rough, sometimes dying, sometimes it corrects and works fine.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:10 PM
I'm having a similar problem when my car is cold. The morning temp is now 77F where I am. I am not having any problems accelerating but when driving along between say 20 and 40 I feel some surging. I usually deal with this by dropping it down a gear or two and that gets me though until it warms up in a couple of miles.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:16 PM
It really sounds like bad gas - but too many of you to call it that...
Certainly NOT normal.
Hope you guys get it worked out!

Old 06-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I have not had a chance to take mine in to the dealer yet, but I will within the next week or two cause I'll be due for an oil change. I plan on having them look at it then. It's been acting up for about a month now. It's very consistent.

In the morning when it's cooler or if I go out at night it's fine. But if it's been sitting for about 2-3 hours and I start it in the middle of the day and it's hot, say 90 degrees or higher then it pulls off fine but after about a mile if I come to a stop and slowly pull off it starts bucking, reving and cutting back, reving and cutting back, until I get up a little speed. After driving about 2-3 miles it warms up and drives fine.

No check engine light, nothing. I've been thru 4-5 tanks of gas since it started doing this so I don't think it's the gas.

I'll probably trade it this fall anyway, too many rattles, now this. Moonroof rubber trim keeps loosening up and rattling and they still have no fix for this other than tape. Kind of hate to get rid of it because I really loved the styling but the grills getting pitted. Just too many little things.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, the "master" tech from Japan supposedly knew immediately what the issue is and they have ordered a part. The sprockets on the timing chain need to be replaced.

He said this is an issue that is known at Infiniti, and they are trying to find a way to reprogram the computer to accomodate. However, replacing the sprockets is the real way to fix this. Nobody at the tech line knew anything about this, just the people in Japan.

When I called today, the part still wasn't in and now they are saying it will be more time. I've been given another probably false promise that it will be ready on Friday. This is of course if the part comes in and they spend the next few days taking apart my motor.

I'm pissed. This will be 4 weeks in the shop by Friday. I don't want to ever see this car again to be honest. It has been the worst car I've ever owned so far. I would take my 2004 Tahoe back in a second if I could undo this curse I've put on myself.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:29 PM
so it's actually a cam timing issue? perhaps the cam gears on some cars don't have enough adjustment to bring the cams into spec...

Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 PM
So why would it start being a problem only after 3800 miles?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out when cold