G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine cutting out when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Railgunner. My brother had about $5K of stereo equipment stolen out of his 240SX when it was at a Nissan dealer. Totally sucks.

Maybe these things are signs that the G35 just isn't for you. Hmmnnn... weren't you thinking about getting a 335i a few months back?

Good luck w/ your repairs + rims replacement.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Railgunner
They said they left it on plastic milk crates... Seriously.
Please tell me this isn't Dick Smith Infiniti in Columbia

Heath

Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes Railgunner. My brother had about $5K of stereo equipment stolen out of his 240SX when it was at a Nissan dealer. Totally sucks.

Maybe these things are signs that the G35 just isn't for you. Hmmnnn... weren't you thinking about getting a 335i a few months back?

Good luck w/ your repairs + rims replacement.
Yes... and I'm thinking alot harder about it now. Only reason I didn't buy the 335i was the the service department at BMW dealership here had a horrible reputation (See Hancock BMW on dealerrater.com).

However, I have heard they were bought out and are now under new ownership and the new dealership is much better.

When will car makers learn that the quality of their service departments matters? This experience is likely to cost Infiniti a customer for life.
This was my 2nd G35... They not only have not been able to fix my car, they can't even manage to secure it when it's left with them.

They've told me twice that they fixed the heated seat problem. When I took it in last week I asked the service tech to open the passengers door and put his hand on the passengers seat and tell me if he felt anything "unusal". He did and said it feels fine. I said the seat heats been on high for the last 20 minutes... It's not even warm. You told me this was fixed last week. Your "mechanic" didn't even bother to see if it worked at all did he? It didn't work at all when I drove it off the lot on the way home last week...

They also did not manage to fix the rattle in the rear deck that they said they fixed. It went from rattling occasionally to rattling constantly.

Basically, I loved the car, but if I can't get it serviced then it's worthless to me.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Update... Dealer said they talked with Infiniti tech and they said the tech told them he thinks the problem is the dealer used 5w30 oil instead of 10w30.
So.... they drained the 5w30 oil and put 10w30 in... said they want to drive it a few days and see if that fixes the problem before going into the engine...

Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
I thought 5W-30 was recommended oil as stated on page 9-2 (378) & 10-9 (407) of vehicle manual?

Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Railgunner,

If you read my earlier post, they did the same to mine and nothing changed. They then did the replacement and all is well.

Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Gotta tell you, DSI is pretty slack. I have never, ever, not even once - gotten any of my cars back from there with all of the parts on it, or at least in the right place. It took us over a WEEK to get a leaking battery replaced on our '05. I would go check on it and they would have either not cleaned everything up correctly, not reinstalled something right, etc. They finally got it right after they got tired of me driving their loaner car I guess.

Their service managers used to be excellent, even if the techs. weren't... but my last impression is that they're all about equally slack now. I hate to hear about your wheels too... some of the highest concentration of Section 8 housing is right behind the dealership.

Good luck getting it resolved! Keep after them and they will eventually get it right!

Heath

Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 PM
Update... Dealer said they talked with Infiniti tech and they said the tech told them he thinks the problem is the dealer used 5w30 oil instead of 10w30.
So.... they drained the 5w30 oil and put 10w30 in... said they want to drive it a few days and see if that fixes the problem before going into the engine...
OK... Amazingly enough this fixed this problem. Car actually drives differently. Revs higher before shifting in low gears. No more bucking when pulling off slowly when engines cold on a hot day. I don't understand how
5w30 vs. 10w30 oil could cause something like this in the 1st place. No explanation given to dealer by Infiniti tech as to "why" 5w30 oil would cause this. Only thing I can imagine is that variable timing has some kind of "clutch" or something that does not work right if the oils too thin when the engine is cold???

Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 AM
that is odd.

this happening only when the engine is cold and IF it's an oil pressure problem would imply that the oil is too viscous. switching to 10w makes the oil even more viscous at low temps (the primary weight is the base or cold temp weight).

let us know if your problem returns after a while.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Update... It's not fixed. Ran fine for about a week after they changed the oil and then started doing the same thing again.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I've been watching this thread since I've experienced this same issue.

So I took my car for diagnosis and they did replicate the problem overnight with my 07 G35x. The dealership, being just part replacers and doing what Nissan Corporate tells the to replace, told me to let the car warm-up before I drive it. I didn't want to be confrontational since they had no clue what was wrong and driving the point would have ended up in an argument. They did say they would call me when a definitive answer was known in terms of which parts need to be replaced. In short, the dealer didn't know how to fix it. A week has gone by and not a single phone call has been received. My next step is to call customer relations.

FWIW, I just started to notice this "throttle hesitation" when I switched to Castrol 5W30 (full synthetic). Also, I have an early build vehicle (purchased 12/06).

Being the analytical engineer that I am, I am starting to worry about durability and have been worrying about repeated faults like this - they can't be good for the motor. I do not have extensive background in VQ motors so can anyone provide insight as to why no engine codes were triggered?

Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Update... It's not fixed. Ran fine for about a week after they changed the oil and then started doing the same thing again.
****. sorry man. wish i could say i am surprised, but that solution sounded hokey at best.

i suggest another dealer. bring in the receipts of the work already performed and tell them they have one chance to take the job seriously.

good luck man.,

Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Guys,

Why the mystery? I told you the answer in the previous posts. I had the problem, and now I don't. Don't let them snow you. It isn't the oil...been there and done that. You need replacement parts!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
+1.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:36 PM
I was told today that Infiniti says they now have an electroic resolution to this problem now. They replaced parts as described before in mine which resulted in an increase in mileage of 1.5mpg. Wonder how they can fix with a computer change. Sounds fishy and like they are avoiding the "real" repair.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out when cold