G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Engine cutting out when cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
perhaps the chain sprocket itself wore and there's freeplay?

Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM
So I told them 4 weeks in the shop is too much, and I will require them to put me in a different vehicle. I requested to switch to the M or to a Lexus at their sister dealership. The basic answer I've received is to call Inifiniti customer care. I've begun raising hell now, and I plan to contact my attorney early next week. I sent an e-mail to Infiniti this evening.

Sewell Infiniti in Dallas is supposed to offer paramount service, to the point that several books have been written about their "legendary service." They leverage this in their marketing. Having read one of the books, I can say that they are not delivering. I plan to find it and bring it with me to the dealer as a reference guide to what I had expected when purchasing there.

Reality is that I've been driving around a dirty older model loaner with stains in the floorboard and a ripped leather seat. I never liked the older model G35s - just my personal preference. I don't have keyless entry, no nav,etc. which is becomming an annoyance. Yesterday I found out they actually do have newer model loaners, they just didn't give me one. This makes the situation even more annoying.

Also, I found out they did not bring the guy over from Japan to fix my car as was implied, this technician just happened to be coming over on that day. The service rep admitted they would have never been able to fix it had he not shown up. And, I understand that Infiniti knows but isn't telling as they want to put a computer workaround into play instead of the "right" fix for everybody else. That's not very trust inspiring.

Even the service rep at this "legendary" dealer has been much worse than those at my...gulp...Chevrolet dealership prior to this purchase. I had two Chevrolet Tahoes in a row - never in the shop a single time despite tons and tons of hauling, driving, towing and even offroading. These SUVs got the same gas mileage as my current G35. Service was wonderful - free wifi, coffee, snacks, a lounge, etc. My Corvette - never an issue. Our BMW - never an issue - wonderful car. And sadly it's turning out the service there is better too. I never thought I would say that, as BMW service is generally regarded as inferior.

Too many problems with this car. My cruise control has broken, my sunroof molding has fallen out and hit me in the head to the amusement of passengers, the heated seats never functioned correctly, the windows quit working correctly and the car now won't start properly - all with only 3800 miles on the clock. And that is without me getting into the fact that this thing doesn't get anywhere close to the gas mileage listed on the window sticker.

I'm starting to worry I'll get stranded, as a few other posters have listed this as an issue. I'm sure my column will need to be replaced, as I do recall that popping noise when the column locks down. So, I'm guessing I can look forward to driving the dirty loaner car more while I continue to pay for XM radio and a $770 lease payment for the next 17 months.

Sewell, and probably Infiniti, has lost my business for good, as this is just another shady car dealer overpromising and underdelivering. Pathetic when I have friends receiving excellent service and nicer loaner cars at other dealers.

Okay....rant over. Thanks for listening. I'm pissed to be going into the weekend (again) driving this crappy loaner.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:39 AM
holy poo!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Well, they offered me a solution. I traded in the G (now repaired after almost 5 weeks in the shop) on a new M45 Sport. Infiniti gave it to me at $500 below invoice to accomodate my issues.

I am picking it up this afternoon. There are a few G features I'm sure to miss, such as the touch screen, hard drive, etc. Hopefully this will be a good decision, as the M45 seems to be a very nice car.

With my current run of luck, I'm sure the 2008 M45 will roll off the truck when I'm pullling out of the parking lot this afternoon, complete with 0% financing, 760 hp, AWD, a flux capacitor and 18 speed transmission that gets 75 MPG and does 0-60 in 2 seconds. And certainly, just to trump Lexus, it will not only park, but also drive itself.

All kidding aside, I think they ended up taking pretty good care of me and did live up to the book.

Thanks for all the info team. I suppose I'll be moving over to the M section.

Last edited by Magicmirror; 07-10-2007 at 05:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
congrats!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:27 AM
I had the same issue and thought that its normal. I thought that the car has to be warmed to get optimum performance.

When I took it to the dealer for the scheduled check, I told the technician about it and he said that it is not normal and he kept the car to check.

A Couple of days later he called me telling that it was a bug in the program and he updated it.

And its ok now. I can just switch it on and speed!

VidER

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 AM
idling isn't optimal performance, it's minimal

Old 07-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Well, I have been having the same problem. Word from the Infiniti tech guys is that they don't have a solution, but are working on one. Mine isn't as bad as the one described here, but expect that everyone WILL have this problem. It is not normal and has been acknowledged by Infiniti as a problem needing a resolution.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by bogeydog
expect that everyone WILL have this problem.
why do you say that?

Old 07-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Defective part. Design problem.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM
it's either a defective part, or it's a design problem. can't be both.

so i'm going to assume you mean design problem. if that's the case, why aren't all the cars being affected?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Dealer called today. New parts are coming in on Tuesday. Installing Wednesday. Said may take 2 days. Confirms that sprockets are bad on the exhaust side.....

Old 07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
any detail on what "bad" means? wrong cam angle? not enough adjustment capability?

Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
I think I may have experienced this issue last week. I started up G and proceeded to drive at about 1300 RPM instead of the usual 1100 RPM. Temperature was 70 degrees and humidity was higher than normal. I took off more aggressively than normal and had to stop at a light within a mile of my house. As I went to take off again I could feel it cut in and out with the same pressure on accelerator. As I watched tach I could see it go back and forth by about 500 RPM. It went away in about another mile. I am using synthetic 5/30 and always using Chevron Premium. I was about halfway through tank so not likely the fuel. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
I will find out more details Tuesday. Sounds like a car wide problem that requires new parts to be installed in replacement of the defective ones. They said most people won't notice it or pay much attention to it since is doesn't last very long.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine cutting out when cold