G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

How to Park Automatic Tranny?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SPEEED
And I'm a network Engineer. Does that mean that my advice to someone won't/can't screw his router/firewall up?

I've met plenty of Joe Mechanics in my life who I wouldn't trust with a pair of bicycles. Not saying you don't know your job, but your occupation does not automatically means it correlates with a sound advice.

Good luck.
Dude, seriously? Speeed, from your posts you seem like a helpful and reasonable guy. But you just said is that we should take the word of a network engineer over someone who builds trannys for a living. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Sure, he might suck as a mechanic, we don't know; but I'd be more likely to take his advice over yours on trannys, and your advice over his on networks...

Old 02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about winter time. It can freeze and then you have a problem to go. I never use my e-brake.

tg

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my Maxima (13 years ago) the dealer told me I should always use the emergency brake, even if not parking on an incline. His reasoning had nothing to do with protecting the tranny. He said setting the emergeny brake calibrates the brakes. I don't know if that is true or not, but I am wondering if the same now applies to my new '08G.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
heres an idea, park get out, dont make it technical

Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
i cant believe there is a thread about this lolol

Old 02-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by kid4now
Wow it sucks to get attacked for answering someones question with there personal opinion. Even when they work in the industry of the question. I did not see a this is the way you do it or your a dummy comment. Just his opinion from his experience. That was his opinion. Thats what the original poster asked for? Forgive if i`m wrong because it hard to tell the tone of a comment over the internet sometimes.
Originally Posted by Mr_Ryte

Ok SPEEED; back to reality....

We're talking about putting a car in park properly. Network engineering is a whole other level of complexity.

How many times have you personally come across a tranny that has been damaged solely by improper parking procedures?
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Dude, seriously? Speeed, from your posts you seem like a helpful and reasonable guy. But you just said is that we should take the word of a network engineer over someone who builds trannys for a living. Does that seem reasonable to you?

Sure, he might suck as a mechanic, we don't know; but I'd be more likely to take his advice over yours on trannys, and your advice over his on networks...
Looks like my comment was taken out of context or was misunderstood. I didn't doubt his credibility as someone who does it for living. I was just commenting about his advice when it was paired with his profession in the same sentence. I'm not a car mechanic and I won't argue with one on most mechanical topics. Having said that however, on this particular topic, I think he provided bad advice along with mentioning his profession. I then replied by stating that working in the industry does not automatically mean you give out the correct advice.

As I mentioned above, I personally saw my in-laws' gearbox damaged and replaced for this exact reason. They have a 2004 Maxima, which is parked on an incline (daily). They have (had) a daily habit of parking the car, putting it in "P" and letting it slide violently. Guess what... fast forward - two and half years later they went to park the car one day, put it in "P", let go of the brake pedal, and the car started to roll forward . Luckily for them, they had the front wheel turned rightward so it stopped on the curb. The car had to be flat-bedded and the tranny had to be replaced. Of course "your miles may vary" and you won't encounter such a problem. Just be aware of the fact that leaving the car on an incline and letting it rock back and forth, or letting it slide is not a good practice as it can damage your tranny on the long run.

Again, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I apologize if my words were misunderstood. I just don't think it's right to give someone advice while mentioning your profession thereby giving the other party the impression the he/she just got an "officially correct" answer. It can only put one in bad light.

Last edited by SPEEED; 02-07-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
dont worry about it;;;
i've yet to have ANY problems with 5 cars that i drove past 6 years...3 nissan/infiniti, porsche, toyota;

no one will drive this thing for 390850932502 miles; lol

Old 02-07-2008, 10:30 AM
Bad Toro
Originally Posted by JDM 350GT
dont worry about it;;;
i've yet to have ANY problems with 5 cars that i drove past 6 years...3 nissan/infiniti, porsche, toyota;

no one will drive this thing for 390850932502 miles; lol
That's the problem. It has nothing to do with mileage. It has to do with the nature/location of your daily parking spot. Of course if your daily spot is leveled, you won't be affected. But try to do it every day on a steep incline...

Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM

Ok SPEEED; back to reality....

We're talking about putting a car in park properly. Network engineering is a whole other level of complexity.

How many times have you personally come across a tranny that has been damaged solely by improper parking procedures?
What he said...

Let's get back to reality people...

Old 02-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by IvoryWhiteCoupe
i cant believe there is a thread about this lolol
Hey bro, not everyone is well-knowledged about cars.
We all were noobz once.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We all were noobz once.
Its a matter of common sense, its not a matter of being a noob or not.