G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Considering a '08 G35xS - how is the performance and handling?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering a '08 G35xS - how is the performance and handling?

I currently own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, which for those who don't know is a turbocharged AWD car with 250hp/250lb ft torque. It's a quick car, great fun on mountain roads, lots of torque, and the rush of the turbo is amazing. I've grown bored of my car and the lack of features. Test driven the 2008 model of it, but it was a completely different animal, felt as if Subaru clips its ***** off and made if feel like a naturally aspirated 6.

So, I am looking for something that matches its performance, fun factor, and has a great deal of features. I'm currently cross shopping the G37 and the G35xS. For whatever reason, I am not interested in RWD on the sedan, but don't mind it on the coupe. Go figure.

So, how is the G35xS? Will it be a fun car? How is the performance? I have a general idea of the features, since my folks have an EX35. In the summer, I head up to the mountains several times to escape the city, and spend 4-5 days up there. Roads up there are very very twisty, and it's a good 25 minute brisk drive to town, or to well to any sort of civilization. I do go up there in the winter, usually right after Christmas for a week or so.

The question is, how is the G35xS? How would it compare to the G37 (w/ the sport package)? Either way, I would get a 5AT. Recommendations?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I test drove a 07 Spec B back to back with my current 07 G35S 6MT. The spec was a nice car with a butter smooth clutch and of course the excellent turbo 2.5 power plant. What killed it for me was the body roll even with the upgraded suspension bits.

The g35 has a different power curve and a difficult clutch(hope to be fixed soon with the slave cylinder recall), but I really enjoy the suspension feel. I have had the car over a year now and have not regretted my choice once.

Note that I vowed not the ever get an automatic again if I can help it. If the G35X came with a stick, I would have considered it but AWD was not a deal breaker.

On a side note, I am really disappointed with the direction suby is taking. If there had been a Legacy STI available for the US market when I got the G35, it would have been a real tough decision. Instead they soften the next gen legacy and soften the Imprezza STI and make it a hatch, go figure?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Subaru's own rally driver's are the ones that pushed for it being a hatch. Apparently they've been getting their asses handed to them by Ford and Citroen hatchbacks and there are some handling benefits with a hatch.

The G35xS doesn't offer any real performance differences. The S package is primarily a cosmetic package (paddle shifters, 18" wheels, trim differences). I've driven a few plain G35X loaners and test drove one when I bought my '07 G35S 5AT and it's a fine car. It feels as fast as the G35S, performance is good. I think it's definitely a bit more refined than the previous gen subaru turbo vehicles though, so it's a different ride. Fun to toss around though but I still prefer my RWD G35S , especially in the snow.

All the cars I've owned prior to the G35 have been manual cars, and I really wanted a 6MT G35S, but ended up with an auto because I got a good deal. I don't really miss the clutch, and the paddle shifters are fun enough.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GodWhomIsMike
I currently own a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, which for those who don't know is a turbocharged AWD car with 250hp/250lb ft torque. It's a quick car, great fun on mountain roads, lots of torque, and the rush of the turbo is amazing. I've grown bored of my car and the lack of features. Test driven the 2008 model of it, but it was a completely different animal, felt as if Subaru clips its ***** off and made if feel like a naturally aspirated 6.

So, I am looking for something that matches its performance, fun factor, and has a great deal of features. I'm currently cross shopping the G37 and the G35xS. For whatever reason, I am not interested in RWD on the sedan, but don't mind it on the coupe. Go figure.

So, how is the G35xS? Will it be a fun car? How is the performance? I have a general idea of the features, since my folks have an EX35. In the summer, I head up to the mountains several times to escape the city, and spend 4-5 days up there. Roads up there are very very twisty, and it's a good 25 minute brisk drive to town, or to well to any sort of civilization. I do go up there in the winter, usually right after Christmas for a week or so.

The question is, how is the G35xS? How would it compare to the G37 (w/ the sport package)? Either way, I would get a 5AT. Recommendations?
you will need snow tires in the winter wiht the xS, even with the X maybe, the X is a rear wheel drive car that has a clutch pack in the front that kicks in when you need 4wd.
so it handles like a rear wheel car. and u can break the rear loose and then u feel the front kick in. so its not awd like the subi.
the power curve is MUCH different then a turboed car. much more low end power the grows to 7000 RPMS. unlike a turbo that kicks in like a powerband at 4500+
i think the G would be an upgrade in performance and power to the subi.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
you will need snow tires in the winter wiht the xS, even with the X maybe, the X is a rear wheel drive car that has a clutch pack in the front that kicks in when you need 4wd.
so it handles like a rear wheel car. and u can break the rear loose and then u feel the front kick in. so its not awd like the subi.
the power curve is MUCH different then a turboed car. much more low end power the grows to 7000 RPMS. unlike a turbo that kicks in like a powerband at 4500+
i think the G would be an upgrade in performance and power to the subi.

I learned the hard way up in the mountains in the winter that snows are important. Didn't have an accident, but snowy mountain roads are scary as **** with all seasons.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
yup, just because you have 4wd or awd and u can accelerate better and not get stuck, doesn't mean you can stop better.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by snowcrossmxz
yup, just because you have 4wd or awd and u can accelerate better and not get stuck, doesn't mean you can stop better.
:lol: I've gotten stuck :lol:

Power is distributed 45% front and 55% rear.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I'm looking for something that's gonna have very nice acceleration, like getting on a highway and good handling for those times when I am up in the mountains carving up 20 miles of twisties each way to and from town.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Go for a test drive and see for yourself. I cross shopped the SpecB against the G35X and there really is no contest; the hands-down winner is the G. It is more refined and definately handles better than the Subaru. The Sport package on the G35X will give you sport seats with adjustable bolsters, 18" wheels, paddle shifters and some other minor stuff. The seats feel great and the wheels look better than the 17" so for the additional $1,100 I would say it's worth the difference (for the seats alone).

Sedan vs coupe - check insurance rates for both and drive both to see which one you like better. The interior look and feel is pretty close either way. I've read in some magazine that the sedan is like a 350Z with four doors (NICE). Consider whether you really want or need the AWD (lots of snow or no?).

Ultimately, let the test drive help you decide. You will love the performance and handling of both so be ready for a tough decision.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
^Then the G35XS is for you.

This is what my dad is getting in April. Its a fantastic car.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Too bad you can't get the sedan in Athens Blue.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:26 PM
i got my g35xs 3 weeks ago and im happy with my choice. i got to drive it in the snow today. it handles great. the only thing i dont like about the car so far is that when i let go of the gas the rpm starts dropping and it acts as if im pressing on the brake. it really pisses me of but whatever. the car has power when u do press on the gas

Old 02-12-2008, 09:29 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Being a Subaru fan and selling Infiniti's makes me wish I owned both at the same time.

The Infiniti will be faster, but feel slower. Infiniti's AWD is electronic; its RWD under good conditions to save you on wear and tear as well as gas.

Give me a call and we'll have a pretty good chat

-MIke

Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
I went from the first generation G35 coupe to the 2008 G35x and I am very pleasantly suprised on both the power of the VQ35HR vs the VQ35DE and also how well the car handles compared to the Coupe. The Coupe certainly gave the impression of better handling but I think the G35x is a perfect balance of comfort vs. handling. It is much smoother than my coupe but at the same time still gives you the sense of spirited driving if you want it and still need to feel the rush.

I am still in my break-in period so I have not really had a chance to push the VQ35HR too hard yet, but my impression is that it is definitely a step up from the old VQ35DE.

Jim

Old 02-15-2008, 03:58 PM
I've had the xS for 2 months now. Impressed and more than content.
The Dunlop tires are far superior to the RSAs which I had on my 05.
They grip quite well. Even handle well in the snow and challenges the saying "No Season". Handles really well in the rain.
Refined acceleration, no complaints.

I looked at everything in the same market space.
I've had several other luxury brands and I endorse this car highly.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering a '08 G35xS - how is the performance and handling?