G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

G35 vs. G35x drivetrain & mileage Qs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 vs. G35x drivetrain & mileage Qs

Hey guys,

I'm not having a lot of luck finding this in searches so I thought i would post.

I started on old Volvos so i'm familiar with snow and rwd. The last 10 years or so i've been in an awd jeep GC and while i like the ability to plow into parking spots without the fear of getting stuck, most of my big ticket repairs have been replacing AWD parts, so i'm leery of getting another AWD vehicle to cover the 24-36hr period between the snowfall and clear streets that can happen for 4-5mo out of the year.

I'm looking for a 2007 G35 sedan right now and living in the Chicago area is seriously limiting my choices. About 75% of everything i see is G35x, the rest is G35 or Journeys with about 1% sport and no 6MT. Sadly i'm looking for a sport, but I'm beginning to expand my options to include both the Journey and the G35x, which i may just buy a sport seat and bigger rims and slap in it. The upgraded brakes and suspension i can just slap in after a couple of years when they need to be replaced.

So my question is:
1) My jeep lost about 28-30% of it's power on the drivetrain. What's the difference between the G35 and the G35x? With a 150lb difference between the two i'm guessing 90% of that is drivetrain (axles/gearbox), which should make a significiant difference.

2) is there a noticible MPG difference between the regulars and the X? (I found a lot of posts where they mention their mileage, but they don't mention what they're driving in their sig, so i couldn't get a straight answer)

3) who drives a RWD in a town that salts the streets and do you have traction issues?

4) Reliability of the G35x components. are they notoriously problematic or expensive?

5) has anyone had any experience with dealers putting on extras on a used car as part of the purchase? i.e. sport tires are a $400 option on new G35s, would they extend something similar for a 1yr old?

Sorry for the long post, i wanted to give some background since i'm still new to the forums. (been reading forum for about a year, just started posting)

Thanks!
Jon

Last edited by thanmad; 02-26-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
If I remember correctly when we held one of our week long cruises, Garnet Canuck and myself had identical 07 G35 cars with mine being the X. We were driving the same roads and the same average speeds. The difference in gas consumption was minimal, meaning there was not a great deal of difference in our gas consumption, when we filled up.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, around here, I mostly see G35x's of all years, hardly see any RWD ones. When I bought mine used, there was only 1 other 6mt available. If you really want a 6mt, I'd say wait it out, check every week or so, and one is bound to pop up.

I've been driving through our hellish winter and no traction issues. I have Blizzaks, which help alot. Good luck in your car search....

I've never had dealers put on extras, but anything goes when you deal, so put your offer out there and see what the dealer says

Old 02-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by thanmad
1) My jeep lost about 28-30% of it's power on the drivetrain. What's the difference between the G35 and the G35x? With a 150lb difference between the two i'm guessing 90% of that is drivetrain (axles/gearbox), which should make a significiant difference.

2) is there a noticible MPG difference between the regulars and the X? (I found a lot of posts where they mention their mileage, but they don't mention what they're driving in their sig, so i couldn't get a straight answer)
My Butt-dyno tells me they're pretty damn close. Numbers online from the various review sites have similar 0-60 and 1/4 mile times with the x being only slightly slower. I'm currently in a G35x loaner right now and I have a G35S RWD normally. The G35x is actually getting better mileage than my G35S normally does. I reset the mileage indicator when I got the loaner and I'm around 18 mpg, where my G35S regular hovers at 15-17 mpg. I've done a little more highway driving today and less city driving getting to work from the dealer so that might explain the slightly better mileage for the 30 or so miles I've driven today.

3) who drives a RWD in a town that salts the streets and do you have traction issues?
Twin cities minnesota, so lots of salt. I don't have traction issues but I have dedicated 17" rims with snow tires.

I can't answer the rest of your questions, but I can say I have zero problems with my G35S RWD in minnesota winters. Snow tires are an absolute must though.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Ahh, the precision butt-dyno strikes again...it's so hard to find a shop that can afford to keep one of those on hand

It sounds like awd has gotten better since my jeep, and if the mileage numbers are so close that even the enthusiasts can't tell the difference, that's pretty impressive imo. I've been pretty happy with the "buy something and hold it for 10 years" theory, so if i'm in it for the long haul. If anyone that has one of the older Xs can chime in on reliability of the awd parts

Yeah, if i end up finding a RWD that i like, a set of new rims and blizzaks or similar are in order.

How do you like your 6MT kvangil?

Old 02-26-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally Posted by thanmad
How do you like your 6MT kvangil?
I love it! Took a little getting used to at first, but once you're used to it, it's butter-smooth.... Clutch pedal is a little stiffer than my previous cars, but the shifter action is very precise. 6MT in the winter is a piece of cake.

It's hard finding anything with a manual tranny around here these days, except the cheapest of econoboxes...

Old 02-27-2008, 04:34 AM
Here is a little article to read

http://http://www.roadandtrack.com/a...r=10#reardrive

I have the G since 2006 Nov. and no issue with the AWD system at all.

tg

Old 02-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Interesting, this may account for the similar economoy. Pasted from the link tg1234 posted:

The G35x's center diff is responsible. From 0 to 10 mph, its electromagnetic wet clutch splits the torque 25 percent front/75 percent rear for good grip off the line; thereafter, the car is 100-percent rear drive until rear-wheel slip is sensed. Then, the diff can send as much as 50 percent of the power forward. Although other awd systems will produce different results, the G35x proves that all-wheel drive, properly applied, can give you the best of both worlds.
If the front axle is just freewheeling 90% of the time it's the rear wheels that are indirectly moving the extra weight of the front drivetrain.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I found this part interesting, I'm surprised (and happy i bought the Gx)

Based on group average times on the dry autocross, the awd G35x proved itself faster, surprising us with its rear-biased manners and lapping nearly a second (0.9 sec.) quicker than the rear-drive G35. In the wet the G35x fared even better, 1.3 sec. quicker than the rear-drive G35.

Credit goes to the electronically controlled awd system, which maintains a rear-drive bias while endowing the car with improved stability. Don't get us wrong, the G35x still liked to hang its tail out, but the driver didn't need to be quite so careful with the throttle to keep the car's back end in check. In the rear-drive G35, the driver had to be far less aggressive with the throttle (and quicker with corrections) to post respectable times. Wet or dry, the awd G35x was far easier to drive quickly.
And I thought I screwed up by buying it.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:50 PM
I had a slightly modified 2002 TJ. The AWD in the G is a completely different animal than what you see in a Jeep.

I have had my G35xS for about 2000 miles now and I am quite pleased with the AWD. It might be a tad slower and heavier than the RWD, it is still the fastest and best handling car I have ever owned.

I am averaging 19-20mpg which seems to be pretty similar to the RWD models. My Jeep on the other hand averaged 14 so I'm really not too upset at the "bad" fuel economy.

Edit: I *really* miss that Jeep, but the G is way more fun to drive, even in the snow.

Last edited by JeepZen; 02-27-2008 at 07:58 PM.