G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

New owner- how to I get the analog clock backlight on? Brake vibration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner- how to I get the analog clock backlight on? Brake vibration?

Hi all-
I'm the proud new owner of an 08 G35s LP with charcoal interior. Love it so far except for two things. The sweet analog clock in the dash should have a backlight, no? I can't seem to find where to turn it on. I adjusted the dash illumination all the way between min and max (the buttons to the left of the gauges on the cluster) but they had no effect on the dash clock. I noticed in a pic I saw that there is a glowing ring around the navi dial controller as well, and I can't recall if that was on or not in mine as well. Let me know how to get that clock glowing please.

I'm coming from a 2005 BMW M3 convertible, so this feels consideribly different. Still very nice, but much quieter of course, while still firm riding like I like. The steering on my RWD Sport model feels a little loose/numb compared to the M3, but it was an M3 after all. It would be nice if the steering assistance was adjustable to provide firmer feel, but this is a moderatly priced car after all. I can live with it and will get used to it.

One thing that is a slight concern is the brake feel. When braking I notice some shudder or vibration almost every time I brake. I never noticed that in the M3. They seem to stop just fine, then just feel a little rough doing it with the vibrations, even in normal around-town driving. Since the car is new I assume it was fully checked out by the factory, but should I check with the dealer on this or is it normal?

Also, my car is brand spankin' new, under 100 miles so far. I'm going to fully read the owners manual (what a tome) this weekend, but for the short version, can someone enlighten me about the proper break-in procedure? Thanks!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Stay below 4000k rpm and try not to drive at steady speed for the first 1200 miles.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Thanks, just the kind of basic info I needed before digesting the manual. Does your analog clock glow? How do I turn that on?

Old 04-04-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by mikemav
Does your analog clock glow? How do I turn that on?
The backlight on clock & dial should glow when the headlights are on or if lights are on second setting (setting after auto).

Old 04-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts
G35x
Sounds like the clock light is out. I would take to dealer.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I say take it back to the dealer. As far as the brakes, I have alway thought it was one of the better brake system out there. Smooth to the feel and very effective. IF your's is not buttery smooth, take it to the dealer. Make sure you verify this on different road surfaces and at different speeds.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine developed the brake shudder a little later in life. I took it back to the dealer and had them resurface the rotors. Everything is great now, nice and smooth.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemodular
I say take it back to the dealer. As far as the brakes, I have alway thought it was one of the better brake system out there. Smooth to the feel and very effective. IF your's is not buttery smooth, take it to the dealer. Make sure you verify this on different road surfaces and at different speeds.
+1 I thought I had a similar problem, then realized it was happening only on certain roads. After investigation, these roads have minor ripples that typically aren't felt, except when you really weight the front tires with braking.

On the clock backlight, the ring around the selector dial should light up in royal blue - if it isn't, sounds like some bulbs are out.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I'll bet it's that I have the headlight switch on Auto. I'll switch it to the setting after that. Will they still turn off when I exit the car (after the delay), or do I need to turn them off at the stalk this way every time?

I'll check about the brakes with the dealer when I go back next week to get a walk-through of the car's functions which we didn't have time for at delivery.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Backlight

Mike,
Even on auto, when the headlights turn on, the backlights should turn on. As stated above by others, you must have some bulbs out.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:35 AM
Have not driven the car at night yet, so it may be they work and I didn't know. I'll turn on the lights and check it out. I assumed it would glow all the time like the dash gauges, headlights on or not. If it doesn't work I'm sure the dealer will check the bulbs.

Old 04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by longbutthair
Mike,
Even on auto, when the headlights turn on, the backlights should turn on. As stated above by others, you must have some bulbs out.
+1 Was just in my car, can confirm that when the lights turn on (parking or headlights, auto or manual), the clock backlight and the ring around the selector dial should turn on. Note that the entire clock face lights up, and the clear ring around the dial turns royal blue.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, my car also had the steering wheel "shake" while braking at high speeds. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the rotors. I thought it was just me, but I guess it's a little more common. Other than this minor setback, the car is great and a blast to drive.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemav
Have not driven the car at night yet, so it may be they work and I didn't know. I'll turn on the lights and check it out. I assumed it would glow all the time like the dash gauges, headlights on or not. If it doesn't work I'm sure the dealer will check the bulbs.
Should look like this with any lights on...manual or auto

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 04-04-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by owls94
Unfortunately, my car also had the steering wheel "shake" while braking at high speeds. I took it in to the dealer and they replaced the rotors. I thought it was just me, but I guess it's a little more common. Other than this minor setback, the car is great and a blast to drive.
I also have the shutter. My guess is the rotors are not very high end and can't take the heat well.
I'm living with it until I need pads and I'll just replace them with something better at the same time.
I'm not going to bother with resurfacing as it will just happen again, only sooner now that the rotor is thinner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New owner- how to I get the analog clock backlight on? Brake vibration?