G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Decision on 4WAS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Decision on 4WAS

In a few weeks when I return from Iraq with my fat reenlistment check, I plan on buying a new G37. I've done tons of research and been reading up on the forums here for the past month or so -- great info here!

I plan on getting the 6MT fully loaded, but I'm still debating on the 4-wheel active steering. I know this is different from the old 4-wheel steeing desings from 20 yrs ago and such. I saw the video posted of the "panic" lane change with and without 4WAS, and I'm willing to throw the extra couple bucks down for it. From a commuting standpoint it looks like a good option, but my question is here: what about from a racing standpoint? Now I don't drag race, I don't drift race, I don't street race. I'm talking "road" circuit courses. How will 4WAS affect the performance and handling from a race perspective? Any insight from anyone?

Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would recommend against 4WAS. While it provides stability from a lane change standpoint, in terms of overall handling, it's probably less predictable.

Additionally, if you have interest in modding your car, 4WAS may cause some issues. For example, I know HKS's coilovers for the 07+ Gs are not compatible w/ 4WAS. Additionally, if you go with aggressive wheel fitments, it would just add another dimension to the whole issue of possible rubbing in the rear.

Now, if you're going to keep the car stock, then maybe it's not that big of a deal.

The way I see it, just added complexity and weight for arguably minimal gains in overall performance.

If you REALLY want handling improvements, get a G37xS. I remember a Road and Track or Motor Trend article where they tested the 1st gen G35 RWD vs. X. The X version was significantly quicker around a road course - like by a couple of seconds, not just a few tenths.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
If you REALLY want handling improvements, get a G37xS. I remember a Road and Track or Motor Trend article where they tested the 1st gen G35 RWD vs. X. The X version was significantly quicker around a road course - like by a couple of seconds, not just a few tenths.
I had considered the X at first, but I really enjoy a manual transmission. Considering stick shifts seem harder to find these days, I don't imagine being able to combine the X with a manual tranny without some aftermarket mods. Too much for me. I'd rather have the shifter than the AWD considering I live in the south.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The 4was does make a noticeable difference. I hate to bench rate, but just look at the slalom times...

The AWD lets you power out a lot earlier, which is why it COULD be faster on a road course; it all depends on the course.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:44 PM
I've never seen a 4WAS car tasted in a publication. It's already too late for me to get 4WAS on my order but I'd be curious to know what the slalom differences you're alluding to are.

Old 11-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe its roughly a 2-2.5mph difference, which is quite significant, but I don't remember the publications that did that

Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
If it helps any...

4WAS Demonstration.

And some comments from Edmunds:

In light of our more positive experience with an automatic 2008 G37 coupe, we blame the 4WAS system. The 4WAS attempts to vary the steering ratio between 12:1 and 20:1, and swivels the rear wheels up to 1 degree in line with the fronts. All this contributes to the G37 coupe's high-speed stability but seems to reduce the car's appetite for corners.

In the more controlled environment of our instrumented testing facility, 4WAS doesn't seem to hamper the G37, and the car maintains 71.3 mph through the slalom. The supersize brakes are not quite up to their promise, as the 3,715-pound G37 stops in 115 feet from 60 mph on its first run, but fades to 122 feet by the fifth run.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Additionally, i think for a road course setting (or even Auto-X?) it may not be worth getting as it hampers performance on the corners. I believe 300zx owners had their RAS disabled when going on the track, citing this as one of the reasons for doing so.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have any experience with the Infiniti 4WAS system so this is a more general comment. Several manufacturers (mostly Japanese) have introduced 4WAS over the last 20 years and it has never become a popular option with buyers. GM had a more sophisticated system on a vehicle that benefitted much more than the G35 but, it sold in very low numbers.

From Wikipedia.....

General Motors offers Delphi's Quadrasteer in their consumer Silverado/Sierra and Suburban/Yukon. However, only 16,500 vehicles have been sold with this system since its introduction in 2002 through 2004. Due to this low demand, GM will not offer the technology on the 2007 update to these vehicles.

Previously, Honda had four-wheel steering as an option in their 1987-2000 Prelude, and Mazda also offered four-wheel steering on the 626 and MX6 in 1988. Neither system was very popular, in that whatever improvement they brought to these already excellent-handling vehicles was offset by an unavoidable decrease in sensitivity caused by the increased weight and complexity.
The GM system was introduced for their full size truck platform and would steer the rear wheels in the same direction as the front to reduce understeer at high speeds. In addition, at low speeds it would steer the rear wheels in the opposite direction to enhance manueverability in parking lots etc.

It should have helped a lot with that sort of vehicle. And by all accounts it did. But for whatever reason, buyers were not willing to pay for it and GM dropped it. I've seen lukewarm press on the G35 4WAS system as well and predict it will become that oddball option on used Infiniti's 5 years from now. In other words, Infiniti will drop it like everyone else. It will be a quirky footnote in automotive history. But, not because it doesn't work.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Well after much consideration, I think I am going to not get the 4WAS on my new G37. Not that I'm not interested or think it's a bad option, but like stated above it is an option that has mixed results for my useage, as well as added complexity, weight, and cost. I plan on keeping my car for a longer period of time. If I was just going to lease or buy another in a few years, I might go for it. But 5-7 years down the road it's going to need expensive maintenance for a low-sold option. One of the reasons I like a stick shift is for the simplicity and the control. I've seen when things go bad and an AT can get "confused" or complicate problems or worse yet mask problems. A complicated steering system may be beneficial at rare times, a novelty at others, and a hinderance in the distant future.

I like the 4WAS, and if I didn't plan on keeping the car for 10 years I'd get it. But to me the pros pretty much equal the cons. Edged out by cost (is $1300 really much after a $40,000+ car though) and the long term maintenance.

Any last inputs, or other people who have been considering the 4WAS, for or against?

Old 11-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by CuddysG37
Well after much consideration, I think I am going to not get the 4WAS on my new G37. Not that I'm not interested or think it's a bad option, but like stated above it is an option that has mixed results for my useage, as well as added complexity, weight, and cost. I plan on keeping my car for a longer period of time. If I was just going to lease or buy another in a few years, I might go for it. But 5-7 years down the road it's going to need expensive maintenance for a low-sold option. One of the reasons I like a stick shift is for the simplicity and the control. I've seen when things go bad and an AT can get "confused" or complicate problems or worse yet mask problems. A complicated steering system may be beneficial at rare times, a novelty at others, and a hinderance in the distant future.

I like the 4WAS, and if I didn't plan on keeping the car for 10 years I'd get it. But to me the pros pretty much equal the cons. Edged out by cost (is $1300 really much after a $40,000+ car though) and the long term maintenance.

Any last inputs, or other people who have been considering the 4WAS, for or against?
CuddysG37,

You certainly are entitled to your viewpoint, but before you make the decision not to opt for the 4WAS, you may want to actually drive a G with and without the option to actually experience the difference. That's what I did, and the difference is impressive.

I have it on my 2007 G35S, and have found it to be quite effective, especially with spririted driving on a curvy, winding road. I have almost 35,000 miles on my G, and it has performed flawlessly and has been maintenance free for the entire time (I have had my car for almost 3 years now). When you say that "5-7 years down the road it's going to need expensive maintenance for a low-sold option" what type of maintenance are you expecting? The system is computer controlled aside from the mechanicals to actually pivot the rear wheels, and I don't believe it adds a significant amount of weight to the car - i.e. unlike the AWD option. Also, I would agree that is is a complex system, but it is so well integrated into the design of the of the G that it is literally undetectable (until you get behind the wheel and take the G for a spin!).

Bottom line - when you are spending $40K + for a new car, what's another $1,300?

If it's the money, or the inabiltity to do mods to the car, that's legitimate. But if your decision is solely based on the varying opinions here and in the Auto Press, then you owe it to yourself to find out for yourself.

Just my 2-cents worth.

Good Luck,

Old 11-06-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i have the 4was and i have disscussed it to detail in other post so i wont babble about it too much here, some ppl have a great insight of it especially Mike, with personal experience its simply WORTH every penny at high speeds if you are the type that uses it, especially in high speed lane changes, the car is in too much control(did i just say that?) i friend who has the g37S was even amazed when i cut in between... its worth it IMO and his

Old 11-07-2008, 02:15 AM
I guess I'm really still on the fence about the 4WAS. I think you're right, I just need to test drive one with and without to compare. Once I get back stateside, I'll make the long trek to my nearest Infiniti dealer and drive a few. I want to compare the 4WAS and also want to check out the new 7-speed auto even though I have my heart set on a manual. I also want to test drive the new Maxima. Not so interested in buying one, but want to see how it compares and to get a feel for the CVT.

[Edit]
And one more thing, I've read that the 4WAS will turn the rear wheels by up to 1º of steering, which isn't much. However, I'd like to consider lowering the car a little. Is this really going to interfere?

Last edited by CuddysG37; 11-07-2008 at 10:08 AM.