G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Effect of missing Limited Slip Diff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Effect of missing Limited Slip Diff

Hi All,

I've been reading this community for six months solid. If all goes according to plan, I should have a 2007 G35 in my driveway in a few weeks.

The G35S has a LSD. Now what happens when apply WOT on a G35 (base, not X or S)? How is that torque distributed to the two rear wheels? Do you find yourself in a situation where one wheel may really spin in place with the other doing nothing? Does traction control help in any way?

How silly are these cars to drive without an LSD?

I understand what LSD does in theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential), I'm asking how the G35 performs without one.

J

Last edited by jcrayamsterdam; 09-13-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL

This is my fav... but I am a nerd...

But seriously

Unless your planning on racing or drifting your car you won't tell a difference.

I know there was an article a while back where a 2005 or 2006 G35X lapped a track faster than the RWD version because they could drive the car faster and the AWD only helped the car when it lost traction...

I think it was Car and Driver who did the comparo.

If you are driving on public roads there is really no need for a LSD. If you are racing then the LSD would make a big difference.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Thanks CerveloR3-SL. Cervelo like the bikes? My friend picked up one for a triathlon, incredible bikes...

Anyway got it. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I was curious if I could detect any real difference in the normal every day world, not a track.

Thanks!

Old 09-13-2010, 03:47 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
non lsd tends to slip a lot. traction control does do a good job on getting it balanced, but the best way is to just lift your foot off the pedal.

I have non lsd and having hotchkis sways, going down steep drive ways or sharp turns in wet area, causes my slip light to come on pretty quick.

but for all daily street driving, having non lsd doesn't effect me at all.

my input.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
non lsd tends to slip a lot. traction control does do a good job on getting it balanced, but the best way is to just lift your foot off the pedal.

I have non lsd and having hotchkis sways, going down steep drive ways or sharp turns in wet area, causes my slip light to come on pretty quick.

but for all daily street driving, having non lsd doesn't effect me at all.

my input.
Thanks LightsOut, that's precisely the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by jcrayamsterdam
Thanks CerveloR3-SL. Cervelo like the bikes? My friend picked up one for a triathlon, incredible bikes...

Anyway got it. That's exactly what I wanted to know. I was curious if I could detect any real difference in the normal every day world, not a track.

Thanks!
Yep the bikes... They are pretty sweet from an engineering perspective. I love mine... Cycling became my new love - over cars a few years ago...

Yeah I have taken some 90 deg corners at like 20-40 mph and drifted the car and I can't tell. I know that a LSD will allow you to be smother and corner better as you will be able to put more power down in the turns.

I would think that throwing on some coil overs would eliminated any handling problems you see the car having.

I have driven lots of cars, and this car is very nimble and capable.
Its no S2000/Boxter/Caymen when it comes to handling, but I have to say I am happy with the ride quality and handling ability. Its a good mix and the AWD is SOOO much fun in the snow.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 PM

Here is the Video i was thinking of. It would have been interesting to see what the non LSD would have done in the rain.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah so this is what I was getting at.

So you think in every day 'spirited' driving I would notice this on the road? I`m thinking when I push it a bit while coming out of a quick corner, lets say an on ramp, I wouldn`t really be able to smash the throttle without having one wheel spin uselessly.

I guess you have to be in DS and steadily increase throttle while you`re coming out of a turn?

It sounds more like it`s how you`re driving the car (normal or track like), rather than where you`re actually driving.

Anyway, I think I have my answer. I should just shut up and drive it.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL

But seriously

Unless your planning on racing or drifting your car you won't tell a difference.

I know there was an article a while back where a 2005 or 2006 G35X lapped a track faster than the RWD version because they could drive the car faster and the AWD only helped the car when it lost traction...

I think it was Car and Driver who did the comparo.

If you are driving on public roads there is really no need for a LSD. If you are racing then the LSD would make a big difference.
I don't agree - if you like "spirited" driving, and hit the gas coming out of corners, it's not hard to get the inside wheel to spin. Ditto when entering a road in traffic, and hitting the gas hard to merge.

So it's a noticeable difference. Whether or not you NEED it is up to you.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:55 PM
So your saying that the difference is a spinning wheel....

I agree with you there..

But what exactly will you notice?

That the right turn at the intersection just took you .03 seconds longer to accelerate? You will notice that you chirped the tires?

If you are talking fun, one could argue that the non LSD would be more fun as you would feel more out of control as the car will oversteer more easliy. However if you plan on holding the drift and the slide then you need an LSD as i posted with the videos, its just more controllable.

With a LSD all you feel is a smooth turning corner like the car is on rails. Everything moves fast and is kinda boring. Fast lines means smooth and boring driving dynamics.

Frankly this car does not have enough torque to worry about spinning the tires excessively. 260-270 lbs feet is good but not traction breaking in an automatic at least. I feel that this the engine needs to be reved more.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:08 AM
It is not traction breaking in your XS. Your AWD kicks in fast. Try the S and VDC off.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM
non lsd more out of control.... would be right.. in the rain it sucks, in the snow really sucks without... If you want more tire spin at red lights then get no lsd.

I will continue to say I will not own a car with out some type of limited slip.

If you want how the car should really perform get it, and the seats and brakes,, it is the best!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 G35 Journey Sedan no sunroof
It's very subtle. LSD has a little bit better bite on corners from a dead stop, but you only notice it for about 1/10 of a second. My old '92 Q45 had LSD but no traction control and there were only a few intersections where I could feel it working -- and it helped in the snow/ice (which is rare in atlanta). Sticky summer tires are soooooooooooooo much more important.

It's something I would pay for as a standalone option, but I don't think it's worth buying a package of stuff you don't really want just to get the LSD.