G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Peformance G35 & G35x?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Peformance G35 & G35x?

Is there any big performance differences between the two?

I live in northern MN and the G35x would be the ideal choice but if there is a big performance difference I don't want to go that route when I can just get some winter tires.

Thank you for any information it will make my purchase so much easier!

PS - Both would be 5AT

Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Is there a "BIG" performance difference on dry pavement?
The answer is no. There are plenty of "us vs them" threads already here and there's no need to start another one.
If you are not looking for a MT, the rest of the bits and pieces that differ between the two models do not add up to huge performance pluses or minuses.

I have not driven a RWD G in the snow but I can assure you that the AWD is phenominal in the snow.
As for snow tires, you should have snow tires on either model if you see any real amounts of snow. I run snows on my X.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Well could you point me in the directions of those threads, because I could not find them?
And I didn't literally mean "BIG" difference just wondering which is faster RWD vs AWD in automatic.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Is there a "BIG" performance difference on dry pavement?
The answer is no. There are plenty of "us vs them" threads already here and there's no need to start another one.
If you are not looking for a MT, the rest of the bits and pieces that differ between the two models do not add up to huge performance pluses or minuses.

I have not driven a RWD G in the snow but I can assure you that the AWD is phenominal in the snow.
As for snow tires, you should have snow tires on either model if you see any real amounts of snow. I run snows on my X.
+1 on this...

With RWD and 300hp it can get a bit hairy going up slick snow covered hills. But with snows and the AWD it makes this car nearly unstoppable in cold weather...

I think the official #s are like 5.2 rwd vs 5.4 awd. to 60mph.. something that is not noticable.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by CerveloR3-SL
+1 on this...

With RWD and 300hp it can get a bit hairy going up slick snow covered hills. But with snows and the AWD it makes this car nearly unstoppable in cold weather...

I think the official #s are like 5.2 rwd vs 5.4 awd. to 60mph.. something that is not noticable.
Wouldn't the top end be slower like on most AWD cars? I guess I shouldn't have been so broad...

Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"ATTESA E-TS all-wheel-drive system, was designed with the idea that it's possible to achieve all-season traction without giving up that summer, rwd fun. ATTESA E-TS uses an active torque distribution system with an electromagnetic center differential to distribute the power front to rear. From a standing start, the G35x has a 25/75 front/rear torque split, but will immediately shift to 50/50 if the system senses wheel slip. Once the G35x is cruising, it shifts back to full-time rear drive to improve fuel economy. And fun. The G35x also features a Snow Mode, which locks the system"
Car And Driver
IMO since at higher speeds it would be engaged in full RWD mode the top end wouldn't be much different beside the fact you have an extra 300 or lbs from the AWD system. If it snows where you live get the X

Old 10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok thank you for that information will be going with the X I just didn't want to give up the fun but it sounds like that it will be too.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is not the most acurate from C and D but close enough. Basically the car is based on RWD and kicks in the awd when slip detected. The snow mode locks it in till 12mph(19kph).

Out of all the AWD system I believe this is the closest you get to the RWD feel and have the AWD with it. In test it beats the 335XI. The differences between the 2(RWD vs AWD) is coming from the tires. Equipped with the same tires the 2 cars pull almost identical numbers.

If you have snow in your area a lot and you are planning to use the car every day. The X would be your best bet.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if u dont spend 3-4 months under snow, Dont get X. THats coming from an X driver.
I live in NY, it snows what 3-5times a winter tops. SO rest of the time, Im beat on so many things like mods for the suspension or tranny.
Oh yea i get about 10mpg on a good day of driving VERY Slow.
Reg/spirited driving is about 7-8mpg =]

Old 10-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I live in Northern MN (about 1 hour and 30 min from canada ha) so it would probably come in handy for me.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM
The vq36 sedans get much better mileage than 10mpg. I have an 08x and I've got a heavy right foot and I get around 10-20 mpg.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
my fx35 AWD gets 15-17mpg under normal driving city, and my 6MT RWD gets me a whopping 18-22mpg with normal/spirited mixed with 50-70% hwy....

The mpg is not a huge difference as is the performance between the AWD and RWD, rather the things to consider would be the "fun" aspect, modding market, advantages of awd and the few cosmetic differences. At the end its up to your personal preference really...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by iiiiiekoiiiii
if u dont spend 3-4 months under snow, Dont get X. THats coming from an X driver.
I live in NY, it snows what 3-5times a winter tops. SO rest of the time, Im beat on so many things like mods for the suspension or tranny.
Oh yea i get about 10mpg on a good day of driving VERY Slow.
Reg/spirited driving is about 7-8mpg =]
Ive got an 08 x and get 18 city and 25 hwy. Sounds like you need to see a dealer because you have some major issues if your only getting 10mpg.

Immaculate,
If your looking for fun, having a non x in MN isn't going to be fun. Get the X and have a blast all year round!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
eko has a 1st gen

Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by sjbyrne
Ive got an 08 x and get 18 city and 25 hwy. Sounds like you need to see a dealer because you have some major issues if your only getting 10mpg.

Immaculate,
If your looking for fun, having a non x in MN isn't going to be fun. Get the X and have a blast all year round!!!
I do it, and so do quite a few others.

If you are in way northern MN, i'd get an X WITH snows. I have been to international falls and those areas during the winter and that snow is enough that would make me want AWD with snow tires. That is MY recommendation (coming from an MN RWD owner)

Down in the cities, we get the plows so it isn't that big of a deal.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Peformance G35 & G35x?