G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Hi. First post. I am in water spot / hard water stain h*ll. Please advise.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi. First post. I am in water spot / hard water stain h*ll. Please advise.

I know that this isn't specific to a model. But about 24 hours ago I bought a used 2008 G35 sedan, silver with tan interior. I am insanely excited. I'm coming from a second-hand 2002 chevy malibu and this is my first "nice" car.

As you might imagine, I am detailing it, researching mods, basically going crazy.

One thing that actually is driving me mad in a bad way is the fact that there are hard water spots all over the chrome trim, rims, and exterior glass.

So I went crazy on it. Sprayed it with white vinegar and water. That did absolutely nothing. Used a stove cleaner. Nothing. Used Miguars (sp?) Ultimate Compound. Actually, after about 30 minutes of scrubbing with about 5 different shammies, reduced it by about 10%. There must be a better way.

Or is there? Are hard water stains there forever? I've never encountered this before, because I've never owned a car with chrome on it.

Please help and advise!

Thanks in advance.

Later.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Ultimate compound on an applicator pad took off all my hard water stains off the trim and windows. You are probably using something with no bite, try buying the cloth applicator pads at Advance, Not the Microfiber ones.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
True... I was actually thinking of maybe using 0000 steel wool. What do you think?

Old 05-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The trick is to soak thick paper towels in the white vinegar, and then lay then on the area wit hthe hard water spots and let it sit for a few minutes. I had hard water spots on my windows and this did the trick. Not sure how it would work on the trim tho. *try at your own risk*

Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprockethead
True... I was actually thinking of maybe using 0000 steel wool. What do you think?
I would not get steel wool near my car

Old 05-22-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you try a Magic Eraser and some CLR?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I know Clay Bar does a great job removing melted rubber and tree sap from all kinds of surfaces. Perhaps if you're all out of ideas, this may be come in handy. And while you're at it, clay bar the entire paint finish. The amout of junk embedded in the paint is unbelievable once you start. AutoZone carries it.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
I use wheel cleaner--that acid takes tough hardwater stains off with some gentle massaging.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
treat your car like if it was a baby be gentle,dont use steel wool.water stains r one of the toughest stains 2 fight.i fought my shower door water stains for a year and never came off.
i tried wd40 water stain remover from work and different kind of glass cleaners and never came off. if you find a solution let me know and post before and after pics

Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks to all for their answers.

Well, I just soaked it in vinegar and it didn't help.

I won't use steel wool.

I contacted some detailers. They say if it's real chrome, they can get it off. Anybody know if the G35 trim is "real" chrome?

I might start a new thread with that question. Don't know.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:35 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its plastic

Old 05-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try using Mother's metal polish with a cotton terry cloth. The abrasiveness from a regular cotton terry cloth/towel will work a bit better than any other type along with the polish. Unfortunately, this will just reduce and hide most the stains, not completely remove them as they have most likely been etched into the soft plastic chrome pieces. There isn't really much that can be done for etched hardwater stains, those don't even come off of glass from my experience.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks. At lunch I'm going to pick up some Mother's polish and one of those Mother's ***** that you put on the end of a cordless drill.

I'm also buying mineral oil to try that. And I'm buying DuraGloss because I've heard that could work.

If I can just get the chrome a little better I'll be happy. There is a detailer in town that says he can get it off the glass.

Originally Posted by InfinitJazz
Try using Mother's metal polish with a cotton terry cloth. The abrasiveness from a regular cotton terry cloth/towel will work a bit better than any other type along with the polish. Unfortunately, this will just reduce and hide most the stains, not completely remove them as they have most likely been etched into the soft plastic chrome pieces. There isn't really much that can be done for etched hardwater stains, those don't even come off of glass from my experience.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
The chrome strip on my rear lid had some serious spotting from this past winter's abuse.
I clayed my chrome while claying the car this spring and it took all spotting off without the need for polishing.
It depends on the level of spotting you have.

Polish will work but use care.. the chrome scratches easily.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i used glass scrub on hard water spots and on the trim and my grill and it works wonders my mom park her car by a sprinker and i use the glass scrub and it took back off and it looks brand new again

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hi. First post. I am in water spot / hard water stain h*ll. Please advise.