G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Honest question:If lowering springs supposedly hurt shocks, why so many with springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honest question:If lowering springs supposedly hurt shocks, why so many with springs?

First off, this is not meant to be a troll thread or to imply that lowering springs are bad. Rather, it's a the question: are lowering really bad? I read that they can wear your shocks out more quickly. But I find that hard to believe because so many people on this forum that know more than I do about cars use lowering springs alone instead of coilovers.

I want to believe that lowering springs won't mess up shocks because I can't currently justify the cost of coilovers. I want to buy some Eibach springs.

Btw, I've probably read like every thread on this forum about lowering the G35. I've read articles, etc. But all of the forum posts are split 50/50. Half of the people are like 'coilovers ftw!' and the other half are like 'springs are alright!' but there is no real info to back it up.

Idk, can somebody just tell me whether lowering springs like the Eibach Pro Kit will mess up the shocks or not?

Thanks.

Later.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:12 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Simple answer: people buy springs over coilovers because of cost (and in some cases folks honestly think a 1-1.5" will be enough for them). Most realize after their springs don't "settle" like they want them to that they should have purchased coilovers in the first place (I was one of these people...haha). It usually takes a while for springs to wear out your OEM shocks so most don't worry about it too much.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. So your springs never dropped your car? I'm one those people that like the idea of the cost and the 1.5" drop lol. Oh and could you define what is 'a while.'

Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Simple answer: people buy springs over coilovers because of cost (and in some cases folks honestly think a 1-1.5" will be enough for them). Most realize after their springs don't "settle" like they want them to that they should have purchased coilovers in the first place (I was one of these people...haha). It usually takes a while for springs to wear out your OEM shocks so most don't worry about it too much.

Last edited by Sprockethead; 06-13-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
u read my mind with this question! subsribed...

Old 06-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprockethead
I want to believe that lowering springs won't mess up shocks because I can't currently justify the cost of coilovers. I want to buy some Eibach springs.
You've answered your own question.

I've run springs, springs/shocks, full coilovers on my various cars. The coilovers completely blew away the other set ups. They provided the best handling with the best ride quality (not softest riding, but best ride quality) and with decent longevity. Remember that coilovers will also wear out their shocks and may need rebuilding too.

To answer your question, your stock shocks typically won't blow out, but they will wear out noticeably faster than on stock springs. For many people this effect is gradual enough that they won't notice, or they sell their cars before it becomes really bad. However, if you are running 30K miles + on Eibach springs, the handling and ride quality definitely won't be as good as when your car was relatively new.

But, since most people don't really track their cars or drive aggressively, it's not that big of a deal. Springs are great for looks and cost savings.

If you really want to make your car handle and look good, get a set of good coilovers. Do it once and do it right. If you can't afford to do it right, save more money.

The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
GeeWillikers (06-14-2011), GXXXV X (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
like they said its a cheap alternative to CO for looks and handling

Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You've answered your own question.

I've run springs, springs/shocks, full coilovers on my various cars. The coilovers completely blew away the other set ups. They provided the best handling with the best ride quality (not softest riding, but best ride quality) and with decent longevity. Remember that coilovers will also wear out their shocks and may need rebuilding too.

To answer your question, your stock shocks typically won't blow out, but they will wear out noticeably faster than on stock springs. For many people this effect is gradual enough that they won't notice, or they sell their cars before it becomes really bad. However, if you are running 30K miles + on Eibach springs, the handling and ride quality definitely won't be as good as when your car was relatively new.

But, since most people don't really track their cars or drive aggressively, it's not that big of a deal. Springs are great for looks and cost savings.

If you really want to make your car handle and look good, get a set of good coilovers. Do it once and do it right. If you can't afford to do it right, save more money.
+1, I was on 350z H-techs and stock struts for over 40k miles before I started to notice a deterioration in ride quality. And I'm a heavy SOB

Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
I like to think of it this way. Springs are only temporally solution until you get the money for coilovers. I am now looking into a set of coilovers to be getting rid of my springs.

The following users liked this post:
GXXXV X (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
I've ridden in many coilover and spring setups. A lot of the times springs just don't feel right; either too bouncy, or rides like plain ***. The moment i rode in a coilover setup i was sold. I don't understand why people just can't wait and save up for coilovers. Our struts can take a beating before it ride comfort deteriorates.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:59 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
we are all impatient. if we can't have it now, it's always option B that will work for a short time.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
I read that they can wear your shocks out more quickly.

It's relative. Someone who drives on pristine roads will very likely have dampers that will last longer than those on a vehicle driven on subpar roads.

But all things being equal, lowering springs will add additional stress on OEM dampers. The key to suspensions is that dampers and springs should be made for each other. This is the beauty of coilovers and/or matched spring/damper kits.

The way i justified the "additional" cost of going with Coilovers was that i was getting new springs and dampers, both adjustable, for not much more than a set of Eibach's and new non adjustable dampers like KYB GR-2's or Tokico Blues.

I could've theoretically run with Eibach's but knew that doing so would mean i'd have to get camber kits, replace the dampers eventually, spend time swapping things out and getting another alignment. In the long run, affordable Coilovers with a drop as moderate as mine come out cheaper in my case.

My mother always told me, if you really want something, save up for it and get it done right the first time.*

YMMV, of course.

* Disclaimer: I am not saying that going with just springs is wrong, in my case, CO's were the right thing to do.

The following users liked this post:
GeeWillikers (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 08:07 AM
See cause I know somebody selling lightly used Eibach Pro Kit for like $100, so I'm VERY tempted.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I could've theoretically run with Eibach's but knew that doing so would mean i'd have to get camber kits, replace the dampers eventually, spend time swapping things out and getting another alignment. In the long run, affordable Coilovers with a drop as moderate as mine come out cheaper in my case.
if i were to go with COs, i would not need a camber kit? I thought it was anything more than 1" drop?

See cause I know somebody selling lightly used Eibach Pro Kit for like $100, so I'm VERY tempted.
not gunna lie, for only $100 i would definitely get those and put em on myself with the DIY thread on here, then swap them out with COs later on and resale the eibachs

Old 06-14-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by wsolo08
if i were to go with COs, i would not need a camber kit? I thought it was anything more than 1" drop?
I'm dropped a little more than that, camber is slightly off from OEM spec, but toe is well within spec. I have no unusual tire wear, with proper rotations. So, in my case, the answer is that a camber kit is not necessary.

A little camber is not a bad thing, out of whack toe is.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think it depends on how long you are planning to keep the car. Springs are much lower in cost and if you only plan to keep the car a couple years and swap your stock springs back in, coilovers would probably be overkill as you would get nothing back when you take them back out to sell the vehicle. It definitely doesn't add value to the car if you keep them on there when you do sell it. I rarely keep my car for more than 2-3 years and the ride quality of my car on the eibachs feels exactly the same as it was when stock. Granted the sport suspension is already stiffer than the Journey models. It all depends on what you plan to do with the car. For my case, springs gave me the drop and ride comfort I was looking for. I was still able to bring the toe back within the factory specified range albeit with a bit more negative camber than stock. But she handles well, rides well, I've no complaints and don't feel any need to do the coilover setup.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Honest question:If lowering springs supposedly hurt shocks, why so many with springs?