G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Car Vibrating While Idle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Vibrating While Idle

I have a MY08 Sedan and every so often my car will start to shake/vibrate while in idle, mostly when the car is in park. I've cleaned the TB and taken it to the dealer who says "everything is fine" and of course the car didn't vibrate while they had it. I was wondering if I should clean the MAF sensor. I searched these forums and couldnt find much about it. Does anyone know how to clean the MAF sensor and where it is located? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
Motor mounts..check them

Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
MAFs are super easy to clean, get crc maf sensor cleaner and liberally spray the sensors inside out as stated on the directions of the bottle, i do this when i clean my TB without any issues but still just as a common disclaimer... do this at your own risk!

Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I agree with Anton, check your motor mount. I had the same problem with my honda at idle only. I also noticed that it would happen after the engine idles for a while (over 5 minutes idling) Good luck with this.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:45 AM
My dealer told me that a motor mount is either bad or good and that it would happen all the time if it was bad, is that true?
Where is the MAF sensor?
Thanks for the responses

Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Received 820 Likes on 595 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevins
My dealer told me that a motor mount is either bad or good and that it would happen all the time if it was bad, is that true?
Where is the MAF sensor?
Thanks for the responses
the maf sensor is right above the air box. it has the wire sticking out of it.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I never dealt with a bad motor mount yet but I doubt there would be any vibration when the engine is under load. Just pop the hood and observe how much the engine moves when you step on the gas.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My car also vibrates a little when I'm at a standstill (like at a light) but its when the engine hits a certain RPM range, typically around 600<x<800 Rpm

EDIT: It occurs at 850RPM, I looked at the gauge this time

Last edited by CFitz; 03-04-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Hmm . . . I'm not feelin this whole motor mount theory. It seems like it would not be intermittent if it were a bad mount. We need a bit more information from the OP though, like are are the rpms fluctuating when it does the vibration. I'm thinking this is just a "shiver" caused by the engine rpms dropping and then catching again, which could happen regardless of motor mount conditions. Besides that, I can't recall hearing folks reporting bad motor mounts on these, so it seems somewhat against the odds. If the idle fluctuates, then I'd just be looking for what may be causing that.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Where is the MAF sensor?
Thanks for the responses
That is not exactly true. Bad motor mount would not always be felt under load.

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Hmm . . . I'm not feelin this whole motor mount theory. It seems like it would not be intermittent if it were a bad mount. We need a bit more information from the OP though, like are are the rpms fluctuating when it does the vibration. I'm thinking this is just a "shiver" caused by the engine rpms dropping and then catching again, which could happen regardless of motor mount conditions. Besides that, I can't recall hearing folks reporting bad motor mounts on these, so it seems somewhat against the odds. If the idle fluctuates, then I'd just be looking for what may be causing that.

I agree that is rare to hear bad motor mounts on our G, it does not mean that it could not be the problem. Like I responded to OP a bad motor mount does not vibrate as violently or when under load. I had a similar problem on a different car the car would not vibrate while driving, but as soon as I stop at a light it would vibrate, as soon as I start driving again it would go away.

I do agree with you that OP needs to give us more info to assist in troubleshooting, but I would not disregard the motor mount just becuase it is intermittent. If his RPM are fluctuating then I would have to say that the motor mount is not the problem.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 PM
The RPMs do not seem to fluctuate, the car just vibrates when in Park, but it hasn't happened in a few weeks now. I'm just concerned because my warranty will be up very soon.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:16 PM
The RPMs do not seem to fluctuate, the car just vibrates when in Park, but it hasn't happened in a few weeks now. I'm just concerned because my warranty will be up very soon.
Does not sound like your motor mount or MAF sensor.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a similar problem but only when in drive. It started out just a slight vibration and it is starting to get worse. It is mainly noticed when waiting at stop lights. Pretty heavy shaking and the rpm's are around 850. Will check out tomorrow and see if there is excessive motor movement when revved.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lsmooth81
I agree with Anton, check your motor mount. I had the same problem with my honda at idle only. I also noticed that it would happen after the engine idles for a while (over 5 minutes idling) Good luck with this.
Honda cars are notorious POSes when it comes to bad motormounts...

Usually vibrations only at idle are a sign of a mount going bad.. but for a Nissan and so soon seems unlikely

Old 03-05-2012, 02:36 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the same issue with my 08'. However, my idle was low (around 600). After cleaning the TBs and the MAF's the issue never went away.

I took it to the dealer and thier solution as they told me was to reset the idle portion on the ECU which actually worked. It still has a very subtle vibration every so often at a stoplight but thier solution stopped the annoying (message chair) vibration I was getting originally.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Vibrating While Idle