G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Air Intake Track Cleaning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Air Intake Track Cleaning

Hey All.

I am about to embark on a 70,000 mile tune up.

This includes: motor and transmission fluid drain and fill, new serpentine belt, new tires, new air filters, new spark plugs, MAF, TB, and air intake track cleaning.

I have read up on how to do this and it all seems pretty straight forward.

My main concern is it seems like there is a 50% failure rate for users that have attempted to clean their throttle bodies. From error codes to erratic idles, the last thing I want to do is make my car worse.

That being said, I am fluent with the ECU relearn and idle-air relearn pedal procedure.

My questions are, if I know how to perform these resets, is there anything to worry about? Is there a dealer recommended way of cleaning the throttle bodies?

I would like to get it clean but I don't need it to specifically shine like new. I am OK with completely removing the throttle bodies and also have no problem with leaving them connected and cleaning them that way.

Does anyone know the best route for this? Any recommendations for cleaning the MAF sensors, is that even worth it or should I just stick to the TB cleaning?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

_Michael

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Michael fortunately this isn't rocket science. Since you're comfortable taking the TB's off, unhook your battery, remove the 2 power clips from the TB's and clean them with carb cleaner and Q tips BUT be careful to not touch or move the butterfly plates at all. Then re-install, hook the battery up and you're done. On the MAF's buy a can of MAF cleaner (I like CRC) at your local auto parts store, remove the MAF's and liberally spray the cleaner on the sensor wire, but don't touch the wire with anything. The cleaner will dry very quickly, re-install the MAF's and you're good to go.

HTH.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, I had previously performed the TB cleaning, but I never disconnected the TB. But, I was able to move the butterflies as much as I had to clean them. I didn't have any issues. I'm about to do this again in December. My question after reading this is, if I disconnect the TB, does this prohibit me from moving the butterflies? Or should I have not been moving them all along?

Old 09-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by namanc6
So, I had previously performed the TB cleaning, but I never disconnected the TB. But, I was able to move the butterflies as much as I had to clean them. I didn't have any issues. I'm about to do this again in December. My question after reading this is, if I disconnect the TB, does this prohibit me from moving the butterflies? Or should I have not been moving them all along?
That! is the $60,000.00 question!! I have not done this yet on my 07, haven't even looked at em yet...

Old 09-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
do at your own risk but i did mine with moving the butterfly valve

Old 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah that is pretty much what I am wondering too. Some people say if you move the butterfly valve you HAVE to perform the idle-air reset procedure which I am super comfortable with.

Other people say, move the butterfly valve and yur gonna have to buy youself some new throttle bodies.

Anyone have success either way?

Old 09-09-2013, 11:57 AM
I have done this cleaning 3 times the same way. All times I move the butterflies as much as I need to. I just never disconnect the TB. So far every time works great. No issues. But, as always, perform at your own risk.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:59 PM
I have done this cleaning 3 times the same way. All times I move the butterflies as much as I need to. I just never disconnect the TB. So far every time works great. No issues. But, as always, perform at your own risk.
Can you elaborate on the "never disconnect the TB" portion of this?

Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I never disconnect any of the wires from the throttle body. I do remove it from the intake, though. I'm just careful enough to not disconnect any wires, as was recommended on the original thread I read on here about cleaning the throttle bodies.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeJones916
Hey All.

I am about to embark on a 70,000 mile tune up.

This includes: motor and transmission fluid drain and fill, new serpentine belt, new tires, new air filters, new spark plugs, MAF, TB, and air intake track cleaning.

I have read up on how to do this and it all seems pretty straight forward.

My main concern is it seems like there is a 50% failure rate for users that have attempted to clean their throttle bodies. From error codes to erratic idles, the last thing I want to do is make my car worse.

That being said, I am fluent with the ECU relearn and idle-air relearn pedal procedure.

My questions are, if I know how to perform these resets, is there anything to worry about? Is there a dealer recommended way of cleaning the throttle bodies?

I would like to get it clean but I don't need it to specifically shine like new. I am OK with completely removing the throttle bodies and also have no problem with leaving them connected and cleaning them that way.

Does anyone know the best route for this? Any recommendations for cleaning the MAF sensors, is that even worth it or should I just stick to the TB cleaning?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

_Michael
Michael, unless you're having issues, I'd suggest flushing your coolant and brake fluids before bothering with plugs and all the intake cleaning.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah, I never disconnect any of the wires from the throttle body. I do remove it from the intake, though. I'm just careful enough to not disconnect any wires, as was recommended on the original thread I read on here about cleaning the throttle bodies.
So by doing it your way you're free to move the butterfly valve as much as you need to?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did mine, 98k on the clock they were FILTHY!

All I did was disconnect the battery, pull the TBs and leave the clips connected.
I moved the butterfly valves on both and cleaned away. Put all back together and all
was well.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Yeah same here. I just followed the DIY throttle body cleaning that's posted under tech, DIY. Ok no expert, I just followed those directions and I haven't had any issues.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Best way to clean your MAF is with sand. Most people take off their filter and put very fine sand in the intake tube, then have someone rev the engine over and over. The fine sand acts as a sandblaster and cleans your intake, MAF, and even ports & polishes your heads. You can pick up Intake Sand at autozone or most auto stores.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Best way to clean your MAF is with sand. Most people take off their filter and put very fine sand in the intake tube, then have someone rev the engine over and over. The fine sand acts as a sandblaster and cleans your intake, MAF, and even ports & polishes your heads. You can pick up Intake Sand at autozone or most auto stores.
You can't assume everyone who reads this will understand your attempt at humor. If you're going to make a post like this you should at least use some smilies or something to denote the sarcasm.

The following users liked this post:
bigc (09-11-2013)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Intake Track Cleaning