G35 Sedan V36 2007- 08 Discussion about the 2nd Generation G35 Sedan 2007 - 08

Rust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust

Hi im an old member was inactive but im back & plan on being more active with my new 07 Blue Slate G35X.
Im posting here because im concerned about a rust problem. Underneath the car i took quick look and saw some rust. On a scale of 1-10 (10 being the worst) it was a 5 maybe. But then again its not that old so why is it rusting so quickly? I live in Toronto Canada & was just wondering is it normal to have rust underneath? and if so will it cause any damage to my car? Thanks!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 AM

My first G35 on the right my second on the Left😊

Old 08-30-2015, 01:13 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by 5ATSEDAN

why is it rusting so quickly?

I live in Toronto Canada & was just wondering is it normal to have rust underneath?
will it cause any damage to my car?
Because Nissan.

Yes.

Yes.

Old 08-30-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by vqsmile
Because Nissan.

Yes.

Yes.
I plan on taking it to my Mechanic... Im gonna attach a few pics do you think it will be costly to replace the rusted parts that you see in the pics? I plan on having this car for awhile so i want it to be rust free.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:03 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
It is unlikely that it would be cost effective to replace everything that is rusted under your car. Besides, not all rusted parts would even need to be replaced. Though it may look unsightly, larger and thicker solid metal parts are typically not overly impacted by some surface rust. Rust will generally cause the most damage to the thinnest sheet metal first, so exhaust, heat shields, small nuts/bolts, small hangers and mounting brackets, and even poorly treated sections of the unibody itself are likely to be the first to be adversely affected.

In general though, every nut, bolt, connection and interface between two closely fitting metal surfaces is affected by rust, and working on such a car adds some degree of hassle depending on how severe it is. To perform routine work on your brakes/wheel bearings/suspension/etc. can become an ordeal just to remove (and often replace) frozen fasteners and seized parts due to the rust. If you intended to replace everything that was impacted by rust on your car, where would you start and where would you stop?

I think if you live or drive in an area where salt is used, you pretty much get resigned to either parking the car during winter months, or just accepting that rust damage will occur and dealing with it in kind. Using a aftermarket undercoat treatment may help with preventing major structural damage to the body, but the exhaust. suspension, and running gear is always going to be exposed.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
It is unlikely that it would be cost effective to replace everything that is rusted under your car. Besides, not all rusted parts would even need to be replaced. Though it may look unsightly, larger and thicker solid metal parts are typically not overly impacted by some surface rust. Rust will generally cause the most damage to the thinnest sheet metal first, so exhaust, heat shields, small nuts/bolts, small hangers and mounting brackets, and even poorly treated sections of the unibody itself are likely to be the first to be adversely affected.

In general though, every nut, bolt, connection and interface between two closely fitting metal surfaces is affected by rust, and working on such a car adds some degree of hassle depending on how severe it is. To perform routine work on your brakes/wheel bearings/suspension/etc. can become an ordeal just to remove (and often replace) frozen fasteners and seized parts due to the rust. If you intended to replace everything that was impacted by rust on your car, where would you start and where would you stop?

I think if you live or drive in an area where salt is used, you pretty much get resigned to either parking the car during winter months, or just accepting that rust damage will occur and dealing with it in kind. Using a aftermarket undercoat treatment may help with preventing major structural damage to the body, but the exhaust. suspension, and running gear is always going to be exposed.

I will just take it to get the major rusted parts repaired because ive seen older cars in better condition underneath. i want this car to last long. & im gonna take it for rust proofing after that. thanks a lot for the help though!

Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Down here on the coast, there used to be a high pressure fresh water rinse that cost $0.50 right as you exit the road from the beach. Look around, you may find one somewhere, if not start doing it yourself.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Being a fellow Ontario V36 owner I am always keeping my eye on rust. I just replaced all my heat shield clamps on the exhaust this summer as a few of them where about to pop. Ya you have some parts there that are showing signs of bad corrosion. No need to replace everything tho. Rust on the underside of a DD is just life. Keep it clean when the salt gets on it. Be sure to find a wash that has underside cleaning.