G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Why are the mods now moving everything.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ttrank
+1

That is all I am trying to say here.

Are we helping a few but hurting a lot?
I consider this discussion to be, for now, a fruitful enterprise. I hope it continues.

Some people act like the mods(and myself in particular) have been heavy handed in moving the threads, and/or locking/deleting them. You yourself stated in the first post of this thread:
We have asked mods like trey hutcheson but he does not reply to our questions and just locks the threads.
I locked them because discussion within those threads would have been redundant. That's why I suggested you start this thread in the first place. So I don't think your statement is very accurate.

Like I've stated previously, this topic has been discussed, rather heavily, many many times recently. If people ventured out of the sedan(or coupe) sections more frequently, they might have noticed one of the [many] previous topics and contributed.

Like my first response to Floyd in that other thread, this topic has been beaten to death. So much so, that most of the other mods have grown weary of the topic. Most of them have adopted the approach that recurring topics are either closed or locked immediately, without notice. It was decided a while ago that that reaction would be the "official" reaction. That's but one of the reasons Floyd's first two threads were locked(by me).

My point is that pointless complaints serves no purpose. A concise, directed dialog, like this thread, however has the potential for some eventual good. And for that, I thank the the thread contributer that have so far refrained from blatant bitching.

Now, I'm not patting myself on the back, or asking for gratitude, but at least I am participating. Most of the other mods have just given up. If it weren't me participating in this discussion, this thread, like its predecessors, would likely end up being locked and/or deleted.

And no one should take this post as a comparison of myself to other mods. I share this exasperation with the repeated explanations on why threads have been moved. I just hope that if I make the case one more time, it might accomplish something.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
See this is where I disagree. There are really very few things that I can think of that are differences between the coupe and the sedan aside from body panels. What such items are you referring to? Just curious since they don't come to mind.
Just a few off the top of my head:

- wheels and tires (completely different offsets and tire sizes),
- exhaust,
- many suspension items (coupes don't typically buy Z or Coupe springs to lower as many in the sedan section do and lowering components may have different results on sedans),
- interior (anything having to do with door panels, back seat, etc.)
- body kits, spoilers, grills, etc. (as you stated).

I am not disagreeing that there are a lot of similarities (anything powertrain for example) but there are just as many differences. It is beneficial (in my opinion) to have discussions among solely sedan owners.

Anyway, I will continue to visit this site regardless of the whether or not things revert back to the way they were. I am just sharing my opinion.

In response to Trey, no my opinion does not make me ignorant, lazy, or xenophobic. You have mistaken these attributes for disinterest. Most of the time I don't care about a coupe owners wheel offset or lowering questions because I cannot help with or learn anything from these posts (much the same way I would expect them to react to many of my threads). I do, however, care about others' issues with sedans because I own one. As a result, I try to help as much as I can and learn along the way.

If it weren't for many of the "leeches" and "burdens" on this site, I for one would not find it near as enjoyable.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Let's face it. The threads will continue to be moved. I'm not making policy; I'm enforcing it. In the mean time, if we can get some constructive discussion regarding FAQs and possibly general post enforcement, let's hear it.

Who do we need to ask to bring the old non-moving policy back? The forum ran just fine before. This in only in the last few months. Did all the mods get together and decide this was a good thing to start doing? If so I propose we take a forum wide poll and see what everone thinks.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Grocery getter

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I consider this discussion to be, for now, a fruitful enterprise. I hope it continues.

Some people act like the mods(and myself in particular) have been heavy handed in moving the threads, and/or locking/deleting them. You yourself stated in the first post of this thread:

I locked them because discussion within those threads would have been redundant. That's why I suggested you start this thread in the first place. So I don't think your statement is very accurate.

Like I've stated previously, this topic has been discussed, rather heavily, many many times recently. If people ventured out of the sedan(or coupe) sections more frequently, they might have noticed one of the [many] previous topics and contributed.

Like my first response to Floyd in that other thread, this topic has been beaten to death. So much so, that most of the other mods have grown weary of the topic. Most of them have adopted the approach that recurring topics are either closed or locked immediately, without notice. It was decided a while ago that that reaction would be the "official" reaction. That's but one of the reasons Floyd's first two threads were locked(by me).

My point is that pointless complaints serves no purpose. A concise, directed dialog, like this thread, however has the potential for some eventual good. And for that, I thank the the thread contributer that have so far refrained from blatant bitching.

Now, I'm not patting myself on the back, or asking for gratitude, but at least I am participating. Most of the other mods have just given up. If it weren't me participating in this discussion, this thread, like its predecessors, would likely end up being locked and/or deleted.

And no one should take this post as a comparison of myself to other mods. I share this exasperation with the repeated explanations on why threads have been moved. I just hope that if I make the case one more time, it might accomplish something.

Yes those other threads are redundant because people are not happy with the change. Maybe we could go back and people would stop bringing it up. I didn't see all the issues and threads about it before?

Old 04-17-2007, 05:07 PM
Who do we need to ask to bring the old non-moving policy back? The forum ran just fine before. This in only in the last few months. Did all the mods get together and decide this was a good thing to start doing? If so I propose we take a forum wide poll and see what everone thinks.
i think it's only because trey has taken a more active position on moderating the sedan forum. not that it's a bad thing, but i felt that prior to this, there was very little moderation if any, happening. again this is just my observation.

edit:actually i take that back, i notice the coupe forum is undergoing the same restructuring.

Last edited by tkman00; 04-17-2007 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Go read all the other threads of people and take a count then come back and see if you can make that same statement. Remember this is mostly for the sedan section. I am comfortable saying that way more members of that section would vote for the old way.
The thing is that they are trying to make it the same across the board. The real problems start when there are different standards for different parts of forum.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:15 PM
The thing is that they are trying to make it the same across the board. The real problems start when there are different standards for different parts of forum.
same across the board is fine, but generalization isn't always a good thing as demonstrated by other forums. other larger forums generalize the g35 into a single category (coupe/sedan/07). there is obviously considerably less information over there than there is over here. i think that is in part to member preference. so what we ended up seeing (imo) was more users here and there because information was broken out.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Grocery getter

Then why not get rid of the sedan and coupe sections?

If we move all the threads out of them to other sections where they can also go there is just about no use for them. I can think of a place for every thread on here without putting a single one in those two places.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rarely stray to the coupe, tech, and most other sections...
Its funny how many coupe guys dont know offsets are different from a sedan. So why would I ask them a question???....

I also hate when I post somewhere and I cant find it, especially when I have to track all my post just to find out the thread was moved....
Sure its alittle incovinence but whats the whole point of moving so many threads? i could understand if I posted in the coupe section but I want every Sedan owners opinion. Not just the ones that clicked on the wheels and tire sub forum......
If thats the case why keep the stickys on top there???....Move them to there proper sub forums...

Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Then why not get rid of the sedan and coupe sections?

If we move all the threads out of them to other sections where they can also go there is just about no use for them. I can think of a place for every thread on here without putting a single one in those two places.
I can see your point and I will say that I have not always agreed with some of the "moves" but it isn't my call to make and it isn't random so I don't have an issue. I know there is logic and reason behind it being done that way and while I may not agree with all of the aspects of something I know it isn't just some random decision. If I held issue with it, then I wouldn't participate - but that is just my personality I guess.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:32 PM
So what is the whole logic behind it????? If there is a reason behind it plz LMK, if I missed it I apologize. But if it meant something like the site would crash, i would shut up and deal with it....

Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Reference the numerous other threads on this topic that have beaten the information to death.

Old 04-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Reference the numerous other threads on this topic that have beaten the information to death.

Well delete those threads and inform the thread starter why.......

Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jameyb
Just a few off the top of my head:

- wheels and tires (completely different offsets and tire sizes),
Agreed.

- exhaust,
Everything from the exhaust manifolds to the ypipe are the same. When somebody asks about headers, test pipes, cats, or even ypipes, the questions and answers apply equally to coupes and sedans. Hell, the stock midpipes are interchangeable.

- many suspension items (coupes don't typically buy Z or Coupe springs to lower as many in the sedan section do and lowering components may have different results on sedans),
Obviously coupe owners aren't interested in OE coupe springs for lowering. But some are interested in z springs. And most of us interested in suspension mods share interest in common items like shocks, coils, strut bars, sways, and braces.

- interior (anything having to do with door panels, back seat, etc.)
- body kits, spoilers, grills, etc. (as you stated).
Agreed, with qualification. Most of us suffer from squeaks and rattles.

I am not disagreeing that there are a lot of similarities (anything powertrain for example) but there are just as many differences. It is beneficial (in my opinion) to have discussions among solely sedan owners.

Anyway, I will continue to visit this site regardless of the whether or not things revert back to the way they were. I am just sharing my opinion.
I don't have a problem with sedan owners consulting sedan owners. I have a problem when a sedan owner asks about a sticking clutch, or a piggyback ecu, or if the popcharger is better than the stillen intake. Or how about burning up a clutch? I've responded to countless clutch threads. These are issues that plague the G, not just a coupe or sedan.

Another example: fuel economy and fuel grade. Those two topics are resurrected weekly. Why are these topics unique to either model?

In response to Trey, no my opinion does not make me ignorant, lazy, or xenophobic. You have mistaken these attributes for disinterest. Most of the time I don't care about a coupe owners wheel offset or lowering questions because I cannot help with or learn anything from these posts (much the same way I would expect them to react to many of my threads). I do, however, care about others' issues with sedans because I own one. As a result, I try to help as much as I can and learn along the way.

If it weren't for many of the "leeches" and "burdens" on this site, I for one would not find it near as enjoyable.
I'm sorry that I've mistaken those attributes. But, I do think it's clear that we have differing objectives for forum participation.

I'm here to learn about the car, and to share that knowledge with others. I'm pretty sure we have that in common. But I'm focused on the technical information. As a result, I spent the vast majority of my time in the technical area. There's loads of information there, and even if it's not specific to the car I own, it's usually applicable if in a more abstract way. When I read up in the suspension section, mods of the threads don't pertain to me. But by merely reading them, I'm better educated on suspension theory in general, and can make better decisions in respect to my car.

People constantly ask why is there a need for a coupe or sedan section if we're going to be moving threads all the time. That's a valid question. Let me answer by a demonstration of what I think are valid topics currently present in the 03-06 Sedan section:

03-04 or 05-06
In need of some serious help!
How many sedan owner here are under 35?
New Sedan Toys from GT Spec

Admittedly, that's a small selection; only 4 of the 25 topics on the first page. That's why I'm surgical in my thread relocations. I typically only move threads that are intake/exhaust, suspension, wheels/tires, engine/drivetrain(like clutch related questions), and generic g-spot threads. As you can see, I concentrate moving the posts with technical content. I leave the overwhelming majority of threads in the sedan section alone.

Old 04-17-2007, 06:24 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd just like to chime in and thank Trey for taking time out to answer pretty much every question in great detail. It's in no way required for him to do that.

Perhaps a sedan section sticky that has sedan specific items like I mentioned before might be more of a valid request now:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/87276-section-all-sections-really-needs-better-sticky-info.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the mods now moving everything.