G35Driver Feedback & Suggestions NO Car Questions! For posting Feedback, Suggestions or Questions regarding G35Driver website ONLY.

Why are the mods now moving everything.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
RXM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Page 3 already has threads moved, and your solution to why threads should be kept in the sedan forum are going about it in the wrong way. If not enough people are visitng the tech sections to answer questions, the solution isn't to reward their laziness by allowing the posting in the sedan section, it should be to encourage those members to post in the tech sections instead. Based on your logic, why have a sedan section at all? Why not just have 1 big forum with all the posts together, that way you'll get lots of views because then coupe and sedan owners would have to look at your thread, but hey, you get more exposure like you wanted correct? Alot of coupe owners would also be able to answer sedan questions as well because they share alot of parts.
You are way off base and are making ridiculous assumptions. Please don't comment on something that you totally misconstrued.

What incentive does someone have to go to a subforum that they have no reason to visit? Am I going to check the audio forum daily to see if someone has a question I can answer? Am I going to visit the wheel section every day to see if I can answer someone's question about a spacer and a specific rim that I might have? To think someone is going to do that is just ridiculous.

Ttrank said it best when he said the sedan section is few and far between. And the differences between the coupe and sedan have been mentioned. Obviously having all coupe and sedan threads in one section is not a good idea. And you don't need to be a smart@ss about it either. The point of having more views IN THE SEDAN FORUM is to attract attention from SEDAN people who have a SEDAN that have done things to their SEDAN that I am contemplating on doing. The group gets even smaller when you talk to people who actually bought a G35x!
Like I've said, I came here to speak for people about why they feel the way they do and I proposed a solution. Apparently, neither is appreciated so there isn't much to say.

Last edited by O NO; 04-18-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: No Personal Attacks on the fourms
Old 04-18-2007, 11:01 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RXM
Well, apparently you all are going to do as you please anyway so there is no point of me posting anything else or anyone else posting anything in regards to this. You might as well close down this thread and every thread that questions how the site functions. I came here to express how I feel, why people are doing what they are doing, and I proposed a solution. I didn't just come here to rant and not contribute to anything. I came here to actually help the situation and make my suggestions known. Apparently everything that the members say or suggests fall on deaf ears and are quickly forgotten.
No need to get defensive as I am being nothing but calm, civil, and understanding here. You are giving your opinions and I am giving mine. This is a healthy and civil discussion, just because we don't agree on things doesn't mean this thread needs to be closed.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:04 AM
RXM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
No need to get defensive as I am being nothing but calm, civil, and understanding here. You are giving your opinions and I am giving mine. This is a healthy and civil discussion, just because we don't agree on things doesn't mean this thread needs to be closed.
This seems to be a pretty much one way discussion to me. I've said what I wanted to say b/c I enjoy being a member here and want to see this site grows. I've shared my opinions. If it isn't for the best...then so be it. I tried. Thanks for listening.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we all appreciate the feedback given.

However, in my eyes this site will only get bigger and if there's no organization now its just going to be a nightmare later on. As you can imagine changing the site's old habits are hard to do (People still post freely and are continued to move).

I do think the 'New Posts' feature should be utilized a lot more just so you can see posts throughout the entire site which pertain to you or you can answer to.

I too do feel like I'm beating on a deadhorse. There's a ton of information and great knowledge on this site which I'm sure we've all learned from at some point. Not its just a matter of having it more organized so we can all share the wealth.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RXM
Well, apparently you all are going to do as you please anyway so there is no point of me posting anything else or anyone else posting anything in regards to this. You might as well close down this thread and every thread that questions how the site functions. I came here to express how I feel, why people are doing what they are doing, and I proposed a solution. I didn't just come here to rant and not contribute to anything. I came here to actually help the situation and make my suggestions known. Apparently everything that the members say or suggests fall on deaf ears and are quickly forgotten.
We thank you for your suggestion. But please don't get the impression that your comments are falling on dear ears merely because we disagree.

This is very constructive dialog.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
RXM
How bout you guys chime in on Jimmy's valid question. I certainly would like to know as well. Possibly have the answer to this question posted as a sticky for FYI.

Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Can I pose a new question to change the topic? Can you please let us know what IS acceptable to post in the general forum then? It seems to me that almost every post/topic that someone posts up, would be directly related to a subsection on this forum, thereby making the general sedan forum obselete, no? Just curious what can be and will be tolerated in the general section.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by RXM
You are way off base and are making ridiculous assumptions. Please don't comment on something that you totally misconstrued.

What incentive does someone have to go to a subforum that they have no reason to visit? Am I going to check the audio forum daily to see if someone has a question I can answer? Am I going to visit the wheel section every day to see if I can answer someone's question about a spacer and a specific rim that I might have? To think someone is going to do that is just ridiculous.

Ttrank said it best when he said the sedan section is few and far between. And the differences between the coupe and sedan have been mentioned. Obviously having all coupe and sedan threads in one section is not a good idea. And you don't need to be a smart@ss about it either. The point of having more views IN THE SEDAN FORUM is to attract attention from SEDAN people who have a SEDAN that have done things to their SEDAN that I am contemplating on doing. The group gets even smaller when you talk to people who actually bought a G35x!
Like I've said, I came here to speak for people about why they feel the way they do and I proposed a solution. Apparently, neither is appreciated so there isn't much to say.
I think at issue here is the mechanics of use. I don't understand why people cherry pick specific forums to check for new posts. Being so selective in the long run does nothing more than prevent the person from being exposed to relevant posts in other areas.

I recommend using the New Posts feature. You'll likely find topics of interest outside your favorite sections. If more people used the site this way, we'd have less of an issue with thread visibility.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Staff Alumni
Can I pose a new question to change the topic? Can you please let us know what IS acceptable to post in the general forum then? It seems to me that almost every post/topic that someone posts up, would be directly related to a subsection on this forum, thereby making the general sedan forum obselete, no? Just curious what can be and will be tolerated in the general section.

Thanks
Jimmy, I think that is a great question. Unfortunately, I don't think it's one that can be answered in anything other than generalities.

That question is so broad that it's difficult to give specifics. To make a testing analogy, it's harder to prove a true condition than a false condition.

I think we all agree that the site is very structured. I will even agree that it is possibly too structured. However the issue arises when we attempt to agree on what subsections are unnecessary. Therefor I think it's best that each current subsection is retained.

So the easy answer to your question is if it belongs in an existing subsection, it should be posted in that subsection. Anything else is general. I know you're not going to like that answer, but that's all I can give; believe me, I'm not happy with the simplicity of that answer either.

Let me put it this way. Thread starters should make a genuine effort to place a thread in it's most relevant topic. If the mods of that section think it's better suited in another location, the mods can/may move it.

Unfortunately, given the above statement, we will continue to have people abuse the behavior of the mods and just blindly post all threads in the general section. That's something that the mods are just going to have to live with.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:31 AM
RXM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I think at issue here is the mechanics of use. I don't understand why people cherry pick specific forums to check for new posts. Being so selective in the long run does nothing more than prevent the person from being exposed to relevant posts in other areas.

I recommend using the New Posts feature. You'll likely find topics of interest outside your favorite sections. If more people used the site this way, we'd have less of an issue with thread visibility.
Agreed.

Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM

Thanks
I think this question may be able to be answered by viewing what is remaining in the forums. Those are threads that are valid for the Coupe/Sedan section.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Yes? No? Fly a kite? Take a long walk over a short plank? Genius? Retarded? El Stupido? Shove it up your Iranian nuclear power plant?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Perhaps a sedan section sticky that has sedan specific items like I mentioned before might be more of a valid request now:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/87276-section-all-sections-really-needs-better-sticky-info.html

Old 04-18-2007, 12:47 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by RXM
I agree that as the forum grows, there is bound to be some chaos and some level of control is needed. But going back to my point....if someone is posting in the suspension forum and the appropriate person does not view the thread, a possible scenario will ensue:

1. The person will not have their question answered
2. The person will most likely repost their question somewhere else
3. The mod will move it back to the suspension section
4. The person still doesn't have their question answered and gets upset that the thread keeps getting moved or closed
5. The person who has the knowledge to answer the question never even knew the thread existed to even give their input
6. The question never gets answered appropriately and future people with the same question will post about the exact same thing later on

Again...no one addressed my proposal of moving threads after a certain time frame. I believe this is a great idea and will make both sides happy.

1. Have a thread in the general section
2. After it gets enough views and people have contributed their information the thread gets moved after a few weeks of inactivity so that it can be archived.

THIS SHOULD SATISFY BOTH SIDES. Every trigger happy mod here seems not to have a problem of going through the motions of moving threads. How about just holding off on doing that for a few days, just so that it gets enough views. Delaying moving a thread is not going to stop the world from turning and will not cause any forseable choas on this site.
Reading this as an outsider, it seems pretty clear that he gets your point but has a counter thought. Yes, your idea about waiting to move them has its good points and believe me no one will respond to that either way until it has been discussed by mods - assuming they feel it is "considerable". That takes time so don't get upset if they don't reply on that one right away.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:51 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by RXM
I don't see how it would be a problem if they are moving threads at will right now. Instead of starting on page 1 and moving threads...how about starting on page 3 or 4 and begin moving things. What I am suggesting is nothing impossible or anything that would take more time that it takes you all to do right now. To not even consider a plausable idea and even show a little understanding is something I cannot comprehend. Ultimately, you are making both sides happy.
Do you have ANY idea how many pages of threads they already go through? I have sat on the couch with Trey when he is going through and it isn't like it's only a page or two here. Take a gander at the overall post count on the homepage each day and see how it changes. These people VOLUNTEER to do this and aren't paid anything. It's not something most people are willing to deal with IMHO.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Duh, I see what Trey did now.

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Yes? No? Fly a kite? Take a long walk over a short plank? Genius? Retarded? El Stupido? Shove it up your Iranian nuclear power plant?

Old 04-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Trey,

Nice WingCommander Avi!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Why are the mods now moving everything.