General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Extended Warranty ?!? PLEASE HELP!! Check Engine light..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Angry Extended Warranty ?!? PLEASE HELP!! Check Engine light..

Okay my warranty just expired last week I have a 05 G35x with 42K Miles.

Literally four days after my warranty expired my check engine light came on!!
I got a check engine light diagnosis from autozone and it said it has something to do with the air system but it was very vague, so I am hoping it is an air filter..?
I took it to my mechanic and he was unable to diagnos the problem and said I will have to take it into Infiniti..

NOT only that but my front right tire is making a strange grinding noise, again my mechanic was unable to diagnos it and he said it may be a bearing..
I just changed my brakes and rotors but he said it was neither and sounded like it may be a bearing, it seems like the noise gets louder when I turn right, but the noise also quites when I brake...?

WITH all of that being said I looked into extending the warranty and I was quoted:

4 years and additional $48K Miles with a $50 deductible for $1,800.

Should I go for it?
Also does anyone have a idea of how much it would cost to get the check engine light taken care of at the dealer?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.
Thank you!!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Anybody? Somebody? You!?

I am pretty sure I decided not to go with the extended warranty as a lot of wear and tear issues are not covered that are covered under the original warranty..

The noise on my front right tire also gets louder at higher speeds and I can feel it in my steering wheel... Any ideas?

My check engine light also turned off after I filled the tank, wtf.... thinking maybe it was something to do with the fuel sensor or cap, but I tried tightening it before and didnt work and I also tried the ECU reset.. Oh well its off for now..

Old 11-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Probably bearings are starting to go. Do you have aftermarket wheels and spacers? It's really odd to see OEM bearing go bad with low miles in stock conditions.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:41 AM
I actually just installed new rotors and brake pads about two weeks ago...
Which reminded me that the front left bolt was on soooo tight I needed a torch and a extended wrench to remove it I wonder if I bent something pulling on it!

Well I took it into my mechanic today to have him figure out the problem, once he diagnosis, I am going to see if it would fall under the warranty..
BUT I wonder if Infiniti would try to blame the aftermarket brakes/rotors on the problem.. whatever it is.... aaargh..

Old 11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The price you are getting for the warranty sounds about right with your mileage with a zero deductable. The check engine light should fall under the factory emission warranty which is longer than the factory bumper to bumper and drivetrain warranty.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would suggest, You call Courtney M at 800-955-9181. She can probably give you Infiniti Ext warranty at much better price... try. I have bought a few warranties from her on my Infinities.

Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
OKay first off thanks for the response and the refferal number.

My check engine light turned off on its own, I am guessing it had something to do with the gas cap/tank since after I filled it up all the way it turned off.. Strange because I did try replacing the gas cap a few times prior to see if that was the problem...

Turns out the front left wheel was nothing! After changing the brakes and rotors, I must not have tightened the bolts all the way using the air gun!! Needless to say I learned my lesson to double check and always tighten those manually!!
whew...

Old 11-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MJION
OKay first off thanks for the response and the refferal number.

My check engine light turned off on its own, I am guessing it had something to do with the gas cap/tank since after I filled it up all the way it turned off.. Strange because I did try replacing the gas cap a few times prior to see if that was the problem...

Turns out the front left wheel was nothing! After changing the brakes and rotors, I must not have tightened the bolts all the way using the air gun!! Needless to say I learned my lesson to double check and always tighten those manually!!
whew...
As far as the check engine light. If it comes on I would get an OBD reader hooked up to it right away so you can see what the code is that brings it on. Start counting the number of cycles you drive between when it comes on and when it resets. Some are like three cycles of not seeing a new code, some I think are as many as 48. This will at least give you a shorter list of what it could be if it resets before you gain access to a reader.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to let you know, bearings actually count under powertrain warranty which is 5 years 70k miles (and if the dealership tries telling you otherwise have them double check). And the price for the extended warranty sounds about right. There is an Elite and a Premium, Elite covers a lot more and it is worth it. If you are planning on keeping the car then it's definitely worth it. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head that DOESNT get covered is exhaust. But good luck!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
6 years and 70k is Powetrain Warranty.

Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Again, thanks to all who posted..
My check engine light has not turned back on since it turned itself off...

And on another note I had my TPMS turn on, and the back left tire had a nail in it.. Needless to say it does work...

Old 12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by Q45tech
6 years and 70k is Powetrain Warranty.

you are right, thank you for the correction

Old 12-15-2009, 02:02 AM
I decided not to go with the extended warranty as a lot of wear and tear issues are not covered that are covered under the original warranty.