General Tech Questions This Forum is Only for Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech categories.(No Classified Posts)

Valvoline coolant flush

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valvoline coolant flush

They quoted me 110 for a flush, Im wondering if its a bad idea to take it there.

Ive never had a problem with oil changes there, but still not sure.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
Originally Posted by cyrus32
They quoted me 110 for a flush, Im wondering if its a bad idea to take it there.

Ive never had a problem with oil changes there, but still not sure.
Who works for free?

Telcoman

Old 06-27-2017, 07:34 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm sure the quality of the work depends on the particular location. I was never impressed with the staff at my local valvoline. They seemed like knuckleheads that I wouldn't have work on anything of mine. And I'm always suspicious of big chain service shops like Valvoline and Jiffy Lube after talking to my neighbor who worked at JL about their shady practices. I'd rather DIY or find a local indy that has more of an incentive to do a good job. The outcome of the job may be no different but I feel better about my choice.

Also, depending on how they do the flush, I'm not confident that any generic chain shop can get all the air out of the G's system. It's not trivial like many cars.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrus32
They quoted me 110 for a flush, Im wondering if its a bad idea to take it there. Ive never had a problem with oil changes there, but still not sure.
Valvoline, Sears or Pep Boys? I for one wouldn't trust my ride to any of those shops, how good can those mechanics be that would work there? Just doing radiator drain & fill, take it to Nissan! Looking to have your radiator flushed, try a radiator shop in your area...that's all they do!
Gary

Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
I'd take it to the dealer or an independent mechanic you trust. Usually, I'm a DIY guy, however, coolant work is something I don't like doing unless I have to. Not because it's too hard, but because disposing of the stuff can be a big PITA. I have two large buckets full of old coolant for the past few years, because I haven't been able to dispose of it properly. Then add the fact of flushing it and you have to treat the contaminated water like coolant as well.

110 I don't think is not an unfair price, but I would rather spend that 110 at the dealer or somewhere else. I wouldn't trust the chain stores and it can take about 2 hours (in my experience) to bleed the car properly if you aren't using a vacuum to fill the system back up.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:33 PM
I called a few local mechanics and they all said they would have to see the car to give me a quote. ( whomp whomp)

I found a local radiator shop asked the guy if they did a flush and would it get all the fluid out, he didn't answer for 5 seconds and finally said :yea we flush whats in the radiator out. F that.

I called back Valvoline and the guy sounded totally confident, explained to me they use a vacuum to remove almost everything from the system. HOWEVER, he said they use the yellow universal fluid. my question is this universal stuff bad for the car? I hear it only last 30,000 miles. I think I may go with Valvoline I'll call my local dealer and see what they charge tomorrow.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
At this point the Nissan dealership may be your best bet...Not Infiniti but Nissan! I've even brought my own distilled water and Prestone radiator fluid for them to do the drain & fill, no one minded!
Gary

Old 06-27-2017, 11:31 PM
my local Nisan dealer has countless horrible reviews on yelp, a family member knew an ex employee from this place and he quit because they were making him do things he didn't fell comfortable doing, he also told her to have her Nisan repaired somewhere else.

Is the yellow universal fluid bad for the car?

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
Don't use the yellow universal stuff. You want OEM or ask for their (Valvoline) Zerex product for Asian vehicles it's a pinkish color i think. It has to be free of silicates if i remember right and i don't know if the yellow is or not.

Old 07-07-2017, 09:57 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I don't trust any mechanic at a franchise that I don't know personally. I've met and known way to many people that worked at quick lubes, dealerships, etc. The stories of what guys have done or what the bosses order and that they don't do the work they say they do, especially on a cars liquids. A flush sometimes ends up with a quick radiator drain and a top off. That is not a flush. A brake flush that's done in 10 minutes. Crap like that. The big one is they tell the customer what color there power steering or brake fluid or any fluid is supposed to be. Clear vs red, and so on. Just my 2 cents, luckily I learned and taught myself at an early age to do everything I possibly can on a car and only use shops as an opinion. Speed shops are a different story and I only deal with the ones I know or a close friend recommendeds. My mom just paid $1300 for inner and outer tie rods on a Crown Vic and the car still needs a upper ball joint and didn't get an alignment. Jeez for $1300 they couldn't have thrown a ball joint in with it. Her car currently rides like **** after that $1300 and she wasn't told the ball joint alignment issue until after she agreed to the $1100 tie rod and alignment job and everything else was fine. I would have stopped her but she didn't tell me til it what to late.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.