Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Kinetix SSV Manifolds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 09:39 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 2FastG354U
Can you give a link to those threads?? I just don't see how you can come to that conclusion when your stock plenum is like a circle. Add a MD spacer and you are just increasing the height of your plenum so how does that distribute so much better? The only thing I can think is that it just allows more air in but I don't see how it distributes it much better. The SSV has individual cylinder cut outs which you would think would distribute the air much more evenly and give each cylinder a good flow of air unlike a stock plenum that is just a circle. I have a MD spacer on my car now and I have a ssv on the way but I have been thinking about having the shop that is putting all my parts on do a dyno test of both. I would be shocked if the MD 5/16 spacer or the SSV plenum adds more then 3 to 5hp. $800 Bucks for 3 to 5hp is a terrible bargain but when you pop the hood it makes the piece priceless
The SSV looks hot, no question. I just wish the throttle body to velocity stack distance was equal for all the cylinders. The MD spacer on the stock plenum alleviates a spatial restriction present due to the low clearance between the upper plenum and the front two inlets of the lower plenum (introduced due to a shared platform with the 350z, which required the strut bar to fit over that part of the plenum). There are at least a dozen very controlled dynos that document AT LEAST 10 HP gain. You cannot reasonably/credibly question this claim.

Posts in favor of the SSV (NA):

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=10

(apparently there have been two "positive" dynos posted, one apparently really isn't from a G and actually looks identical to that posted above and the other is a 350z in concert with a TS reflash, which kind of confounds the issue)

those against (NA):

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...07&postcount=6
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...96&postcount=8

those against (FI):

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128560

The my350z site is down, but most of the detailed posts are over there. I was going to post those that showed positive results with FI, but the site went down... You can all hopefully perform these searches on your own (admittedly a bit harder since SSV is only 3 characters and you need 4 min to do a search!)

In answering your post, I found more than enough hands on reports from members that demonstrate that this design IS TERRIBLE FOR NA.

Good luck with your SSV.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-10-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rcdash
The SSV looks hot, no question. I just wish the throttle body to velocity stack distance was equal for all the cylinders. The MD spacer on the stock plenum alleviates a spatial restriction present due to the low clearance between the upper plenum and the front two inlets of the lower plenum (introduced due to a shared platform with the 350z, which required the strut bar to fit over that part of the plenum). There are at least a dozen very controlled dynos that document AT LEAST 10 HP gain. You cannot reasonably/credibly question this claim.

Posts in favor of the SSV (NA):

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=10

(apparently there have been two "positive" dynos posted, one apparently really isn't from a G and actually looks identical to that posted above and the other is a 350z in concert with a TS reflash, which kind of confounds the issue)

those against (NA):

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...07&postcount=6
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...96&postcount=8

those against (FI):

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128560

The my350z site is down, but most of the detailed posts are over there. I was going to post those that showed positive results with FI, but the site went down... You can all hopefully perform these searches on your own (admittedly a bit harder since SSV is only 3 characters and you need 4 min to do a search!)

In answering your post, I found more than enough hands on reports from members that demonstrate that this design IS TERRIBLE FOR NA.

Good luck with your SSV.
Well I have the MD spacer on now and I just don't like it for some reason. If you want mine I will sell it to you for 150 shipped

Old 07-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK -

I'm picking up an SSV tomorrow. I'll have it installed within a week and dyno'd. I will not post my dyno's - I don't do that and those of you who know me know that I don't.

I will let you know my gains or losses - based on my mods - see the sig.

Rick

Old 07-10-2006, 10:29 PM
The SSV is an FI friendly induction system because it has lower loss and internal friction than the stock plenum. Why doesnt that all that goodness work well for N/A? Because intake charges are affected by waves and resonances due to the intake valves snapping shut and creating reflections that affect cylinder filling. When you pressurize the intake with FI, those reflections become much less significant and the overall reduction in frictional losses rule.

The SSV in a N/A application will make good peak/high RPM, dyno bragging rights power because the velocity in the runners at 6K+ RPM will approach optimal. But dont blame Kinetix after you slap it on your N/A 5AT coupe and your 1/4 mile times suck shaft. Overall power throughout the RPM band is what wins races, not peak dyno chart stupidity.

The above is not a response to any particular poster, just a general comment and my opinion after 20 years of fooling around with this stuff.

Last edited by ballisticus; 07-10-2006 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did early tests on my car, before internals, and before the MD mods - the MD mods gave 2x the HP and TQ - MD gave me 26HP and 23TQ. After internals - MD ended up with 38HP and 34TQ...we'll see what happens with the SSV now...

Rick

Old 07-11-2006, 02:43 AM
Originally Posted by G.Ride
you guys and your bling, how bout just going fast lol
Now why can't we be blingin' and goin' fast?

Old 07-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by G.Ride
you guys and your bling, how bout just going fast lol

if people really cared about going fast being the only thing, everyone would simply stuff the largest engine in the smallest chassis possible and be done with it....

just the notion of owning a g35 is "bling-bling" factor or B-Squared in most any ones eyes.

as for the N/A manifold, looks decent, and the dyno looks decent as well. and someone mentioned 800$.... thats not bad at all, considering the 4 cylinders i used to mod had manifolds from hogan and venom totalling up to 1200$....

Old 07-11-2006, 08:31 AM
There's so much misinformation in this thread it's digusting. I'll paypal $25 to the first person who can post a before and after dyno (FI or N/A) that shows a gain with the SSV and I am not talking about a dyno chart for a non-tuned vortech, swaping out the plenum for the SSV while at the same time retuning the car. <---- That's horse chit! Show me a tuned car dyno chart. Then swap out the plenum for the SSV. Retune the car and show me the new dyno chart. Every one I've seen done like that has shown a loss.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gman2004
There's so much misinformation in this thread it's digusting. I'll paypal $25 to the first person who can post a before and after dyno (FI or N/A) that shows a gain with the SSV and I am not talking about a dyno chart for a non-tuned vortech, swaping out the plenum for the SSV while at the same time retuning the car. <---- That's horse chit! Show me a tuned car dyno chart. Then swap out the plenum for the SSV. Retune the car and show me the new dyno chart. Every one I've seen done like that has shown a loss.
Jorge, my ssv will be in by the end of the week. Paypal me the cash and I will have it tested on my NA motor and see what it really does so we can put this topic to sleep. If Dynamic Turbo had a dyno I would go back there but they don't so I have my eye on few other shops. I will test my MD 5/16 Spacer against the SSV.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 AM
Jorge, my ssv will be in by the end of the week. Paypal me the cash and I will have it tested on my NA motor and see what it really does so we can put this topic to sleep. If Dynamic Turbo had a dyno I would go back there but they don't so I have my eye on few other shops. I will test my MD 5/16 Spacer against the SSV.
what up Justin? Lujan motorsports has a dyno. they are close to dynamic turbo. Show me a pre and post dyno that show gains with the SSV and I'll paypal you $25. You know I don't BS!

http://www.lujanmotorsports.com/

Old 07-11-2006, 09:02 AM
what up Justin? Lujan motorsports has a dyno. they are close to dynamic turbo. Show me a pre and post dyno that show gains with the SSV and I'll paypal you $25. You know I don't BS!

http://www.lujanmotorsports.com/
What's up man, how are the gears?? lol I know you don't BS with money that's for sure.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:16 AM
What's up man, how are the gears?? lol I know you don't BS with money that's for sure.
The gears are great! I hardly ever use 6th now. The power is more usuable and the car is not as jerky in the lower gears (ATS twin carbon clutch). I can cruise @ 130mph in 5th @ around 5200 rpms. My rev limiter is set to 7400rpms.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 AM
The gears are great! I hardly ever use 6th now. The power is more usuable and the car is not as jerky in the lower gears (ATS twin carbon clutch). I can cruise @ 130mph in 5th @ around 5200 rpms. My rev limiter is set to 7400rpms.
Sweet good deal I am happy to hear that. We both made out good on the swap! Doing this Dyno test between Kinetix ssv VS MD 5/16 spacer will just resolve a lot of controversy.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey man,

I don't want or need your $25.00.... I am however going to do just what you have described this Friday. My SSV came in yesterday and I am going to do a couple of pulls with my crawford which is tuned.... Then I am going to have the SSV installed re-tune for the SSV and do a couple of more pulls...

I will post the dynos either way to let everyone see what makes more power...

This is Crawford -VS- SSV though.... Not stock -vs- ssv

Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Triji
Hey man,

I don't want or need your $25.00.... I am however going to do just what you have described this Friday. My SSV came in yesterday and I am going to do a couple of pulls with my crawford which is tuned.... Then I am going to have the SSV installed re-tune for the SSV and do a couple of more pulls...

I will post the dynos either way to let everyone see what makes more power...

This is Crawford -VS- SSV though.... Not stock -vs- ssv
Perfect we will have a FI ssv dyno and a NA ssv Dyno you couldn't ask for more.... No need to get nasty about it either. I think the 25 bucks was probably just a joke.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kinetix SSV Manifolds