Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

INJEN INTAKE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: INJEN INTAKE

I'll say this about Injen. Injen used my 2003 6MT to develop the intake for the 6MT. They had already come out with one for the 5AT, the problems with stalling at high-speed cropped up, and it happened to be I had literally just bought one and had the problem myself. I contacted them and being as I worked nearby, they agreed to use my car to develop the 6MT version and in return I got a new intake for free.

It's a quality product, well built with attention to detail. But over time I have become more and more convinced that it is not as good as the stock intake. The car just didn't seem as strong (I did several ECU resets) as originally, particularly when it got hot (either ambient air temp, or from traffic). It sometimes idled funny or wanted to stall when starting. I removed it the other weekend, put my OEM intake back on, and installed a Amsoil air filter, Z tube, and modified the box so it has some additional strategic openings to take in more air. I can't tell you for sure (b/c I do not have a dyno) whether it made more power with the Injen or not. But I am 100% convinced based on everyday driving that the OEM is at least as good as the Injen, and with the Z-tube and free flow filter, might be slightly better. The Injen looks cool. And maybe with a Crawford Plenum or Technosquare ECU tuning it works awesome - I don't have either so I can't say. But I am convinced based on my personal experience, and what I have read here on the forum from people who went to Technosquare, as well as over at My350Z.com, that the Injen/AEM intake design, which is generally similar on the G35 and not radically different, just does not yield really big gains, consistently. Maybe sometimes on some cars. Maybe with a certain fan set-up on the dyno. I'm sure the Dyno is legit - I think Injen is a quality company. But I felt FAR more of a difference when I added an exhaust, or the crank pulley, than I EVER did with the Injen and as a result, I have taken it off my car.

Before this I had a Tacoma V-6. K&N had developed an FIPK for the car, with a complete hot-air shield, great conical air filter like the Injen, and whole new intake tube. And when it was dyno tested against the stock intake, with the air-tube elbow removed (to increase flow), a round 2" hole cut in the front to take advantage of air-flow through the grille/headlight area, and a free-flow filter, the modified stock intake outperformed it, every time, hands down. I tried both on that car - and stuck with the modified OEM intake b/c it was w/o a doubt a superior difference you could feel on driving. I feel the same way now about the OEM G35 intake. No knock on Injen, but for my $, if you wanted to know the best way to spend $200 or $300 dollars it would be on a crank pulley, or y-pipe, or save up for a Crawford plenum - but I would make something like the Injen the last think you do, b/c I am not convinced it makes any difference, and if it does, I think it is so minor you really can't notice the difference (outside of the sound which is obvious).

Anyone want a really good deal on a used, but good shape Injen for a 6MT - let me know. I'll sell it very cheap + shipping.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by TooFast4U on 04/29/04 06:29 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-29-2004, 11:40 PM

First of all how the hell can brake dust get in through the plastic cover that the filter is enclosed by? I have catback exhaust with mine and I have NEVER had any problem with stalling or drone sounds. I have auto if that matters.
I would ever go back to stock.
I do have one question. Can you clean the filter that comes with the Injen intake?

2003 Blk/Blk Premium w/navigation
Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Clear Corners
Grounding Wires
255/45ZR17's rear

Old 04-30-2004, 12:36 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

I've seen post's about the need to check CAI filter's frenquently, people were suprised to find they were covered with bake dust. Even so, I didn't think about it. I did not discover what my Injen filter looked like until I started to remove it from the car for sale. Like I said, the inside of the fender wheel well is NOT a sealed compartment. And I will add that my car see's city driving 95% of the time thus far. If you have a long tube CAI, and you know for a fact that your not getting brake dust on it's filter, because you actually check it with your eye's, that's great. Mine, it was as black as coal, I worked my tail off to wash it as clean as possible.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-30-2004, 12:46 AM

Pulling off my Injen and selling it, had more to do with wanting to do even better, then it had to do with thinking it was a mistake to buy. I wanted a sealed system that would pressurerise at speed with a ram air effect. I modified a 350Z K&N typhon intake to give me that.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 04-30-2004, 12:54 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AeroG, I have the same sedan as you probably witht he intake but i have pulleys a few others, going under overpasses is the sickest sounding thing in the world... People also say it sounds like a "bike" or a racecar haha, also when racing my friends and passing them.. I love it but have no checked my filter either. I definitely know mine is as black as anything if everyone else see's it, how should I clean it? I also love the Injen, at first the power gains didnt feel like anything but actually worse and didnt gaina thing but actually lost power. I broke it in for over 6 months and now I feel it pull between gears so hard, its sick!! Anyone know how I shoudl clean it? Thanks, Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Full Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
350Z Springs
Clear Corners
ADR M-Classic 19's Soon..

Old 04-30-2004, 10:57 AM

It's that double take thing that's funny. I think some people are actually startled by the sound. I had a guy in an e46 325 sport - trying me - don't know why - he should have waited unitl is model numbers grew up (as in 330). But he for some reason wanted to irritate me - I let him get in front of me on the turnpike; As he attempts to get on it I put the
Auto in 3 - and I rode him like I was a Texas cowboy sound affects and all up to about 6K, and shift into 4th. I passed him he realized he had nothing coming, and he was left permanently behind. I know he's going to require therapy sessions at the BMW clinic.

I don't consider this a kill but more of a warning to him. 325's are handicapped horsepower wise, however a good driver can deal for a few, especially if you throw traffic into the mix, but if the road is clear .............

"03.5" G35-S Ivory Pearl Sport/Prem/Aerodyn-RS
"02" MBZ C-320 Sport Wagon Brilliant Silv/C-2 pac

Old 05-01-2004, 07:49 PM

As long as the filter has the same surface area as the original Injen filter wouldn't it be okay to use one with different dimensions?

Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Clear Corners
Grounding Wires
255/45ZR17's rear

Old 05-01-2004, 08:53 PM

Kelven,

Love my Injen CAI. The sound it makes is just sic. I had my 6mt dyno'd not too long ago with the Injen CAI and the results where 237.5 rwhp. I've added a V5 plenum to mix and things just keep gett'n better. No numbers with the V5 yet. I'm going to add my exhaust and cats b4 the next trip to the dyno.

Either way u can't go wrong. Just ditch the stock intake at the very least.

04' G coupe/TB/Prem/Sport/Nav/35% Tint/Injen CAI/Clear corners/V5 Plenum
Plates: 1REVER1

Old 05-02-2004, 01:34 AM

I put my RU-3130 K&N air filter on and it runs great. I was able to take the pipe with the air filter attached and put it down through the top. Then I was able to attach the pipe into the rest of the intake from above the car. I had to readjust the all the fittings for a perfect fit. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Clear Corners
Grounding Wires
255/45ZR17's rear

Old 05-02-2004, 01:55 AM

Are there brakes that don't have so much brake dust?

Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Unorthodox Crank Pulley
Clear Corners
Grounding Wires
255/45ZR17's rear

Old 05-02-2004, 11:45 AM

Yeah their are brake pads that dust less. Hawk makes their HPS pad in a front and rear fitment. Tirerack carries them. $61 for the front's and $55 for the rears, non Brembo fitment's. For coupe's with Brembo's the HPS pads cost $95 front and $67 rear from the Tirerack. If you just want to replace the front pads only, you can get EBC greenstuff front pads too.

Edmund Burke

G35 6mt