Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

hfc vs. test pipes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hfc vs. test pipes

what benefits do hfcs have over test pipes and vice versa? also i see theres a big price difference in several brands except for kinetix.. their test pipes are 389 and their hfcs are 399 why?? should i just stick to fi and crawford? and also do any of you guys have experience with titek test pipes or berk high flows? are they any good?

Old 09-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Test pipes will give you higher gains in hp but they will also produce a louder exhaust sound and sometimes give you rasp. You will also smell the gas with test pipes. With HFC's, you get gains, an increase in exhaust sound as well, and a little bit of the gas smell as well, but everything is more subtle compared to test pipes.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
both do the same.. Test pipes are just straight up hardcore in every way over the HFC

Old 09-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you get test pipes only get the resonated version unless you want to sound like a civic. Berk HFC's are good and titek test pipes are not resonated, i have Megan V2 resonated test pipes with the flex joint.

Here's a clip of my exhaust during slow driving and acceleration to give you an idea of how loud it is.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v505/HAYESGB/DSCN0517.flv">
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v505/HAYESGB/DSCN0516.flv">

Last edited by SteveBlake; 09-02-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
If you get test pipes only get the resonated version unless you want to sound like a civic. Berk HFC's are good and titek test pipes are not resonated, i have Megan V2 resonated test pipes with the flex joint.
How long have you had the megan racing test pipes? have you had a cel yet? i hear mixed reviews about the megan racing test pipes and thats why i didnt even bring it up. would you say it is close to fast intentions standards? i want a cat delete that will not crack or give me any problems.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know whats so special about Titek test pipes.. I had them on my car for a few months.. They're made out of titanium and look nice.. thats all I know about them

Old 09-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by g35dan99
How long have you had the megan racing test pipes? have you had a cel yet? i hear mixed reviews about the megan racing test pipes and thats why i didnt even bring it up. would you say it is close to fast intentions standards? i want a cat delete that will not crack or give me any problems.
I wanna say i've had them for 5k miles and no problems at all, plus cracking isn't really a problem because of the flex pipes but you have to install non-foulers because they DO cause a CEL every once in a while.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1trueG
Test pipes will give you higher gains in hp but they will also produce a louder exhaust sound and sometimes give you rasp. You will also smell the gas with test pipes. With HFC's, you get gains, an increase in exhaust sound as well, and a little bit of the gas smell as well, but everything is more subtle compared to test pipes.
^best comparison right there. i rock my test pipes even though they're loud and a bit raspy at times. just sounds meaner.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
I <3 my test pipes

Old 09-04-2008, 05:17 PM
w0ady and skaterbasist.. what test pipes are you guys running?

Old 09-04-2008, 05:20 PM
Retired SuperMod
I'm running the Fast Intentions Resonated Test Pipes. Great quality piping with an excellent resonator in it!

Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Banned
What it comes down to is ....FREE FLOWING......the more open and free flowing an exhaust is . The louder , raspier , and more drone the exhaust will have . I have tried just about all of the test pipes and HFC's there is and like I said , it comes down to the flow of the exhaust when iot comes to rasp and drone .

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Retired SuperMod
Booger,

The test pipes definately added more drone compared to my previous setup (stock cats, F.I exhaust). And the smell will always be there.

In general, yes, test pipes will add more rasp. But rasp is all going to come down to the quality of the resonator & exhaust combo. I can honestly say my exhaust has no rasp during DD & mild spirited driving, and very little rasp at WOT (only at a certain RPM and lower gears).

As far as loudness...its loud

Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM
on the same topic, which of the two would sound better with the stock exhaust? I dont know if i want to buy a new exhaust as well...

Old 09-04-2008, 06:15 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Booger,

The test pipes definately added more drone compared to my previous setup (stock cats, F.I exhaust). And the smell will always be there.

In general, yes, test pipes will add more rasp. But rasp is all going to come down to the quality of the resonator & exhaust combo. I can honestly say my exhaust has no rasp during DD & mild spirited driving, and very little rasp at WOT (only at a certain RPM and lower gears).

As far as loudness...its loud

Your exhaust is free flowing and it has some rasp [ a tinny souind ] . It always takes less flow to get rid of it completely . Im going back to Crawford HFC cats in a couple of days . I had RC cats , test pipes , and resonated test pipes , they all flow better but had bad rasp...the Crawfords have way less but dont flow as well either .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hfc vs. test pipes