Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

New intake choice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
subscribed for more info. If it can help cooler temps to get to the throttle body i may consider this.... We will wait and see.
you're gonna need more than this friend All my new tricks are ordered and install should start in a month or so...

I should be dialed in for the good weather track days

Old 09-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
you're gonna need more than this friend All my new tricks are ordered and install should start in a month or so...

I should be dialed in for the good weather track days
I just want a 13 second timeslip on my hands from CSW when i go there next time. I will get u back though in a year or so, don't worry.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by PFE
We evaluated 350Z/G35 and G37 underhood temps and the effect on air charge/internal tube temperatures. I may post these readings soon. The tube design was created with this in mind. The material chosen was the best insulator in terms of shielding the intake charge from ambient heat. It works very well in this regard. It's certainly much better than the steel tubing normally associated with these designs.
Why "may" you post them, is there a reason you dont?

Also,
can you guys do a test comparing intake temp with the Z-tube and this intake?

Old 09-18-2008, 05:24 PM
PFE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R2C Intake Temperatures

I'd like to add more data that includes temp. probe readings at idle and cruise as well.

The Z tube can be included in this analysis.

Regards,
PFE

Old 09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Like some have already pointed out, it appears the only real advantage to this intake is filtration. It might flow the best, but it's already been proven that the stock airbox (assuming a relatively clean air filter) can flow more than enough air for a VQ35DE at 7000rpms. "Q45tech" did this calculation years ago. Dynos for the Stillen CAI, JWT POP, etc constantly show little to no gain which further proves the OEM intake does it's job quite well.

Additionally, the stock airbox becomes slightly pressurized at speed and this improves throttle response and keeps ambient air flowing through the intake tract. By making the filter open anywhere to the engine bay, you remove the pressurization effect.

Finally, heat soak is a big deal, but you guys are putting WAY to much thought and effort into heat soak with regards to intakes. The reason being, when the intake tract is heat soaked, the intake manifold usually is as well. Additionally, when heat soak becomes a problem, it's usually hot outside which means the density altitude is already bogging down you car. Plastic is one of the better thermal insulators hence the reason every automaker including Ferrari uses plastic intake tracts. Essentially, the ideal setup is to keep the intake manifold and intake tract as cool as possible, but what works against the car, especially a G/Z is the fact that the engine bay is very hot thanks to bay being larger enclosed on all four sides. There's a lot of heat build up in there at a stop or at slower speeds. Simply put, a cast intake manifold mounted to screaming hot motor enclosed in a box is going to be a hot place. You engineer an intake tract to be as cold as possible, but there are way too many factors working against you and at best, you might be able to lower intake temps at the IAT by a coupe a degrees on a hot day.

I don't know about your cars, but when the weather is in the 60s and below, the intake manifold and intake tract stay cool to the touch during normal driving. Further proof that ambient temps influence underhood temps far more than a particular intake setup.

I have a VERY hard time believing this "new" intake is going to make any more power than any other intake for these cars because I'm seeing nothing really new here other than a rectangular intake pipe. I will be extremely surprised if anyone sees more than a couple HP gain with this intake. I've been wrong before, but I'm fairly confident about this one.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Currently I am using a KN cone filter in my custom intake, and would love to try your product out. Is there any way you can get me the measurements in circumference and diameter so I can see about fitment on my 2003 g35 sedan.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
DaveB,

Agreed on heatsoak, thanks for pointing that one out. i've been keen on that for a while now. people hate on my ARC intake pipe since it's metal. i always tell 'em that the upper and lower plenum are gonna be much bigger "hot spots"(no pun intended) for heat soak. even the guys running the plastic Kinetix V-plenum can't beat the heat. so i say it's not really a factor we have too much control over. as for the R2C filter, i see what ur sayin' BUT i will say that there isn't an easier to clean and maintain filter than the R2C on the market today. they've really done their research on this one. they use the same tech that we use in our Military HMMV air filters. i can tell you from experience that those can really take a beating and be brought back to life w/just an air hose and a few good shakes.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:21 PM
posts from a different thread - but regarding this filter... I'm a little miffed

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I received a PM from R2C and they said they were aware they were offering a filter that was too big to fit in the Stillen enclosure w/o modification (as per my thoughts). They said they would now incorporate that info into their instructions.

I feel like I'm doing R&D for these guys. Send me one, I'll install it with instuctions, pictures and a full write up.
Originally Posted by OCG35
^^^ wait... what??? The filter they said was designed specific for Stillen - they are now saying requires modifications to fit??? WTF?

Here I am all happy that someone finally makes a non oiled reusable replacement for Stillen and it turns out it doesn’t fit?

Hell there are already other replacement filter out there that will fit with modifications... doesn’t Ams make one>

I'm kinda pissed now.

PPE... whats up??? Why did you say this was a direct fit replacement for Stillen?... Tell me this is wrong, because I'm about ready to slander this product if what was posted is accurate... especially based on what you have posted previoulsy.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:41 PM
PFE
Filter size

When the original fitting was performed on the Stillen equipped G35, the plastic at the lower front of the box had been trimmed. Not knowing this, the filter was produced to maximize performance and capacity based on the room allowed in this application. Certainly no intention to mislead anyone. The fact is that the lower area of the box must be trimmed for clearance of the R2C filter. The comparison photos made this fact clear. Apologies for any mis-information but I'm certain you will enjoy the performance and unmatched filtration of the new R2C technology. That said, I'm here for rebuttal.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
Sorry, Stillen owners... I've got the JWT setup, fit fine. Please don't be discouraged by a lil' trimming, it's still easier to install than a CAI. here's something i wrote on another thread:

Originally Posted by SDGenius
people spend $200+ on intakes systems that lose power, filter poorly, and have to be constantly maintained. the filter alone out flows & out filters the competition w/retard-proof maintenance. hell, if you read the forums you'll see the best intakes out there can't beat the stock setup. so if ur already gonna spend the $$$ pretty much for looks and sound, then why not have that AND a few more benefits??? you'll get the best engine protection and the best flow along w/the easiest clean up around. if ya already have an intake system you like, you can still upgrade ur filter and add convenience, protection and flow for $75 MSRP. the vendors can get 'em to you for $65 and this group buy will get ya the latest & greatest for less than that. as you can all see from the websites, this stuff is brand new and pretty pricey. the dual setup for the G37 and late model 350Z go for $500 and the full setup for the DE engines goes for $330, from the vendors. right now we're hookin' up a special SD/SoCal group buy to put R2C to the test and save some cash in the process.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey Everyone,

My 04 G35 was one fo the cars R2C used for their measurements of the new intake.

Also, my G was the one they used to figure out how to fit the Stillen filter:

The only thing that needs modifications is to cut the plastic under the power duct attachment, and the filter fits just fine (BTW, a simple pair of heavy duty sheers will do the job).

For all of you Stillen and JWT guys, the R2C filters are great and highly recommend them for replacing the traditional gauze filters currently utilized in your intakes.

Here's more info on the media used for traditional intakes as opposed to the R2C's material...

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...ir-filter.html

-JC

Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
PFE, are there any updates on a possible drop in for the stock air box. I am sure you would get alot of business with that product if it filters and flows well. All we have right now are stock, Amsoil, K&N and a few other hard to find filters.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by JC79G35
Also, my G was the one they used to figure out how to fit the Stillen filter:

The only thing that needs modifications is to cut the plastic under the power duct attachment, and the filter fits just fine (BTW, a simple pair of heavy duty sheers will do the job).

-JC
A close up to what you are referencing would help… I know what/where the power duct is - however, I’m not entirely sure of what you specifically you cut… before and after pictures of what you modified to make this filter fit would be great. The pic you posted doesn’t show what I’m asking about.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
It's pretty clear what you need to cut if you take a look at my intake thread. the powerduct lower portion along with a portion of the stillen piece needs to be cut away to make room for the longer filter.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It's pretty clear what you need to cut if you take a look at my intake thread. the powerduct lower portion along with a portion of the stillen piece needs to be cut away to make room for the longer filter.
link & pics would help...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New intake choice