Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by juan350gt
The ART pipes are good in power and deep sound, now as far as Smell,its smells horrible like burning oil and smokes up abit the 1st few day since they use oils to help bent the pipes while making them and to avoid being rusted while sitting.The smell should fade away not completely but it mellows down after 1k or 1500miles..but which test pipe set up doesn't smell the 1st time? non they all smell bro so don't worry.

Yep if I was debating btw Test Pipes or ART Pipes, I wouldn't think twice about picking ART since they both allow fumes to go thru.

However, I am trying to decide btw HFCs and ART pipes. So the real question is related to the increase in HP from ART pipes compared to HFCs Vs. not having to deal with fumes if I go with HFCs

BTW the rest of my exhaust is OEM, only changed part is HR Y Pipe.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
If odor is an issue, you can always use the XYZ pipe with the HFC.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
well if you want HP, go ART pipes import tuner aplauded this work of ART =) Tony did a great job with these advance resonating Test pipes,If smell is an issue than go wit the XYZ like my friend above me said i am gonna try and do that as well..P.S> ART pipes give more HP than any other Test pipe in the Market.
Originally Posted by ConradoR
Yep if I was debating btw Test Pipes or ART Pipes, I wouldn't think twice about picking ART since they both allow fumes to go thru.

However, I am trying to decide btw HFCs and ART pipes. So the real question is related to the increase in HP from ART pipes compared to HFCs Vs. not having to deal with fumes if I go with HFCs

BTW the rest of my exhaust is OEM, only changed part is HR Y Pipe.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Hey dave if i use the XYZ with my Art Pipes, will that cause a Loss in Horse power and Less Loud exhaust? I am thinking of buying the XYZ as well but if i lose power n noise then i'll stay away from it. Thnx
Originally Posted by DaveB
If odor is an issue, you can always use the XYZ pipe with the HFC.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by juan350gt
Hey dave if i use the XYZ with my Art Pipes, will that cause a Loss in Horse power and Less Loud exhaust? I am thinking of buying the XYZ as well but if i lose power n noise then i'll stay away from it. Thnx
Hey Juan thanks for the input. If I'm not mistaken the ART pipes will increase 5-8 hp over any Test Pipe, according to the Import Tuner Article (also there's a great article on the LS2 powered Z in that same edition)

The XYZ pipe is a good idea and I have read about ART pipes + XYZ pipe combo while going over the ART review theads. However, as you mentioned, I haven't found any data regarding the performance of the ART pipes Vs. ART pipes w/ XYZ pipe. Adding the XYZ pipe would solve the fume issue, but I feel like adding it would defeat the purpose of the ART pipes since it would bring down the breathing ability that was enhanced with the removal of OEM cats.

To my understanding, going ART +XYZ would be the same as running HFCs since it would be basically moving the cat further along the exhaust system.

But maybe I'm completely wrong... Tony?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ Precisely because the HFC module is further down the pipes, it won't affect the performance nearly as much as with HFCs in their usual location. Tony's explained before in the past how the location of exhaust components is very important concerning performance. I'm sure Tony will chime in on this.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
nice thnx for the input ConradoR =) , yea i saw the LS2 powered Z that **** got jacked , in new york or new jersey, thats the thing with american engines u install them on any car or even their own car any idiot can come and turn it on in your drive waya dn take it, thats how the guy lost his Z, =( i would personally go with the Vk56 drooool!! that **** can put down 600+hp like the FIA GT1 GTR, who beat lamborghini 2nd and Aston martin 3rd to the 1st place podium =).. So no i am buying Motordynes Titanium exhaust not really expensive at all for $1785 its a fair price =).. i'll add input on that as well.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by ConradoR

To my understanding, going ART +XYZ would be the same as running HFCs since it would be basically moving the cat further along the exhaust system.

But maybe I'm completely wrong... Tony?
The combination of ART pipes with the XYZ HFC will make more power than standard HFC's.

The Motordyne setup will also be quieter and have greater long term reliability because the converter is farther away from the engine.

The Motordyne HFC will be exposed to 900'F exhaust gasses as opposed to 1200'F exhaust gases at the outlet of the headers. That 300 deg F thermal difference will make a big difference on the life and reliability of the converter.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 02-09-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts
[QUOTE=Silencer_0;5663662]I know you're upset with all the crap that's happened to your car, but I sure hope you're being sarcastic about this mod slowing down the car and that having a vortech, or FI in general, will give you peace of mind over bolt-ons.

While I agree that going with a vortech is a cheap way to make a lot of power, the risk of you blowing your engine with it is far more greater than just staying with bolt-ons.

My car smells like exhaust fumes just like all car's with test pipes do, not like burning oil. Honestly, it's impossible to tell you whether the fumes will bother you or not. Like you said, some people can handle it, others can't. It just depends on the person. I DD my car with the windows open all the time. You can smell it if you're sitting at a light or in traffic, but it's really not that bad. You can't smell it if your windows are closed. No one who's ever been in my car has mentioned the smell.

From the outside, the smell is pretty bad, or so my friends who drive behind me tell me lol. No problems with the law so far though, and I've had cops in car's and motorcycles behind me. Obviously you take it easy on the throttle when a cop is near.

As for the harmonic sound, that's really difficult to describe. The best way I could think of describing it was that it "mellows" it out. I know that's not much help lol.[/QUOTE

I was being sarcastic about the Art pipes slowing down the noobs G. In order to maximize power with the Arts u need headers, full exhaust, and a tune. And all that is gonna total about 1900.00. To gain about what. .....50wph Max.
I say add another three grand and go big. I rather change 1 big item, than change forty small one's .And how much faster r u gonna be with a totally stock motor and ARTS.........not much.
I personally know four G's with Stillen Superchargers,all of them r still on there first engine, and there problems are minor compared to mine.
Don't get it confused. I still love my G. ......but I hate the oil consumption.

Last edited by butkiss1; 02-09-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Tony Knows Owns all lol, Tony's products are top notch reliable and power proven. Good job Tony.
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
The combination of ART pipes with the XYZ HFC will make more power than standard HFC's.

The Motordyne setup will also be quieter and have greater long term reliability because the converter is farther away from the engine.

The Motordyne HFC will be exposed to 900'F exhaust gasses as opposed to 1200'F exhaust gases at the outlet of the headers. That 300 deg F thermal difference will make a big difference on the life and reliability of the converter.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are the art pipes direct bolt on? or are there modifications needed to install it?

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
direct bolt on.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, since I thoroughly wasted Tony's time just now and probably confused him to the point he thinks I drive a Pinto...

Anyone have a diagram/pic of the stock underside of an '07 Coupe?

Old 02-21-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by butkiss1
I was being sarcastic about the Art pipes slowing down the noobs G. In order to maximize power with the Arts u need headers, full exhaust, and a tune. And all that is gonna total about 1900.00. To gain about what. .....50wph Max.
I say add another three grand and go big. I rather change 1 big item, than change forty small one's .And how much faster r u gonna be with a totally stock motor and ARTS.........not much.
I personally know four G's with Stillen Superchargers,all of them r still on there first engine, and there problems are minor compared to mine.
Don't get it confused. I still love my G. ......but I hate the oil consumption.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how N/A upgrades such as the spacer, lower plenum (rev-up) and an upgraded 3" exhaust would be detrimental if you decided to go FI. Throw in an uprev or Cobb's unit and you're still ahead of the game if you decide to switch over.

The ART pipes may hinder an FI application if your goal is to have 3" piping from the downpipe to the muffler.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
Well, since I thoroughly wasted Tony's time just now and probably confused him to the point he thinks I drive a Pinto...
That's's cool. Feel free to call any time. That's what I am here for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advanced Resonance Tuning (ART Pipes)