Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Dynoing out the myth of Intake mods: The Results

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Rob you the man, thanks for the amazing work. Just what I needed today, gonna get my spacers and mrev2 and a tube, no intake upgrade for me.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was regular air box dyno against the revup air box? only difference between the two being the velocity stake on the inside

Old 03-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by MikeGrote
the same rule applies, and i can say this because ive owned and modded my fair share of chevys
You must have done the wrong type of modding and not enough research then...

The VQ engines do NOT respond well to Intakes...

The V8 muscle cars will easily give you 10-15hp increase from an intake...

Do more research before making such a general statement...

Old 03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCobra

Maybe he modded on Cavaliers, they are chevys with no V8. But if hes had a lot of experience modding Cavaliers.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Yea but he has to be wrong. Vettes or even Mustangs, or heck even a 4 cyl Honda can gain almost 10 hp from an intake.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by G3LU5
^ Yea but he has to be wrong. Vettes or even Mustangs, or heck even a 4 cyl Honda can gain almost 10 hp from an intake.
Correct, my friends RSX-Type S 4 cylinder gains 10+hp from a CAI, it really depends on the car...

But in general, for V8s, all respond greatly to mods...specially since the stock intake is so restrictive on such a big engine...

Old 03-18-2011, 06:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Intake mods really depend on the car. Some intakes like the VQ are already 100% efficient from the factory. It also depends on power levels. Once you go FI even the VQ airbox becomes a bottleneck.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have yet to see any conclusive evidence or test of an intake giving more than a few HP, which is more likely dyno or temp variances. If you have it, please post it and I will admit I was wrong. But chances are, if it's out there, I would've seen it by now. I'll say it again. Without significant breathing mods, ie. cam, larger valves, added displacement, etc. an intake is a waste. The stock intake will supply all the engine needs without those mods. Not to mention the added dust particles and heat the engine sees with most intakes. Again, please post evidence to prove me wrong.

And about the cavalier comment, my experience is mostly with stroked and cammed v8s, not something that comes out of a cavalier, although the power to weight would be awfully nice

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM

again, 110% false, sounds like you are the one needing to do more research. No offense, just hate bad info on this type of thing. Again, post conclusive evidence and I'll admit I'm wrong. There is even a test showing oiled gauze filters letting more dust into an engine, another reason to leave it stock, I'll try to find that filter test

Old 03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
Correct, my friends RSX-Type S 4 cylinder gains 10+hp from a CAI, it really depends on the car...

But in general, for V8s, all respond greatly to mods...specially since the stock intake is so restrictive on such a big engine...
Post dynos please, I call bs. Again, no offense.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:45 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I have yet to see any conclusive evidence or test of an intake giving more than a few HP, which is more likely dyno or temp variances. If you have it, please post it and I will admit I was wrong. But chances are, if it's out there, I would've seen it by now. I'll say it again. Without significant breathing mods, ie. cam, larger valves, added displacement, etc. an intake is a waste. The stock intake will supply all the engine needs without those mods. Not to mention the added dust particles and heat the engine sees with most intakes. Again, please post evidence to prove me wrong.

And about the cavalier comment, my experience is mostly with stroked and cammed v8s, not something that comes out of a cavalier, although the power to weight would be awfully nice
again, 110% false, sounds like you are the one needing to do more research. No offense, just hate bad info on this type of thing. Again, post conclusive evidence and I'll admit I'm wrong. There is even a test showing oiled gauze filters letting more dust into an engine, another reason to leave it stock, I'll try to find that filter test
Post dynos please, I call bs. Again, no offense.
You're an idiot.

Does the VQ benefit from intake mods (without tuning) ??? No. Just like you said and this test confirmed.

Dose an LS1? Yes, absolutely, almost every single time.

You want proof? Go buy this: http://isbnlib.com/isbn/193249488X/H...V-8s-SA-Design

I thumbed through it at a summit store in GA, and it was chock full of in-depth dyno results on every single mod, and even had a section on cheap LS1 mods.
The cheap mods section specifically listed changing the intake box as one of the best, easiest ways of gaining 10-15 hp and backed it up with dyno tests.
And that's an independent test, not some company like SLP or K&N trying to push a product with tweaked dyno charts.

Just because something is true for a Japanese DOHC V6 in a Japanese designed car, does NOT mean it holds true for an American pushrod V8 in an American designed car!

I'm sorry if I come off a little rough, but you're the one acting like a know-it-all, when in reality you're spouting off incorrect information.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm not gonna buy the book, post something people can read without spending money. And I will not resort to name calling, unlike you sir. Either way, most of my experience is with earlier small blocks. Even if you did get 10hp, you're still letting in more crap into the chamber. Anyway, this is off topic so if you find something worth my time to read, send me a pm. Great test OP!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:13 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
^Ok, then... don't buy it.
Do what I did and get out from behind your keyboard, go to a bookstore or a summit store, and thumb through it.
Or just do some research, there's plenty of proof on f-body sites that intake mods DO yield horsepower.

Some of the mods have nothing to do with the filter either.
GM puts baffles in the stock airbox lid (God knows why ) so you can actually increase flow and gain power simply by modding the factory air box and even keeping the oem filter.

Why would you be commenting on the LS1, and then defending your erroneous comments, if your experience is on earlier small blocks (which are in themselves entirely dissimilar to the LS1 anyway) ???
And now, suddenly, your going to remark that all of this is off-topic? Despite the fact that you're the one that brought up the LS1, therefore starting the OT discussion in the first place! Really???

Old 03-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 513 Likes on 420 Posts
I have yet to see any conclusive evidence or test of an intake giving more than a few HP, which is more likely dyno or temp variances. If you have it, please post it and I will admit I was wrong. But chances are, if it's out there, I would've seen it by now.
Originally Posted by NFSP G35

You want proof? Go buy this: http://isbnlib.com/isbn/193249488X/H...V-8s-SA-Design

I thumbed through it at a summit store in GA, and it was chock full of in-depth dyno results on every single mod, and even had a section on cheap LS1 mods.
The cheap mods section specifically listed changing the intake box as one of the best, easiest ways of gaining 10-15 hp and backed it up with dyno tests.
And that's an independent test, not some company like SLP or K&N trying to push a product with tweaked dyno charts.
I'm not gonna buy the book, post something people can read without spending money.
You wanted to see evidence, you were given evidence. You're telling people to research further, yet you refuse to do it yourself.

Tell you what... YOU show me evidence that it doesn't increase power on an LS1. Post conclusive evidence that it doesn't work and I'll admit I'm wrong

Old 03-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
guys, can we take the LSx talk to another thread? I'd like to keep this on topic with the VQ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dynoing out the myth of Intake mods: The Results