Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Passed Smog With Art Pipe Replicas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Passed Smog With Art Pipe Replicas

This thing was only a 400 cell count ceramic catalytic converter that was welded onto my oem ypipe to pass smog. I was gonna have the second cat welded onto the midpipe as well but I didn't and still pass smog easily. The pollutants were all under 1.0 unit, and some were nearly 0.1 unit.
I had my Art Pipe replicas on and the thing spilled out white smoke but the cat pretty much cleaned it all up and no smoke at all. This is a nice trick for anybody who don't want to remove their test pipes or hfc to pass smog. Enjoy...

Attached Thumbnails Passed Smog With Art Pipe Replicas-ypipecat.jpg   Passed Smog With Art Pipe Replicas-ypipe-cat.jpg  

Last edited by g35sweetness; 05-16-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: pic
Old 05-11-2011, 06:06 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
What the heck are ART pipe replicas?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I posted pic and info last night but the mods shut it down because it was in poor taste on my part and forum rules... basically it was a "rip-off of Tony's ideas"... so I do not want to post too much info on this. In reverence to Tony and MD... thanx

Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I see. Ok then.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well thats cool. Could you pm me more info on these replicas?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by g35sweetness
This thing was only a 400 cell count ceramic catalytic converter that was welded onto my oem ypipe to pass smog. I was gonna have the second cat welded onto the midpipe as well but I didn't and still pass smog easily. The pollutants were all under 1.0 unit, and some were nearly 0.1 unit.
I had my Art Pipe replicas on and the thing spilled out white smoke but the cat pretty much cleaned it all up and no smoke at all. This is a nice trick for anybody who don't want to remove their test pipes or hfc to pass smog. LMK if you guys have any questions...

Hmmm....that's a bit silly that your post got deleted because your test pipe setup emulated Motordyne's. I don't think that the MD product is patented yet and I guess I'd have a hard believing it could be formally patented since the resonance tuning technology utilized has already run it's patent course and has been used in all sorts on motor applications over the decades. I understand that MD wants to keep the ART pipes exclusive, but until the part is patented, how could this be considered a violation of site rules or the patent law for that matter?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup. I plan on doing something very similiar, eventually. I don't want to spend the $650 on the XYZ pipe and MD cat because I already have the sweet HR y-pipe and it makes the same gains as the XYZ pipe. Would that mean the XYZ pipe design emulated the HR Y-pipe's design since the HR pipe was first to market? All kidding aside, since the HR Y section joint much further downstream than the DE Y section joint, it will force me to put the cat in the midpipe, just on the other side of the flange that connects the Y-pipe and midpipe.

Do you notice a reduction noise with the cat?

What brand cat did you use? How much?

Any rasp or other strange sounds?

Old 05-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by DaveB
Hmmm....that's a bit silly that your post got deleted because your test pipe setup emulated Motordyne's. I don't think that the MD product is patented yet and I guess I'd have a hard believing it could be formally patented since the resonance tuning technology utilized has already run it's patent course and has been used in all sorts on motor applications over the decades. I understand that MD wants to keep the ART pipes exclusive, but until the part is patented, how could this be considered a violation of site rules or the patent law for that matter?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your setup. I plan on doing something very similiar, eventually. I don't want to spend the $650 on the XYZ pipe and MD cat because I already have the sweet HR y-pipe and it makes the same gains as the XYZ pipe. Would that mean the XYZ pipe design emulated the HR Y-pipe's design since the HR pipe was first to market? All kidding aside, since the HR Y section joint much further downstream than the DE Y section joint, it will force me to put the cat in the midpipe, just on the other side of the flange that connects the Y-pipe and midpipe.

Do you notice a reduction noise with the cat?

What brand cat did you use? How much?

Any rasp or other strange sounds?
Do you notice a reduction noise with the cat? - yes reduction by 1/3rd atleast

What brand cat did you use? How much? - i got the somethin"flow" from an exhaust store here for $95+tax

Any rasp or other strange sounds? - well i have a cheap exhaust system on my car so nothing will remove all of the rasp, not even with oem cats so this one i will leave alone since i can't answer it properly without more info on my part - sorry

&

I definitely agree with you on all that you have said above... Thank you!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That is not an ART pipe replica...it's an XYZ pipe replica, if you can even call it that...

Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 PM
The 2 pictures refer to the oem ypipe modification - aftermarket cat added for passing smog...
The Art Pipe replicas are actually nonresonated test pipes modified with resonators/dead chambers branching out from the side of them... for more backpressure... thanx

Last edited by g35sweetness; 05-15-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
I don't want to spend the $650 on the XYZ pipe and MD cat because I already have the sweet HR y-pipe and it makes the same gains as the XYZ pipe.
Do you have a dyno chart of this?

Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 136 Likes on 62 Posts
as long as you don't sell your replica art pipes you shouldn't have an issue. there is nothing wrong with a little DIY ingenuity.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by almost3flips
Do you have a dyno chart of this?
https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...pipe-dyno.html

Old 05-15-2011, 01:18 PM
That's awesome! Kinda wish I stuck with my original plan of getting the hr y pipe over the xyz to save some monies....oh well.

This looks to be a great alternative for those who want to pass smog without buying the xyz with cat

Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I dont get it... you welded a HFC so your test pipes would pass smog? I must be misunderstanding because that would be completely pointless.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:38 PM
same concept as the xyz pipe with the catalytic converter piece

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Passed Smog With Art Pipe Replicas