Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

Rev-up Airbox or JWT Popcharger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2022, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coups 6MT black/tan
REALLY sorry for bringing up a dead post... I know if i would have posted a new thread, people would say "go look up older threads.." so i just figured id ask here...

So just to confirm.. im installing magnaflow catback tomorrow..
I currently have just a K&N drop in filter, but i was thinking of getting the Z-tube as well.

Question:
1.) with the Z tube and magnaflow catback, i DO NOT need a tune right? just undo the negative battery terminal and then let it learn on its own?
2.) installing the Z-Tube without a tune.. will it cause me to LOSE hp? even if its one or two?

Thanks in advance guys.. really just trying to learn.

Old 06-24-2022, 01:43 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,465 Likes on 2,157 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Z-tube is the "best" intake for stock diameter tubes. Either a factory 350Z one or the Stillen aftermarket Ztube. You will need the 350Z PCV hose with the 350Z intake tube.

You will not lose or gain any horsepower from the z-tube, it will make the engine SOUND much throatier though which is why most people recommend it.

Rev-up airbox, this is the part that the air filter goes into, 2005-2007 6MT coupes and 2005-2006 6MT sedans had a slightly different airbox with a larger venturi stack ring. This is a performance upgrade over the older style of airbox, you will gain horsepower, uses the same air filter, and bolts directly up with no modifications needed. They literally look the same from the outside but the rev-up has the larger internal venturi stack.

In this photo the rev-up box is the one on the right, significantly larger venturi stack.

That cat back exhaust doesn't affect flow across the catalytic converter O2 sensor, nor does it provide for a significantly appreciable increase in exhaust airflow due to the restrictive nature of the stock catalytic converters. Thus there is normally no REQUIRED tune for it to work, it will simply make your exhaust louder with a minimal increase in flow (the Magnaflow is a 2.5" single pipe just like the stock midpipe). Heck you could remove the entire exhaust after the cats and the computer would never even know. Your neighbors on the other hand...

You can disconnect the negative battery terminal, then pump the brakes and wait 10 minutes, OR you can just do the ECM reset pedal dance which is much quicker (about 30 seconds, use a stopwatch the time needs to be accurate) and won't reset your radio. All you're doing basically is resetting the long term fuel trim.

Keep in mind that most of your bolt on things like this really need an UpRev tune to get the most out of the bolted on component. If you just bolt on a full exhaust, plenum spacer, and run it with no tune sure you'll make like 20WHP more but with a tune you could be making 40-45WHP from those same components. If you have a 5AT you NEED a 5/16 plenum spacer, it's the single most mandatory upgrade for the non-revup VQ35DE.