Intake & Exhaust Questions and info regarding various aftermatket exhaust systems for the G35 (Headers,Y-Pipes, and Cat-Back Systems)

My little review for HKS Hi-power exhaust...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:32 AM
_G_
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My little review for HKS Hi-power exhaust...UPDATED WITH PICS!!!

[/B][/B]Alright maybe this should be posted in the "Modification Review" section, but I wanted to share here first. After 7 months of waiting, I finally have my HKS Hi-power true dual exhaust for my 2004 Coupe (5AT). Current engine mods are Z-tube w/K&N filter, and plenum spacer.

First off, I don't have much experience in aftermarket exhaust, and I definitely don't have much experience with installing aftermarket stuff. But putting this thing on was easier than I thought. Well it's easy if you have a lift It came with all the nuts, bolts, gaskets, and everything fit like a glove. I think the hardest part was taking out the stock pipes. If your going to do this yourself, goodluck. It's best to have 2 people because you really need to muscle those pipes off the rubber pieces (donuts?). Also, having some "PB Blaster" really helps to lube up the mounting points.

So the install took me a total of about 1.75 hours. 15 minutes trying find the lift points for this car. 15 minutes to carry in the HKS boxes and getting tools ready. 45 minutes trying to take off the stock exhaust . 30 minutes to install the HKS exhaust system.

LOOKS - After it was on, I finally got to take it off the lift and get a good look at the rear... ....wow. This thing is gorgeous. I thought the pictures on the internet look good, but in person, Fuh-get about it! The stainless steel is immaculate and the welds look even better. The Quality and workmanship is very very nice. The angled cans and torched tips really sets the rear of this car off!

SOUNDS - After we dropped it to the ground, it was time to start it up. Again... ... It sounds perfect (to me). Obviously all this is a matter of preference, but I was looking for something that sounds deeper than stock (at all RPM's), and mean. At idle it sounds deeper and a bit louder. WOT it really sounds aggressive and throaty <is that a word?. Like it just want's to fight I didn't want something that was high pitched or really loud and obnoxious. I also didn't want something that would wake the neighbors or set off car alarms. I just wanted something deeper, meaner, and louder than stock, and that's exactly what I got.

PERFORMANCE - This is where it got me a little My butt dyno feels like I lost a tad of low end...not too much. Just enough for me to say, "Hey, what happened to that tad of low end". But I'm very very impressed with the top end (3.5k and up). It really tears it up. I guess it evens out. We took it for a little drive on a long straight road and opened it up, and again... ...wow. I can't speak for hard dyno proof...yet. All I have to rely on for now is the butt, and the butt dyno don't lie

So to sum it up. I am soooo happy with this exhaust system. I don't regret it at all! It scored very well in every category (well except low end TQ). But from what I gather, that's what happens with TD exhaust. Maybe it needs to settle into the car or maybe I need to reset my ECU. Either way, I feel I bought this exhaust mainly for looks and sounds, because there's no exhaust that will put out high amounts of gain on this engine. If your looking for performance output, save for forced induction.

I'll say it again...Pricey. Yes.
Worth it. Ya DAAAAAAAAM RIGHT!

I have pics but I'll have to load them later. I also have a 3MB sound clip if someone can host it.

Last edited by _G_; 02-04-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the great review. Now let's see some pics!

Old 01-26-2006, 08:27 AM
THE BATMOBILE
glad to hear after 7 months of waiting your happy with it.........pics!!!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Mod Junky!
How about a sound clip. I do not think I have found a good clip on the HKS to date. It would be great to have a true running clip of the exhaust

Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
_G_
Originally Posted by e420x
How about a sound clip. I do not think I have found a good clip on the HKS to date. It would be great to have a true running clip of the exhaust
I have a sound clip, but I also need someone to host it. Or does anybody know a free site where I can put it?

This is a clip of the car at Start up (not a cold start), idle, and up to redline. I don't have any sound clips of the car passing by...yet. I just put it on last night, so I'll be posting pictures here shortly.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:53 AM
Mod Junky!
Can you email it to me ebalbier@bellsouth.net

Old 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM
THE BATMOBILE
use putfile.com to upload videos

Old 01-26-2006, 02:52 PM
_G_
Originally Posted by e420x
Can you email it to me ebalbier@bellsouth.net
Emailed. Let me know when you get it and what you think.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Mod Junky!
Ok I received the sound clip...I must say very imp[ressive. very different from what I have heard previsouly. It sounds very deep , throaty and mean. I would love to get a drive by clip but I am very impressed with the clip sent.

Thanks G

Old 01-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Mod Junky!
Old 01-26-2006, 06:04 PM
THE BATMOBILE
sounds great.........MEAN!!!..........cant see **** in that video lol

Old 01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
_G_
Originally Posted by truplay8
sounds great.........MEAN!!!..........cant see **** in that video lol
Yeah, it was night time and I left the camera on the floor by the tips. I'll try to get some drive by runs.

Thanks e420x for providing a link to the sound clip. So, do you hear what the big deal is now?

Old 01-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Can some1 send this sound file to my email? Im really anxious to hear it and the link wont work for me , they never work for me , can some1 be nice enough?

chilibowl@gmail.com

Last edited by chilibowl; 01-26-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Youe new HKS sounds awesome! Enjoy!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Mod Junky!
I do I think I am going to order one now I love the sound of the fuji but not enough to have to wait for 3 months as I am being told. I will get a mrev and that should help juice the bottom end up which some people say they lose with this true dual system. I had no doubt abotu the look or performance...Like I said before I thought i heard a bad sound clip and it appears I did...So now lets get a good drive by clip and the close the deal on this

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My little review for HKS Hi-power exhaust...