Notices
Interior & Exterior Exterior Modifications ; Interior Modifications ; Lighting ; Gauges and More
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Momo Auto Shift Knob Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 07:16 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Momo Auto Shift **** Install

Recently I purchased a Momo Automatic Shift **** for my 2004.5 Coupe. I've spent a good hour on it so far and have pretty much lost my damn mind. I'm about convinced it cannot be installed on 2004.5 model years, but I wanted to get the advice of others who have installed it before I scrap the whole idea.

It seems at though the shaft of the coupe isn't long enough. For those that have removed the stock AT ****, I'm speaking of the thicker, colored portion. From there, a white plastic plunger (I'll call it a plunger for lack of another word, but its the portion that moves up and down when the button is pushed and disengages the locking mechanism) come up from the center and is top off by yet another blue plastic piece. At its normal, disengaged postion, the mounting screws for the Momo **** don't reach the larger portion, but instead the small blue piece on top. If you tighten the **** to this piece, the plunger cannot move up and down and thus the **** remains locked. On the contrary, if you pushed the **** down to the engaged postion and tighten it to the thicker portion, the shifter moves freely and will not lock in place, thus making it impossible to remove your the key from the ignition. ****** if you do, ****** if you don't. As I said I've spent a lot of time on that and have tried many things out without sucess. I don't know if the height of the shifter was changed for my model year (I know the **** was at least) but this thing just isn't working. Anybody out there have this installed and ran into similar problems? How about someone who knows if the shifter's height was indeed changed? Thanks!

Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try removing the plastic piece... It just pulls off...

Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Birdman,

Here's a link that should help out.
https://g35driver.com/forums/interior-exterior/56527-momo-5at-shift-knob-installed-pics.html

RisingSun is correct - take off the shifter blue clip, put on the sliver **** bottom piece on the shifter then put the Momo black rubber piece that best fits on the shifter (cut off the top of the piece so it fits over the shifter), place the black rubber piece on/inside the Momo ****, place the Momo **** on the shifter (not too far down or you won't be able to remove the ignition key), put the screws into the momo **** when in place (tighten but don't over tighten), tighten the silver bottom piece onto the Momo ****.

It worked on my G35C 2004.5 5AT. Good Luck!!!

Last edited by Keith N; 06-20-2005 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:24 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Unfortunately since the part is so, well, universal, MOMO leaves you in the dark as far as installation instructions providing only a set for a round manual ****.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 AM
BirdMan,

Here's a link that helped with my install challenge (look at jazz z1 post a DIY on the Momo AT ****).

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...omo+shift+****

I hope it helps!

Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 AM
Thanks again Keith, I've finally got it mounted and looking good!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Keith N
BirdMan,

Here's a link that helped with my install challenge (look at jazz z1 post a DIY on the Momo AT ****).

http://my350z.com/forum/showthread.p...omo+shift+****

I hope it helps!
The link that guy provided says that the site is down for maintenance. Any help?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread worked and was pretty informative.

http://www.350zfrenzy.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5511]

Old 03-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Help! I just got one of these for my 07 coupe, and I can't figure it out! The leather boot has a square chrome piece attatched to it that can't be removed and the momos bottom is circular. And there's no place for screws.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by chord42
Help! I just got one of these for my 07 coupe, and I can't figure it out! The leather boot has a square chrome piece attatched to it that can't be removed and the momos bottom is circular. And there's no place for screws.
lol, I cant believe u are having trouble installing this.

1st, u take the square chrome piece off by force (may want to use screw driver and pry the inside tabs).

2nd, u have to unscrew the momo bottom (circular part) so that piece can come apart and there u will see the holes for the screws.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:38 PM
no i did unscrew it, but do the screws just press against the column or screw into something. also i need new screw the douche who sold the shift **** to be on here didnt send them

Old 03-14-2009, 08:39 PM
they just press against it. it doesn't screw into the actual shifter.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone, I bought a used G35 auto, and it has a momo shifter. All of a sudden the top circular chrome piece (the button you push to shift) came loose. It's still attached to the shifter, but now it sits above it. So now I have to turn it just right, so that it will sit back into the shift **** and be pressed down to shift. I can't figure out how to secure it back down, could the **** itself be too low for some reason?

Old 04-05-2011, 03:49 AM
Bumping an old thread... but any new links/DIYs regarding this? Link within this thread is dead.

Looking to replace my shift **** in my 2006 G35. Any way to remove the boot or anything like that?

Old 08-22-2012, 04:00 AM
Bumping it, i have a 2004 G35 coupe 5AT. Links are dead anyone have a DIY/links? Could use help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Momo Auto Shift Knob Install