Notices

LED project part 3. GAUGES REVEALED (56k haha)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 90 Likes on 60 Posts
You must have the 5AT, those switches are a little smaller. My switches are from an 04 6MT.
One thing with led's is that they are diodes, meaning one end has to be + and the other -. Unlike an incandescent bulb where they don't care which end is + or -.
So if you connect an led and it doesn't work, switch around the polarity and try again.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem was not the install but the actuall LED's. I purchased some from radioshack originally and switched them out. Of course i tried reversing the polarities and had no result. The LED's in this Diy (https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...-mod-pics.html) are different from the ones i purchased from radio shack and they appear to work fine in the same set up. Just waiting for them to arrive and then ill post the results.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:32 AM
Quick update: I received the bulbs mentioned above and installed them in the seat switches. It was very simple, plug and play. Lights lit up blue and I was all done. Everything went as expected. I also did the Gear indicator lights (5AT) but had some trouble. The Park and Reverse were hot spots. Messed with them for awhile until they were positioned right. Once I got them in the right place the hot spots were not visible. WARNING: When taking apart the seat switches try to open them up on your lap because tiny parts WILL fall out. I had these two pieces fall in between my seat and my center console and it was I bit%$ getting them out. The two pieces are 1. A white moving component and 2. A brass 3 prong spring connector. <--Not accurate names.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sweet

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Nice man looks good !

Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 PM
I just finished part of this and my question is how you got the needles to light up, and get the odometer to come out blue?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
i wired 1 red led per needle and superglued it.

Old 12-20-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by accordfreak
i wired 1 red led per needle and superglued it.
haha thats funny! did you glue it to the prism looking things that refract the light up into the needle or actually glue it as close to the needle behind the gauge face?

Im thinking now that if I drilled a "LED" size hole in the refractors (dont know what else to call them) and glued it in there that maybe it would shoot the led beam all the way up to the needle kind of like a fiber optic cable...

what about the odometer lcd being blue...I reread an old post where u said you have to take the needles off to access the back of it...did you sand that off as well?

thx

Old 12-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
i cut off the arms that reflect the light up to the needles. I super glued it right behind the needle. you need SMDs led rather than regular 5mm 3mm leds to get in that tight space

Old 12-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
accordfreak you're the prodigy! great job sir

Old 12-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by accordfreak
i cut off the arms that reflect the light up to the needles. I super glued it right behind the needle. you need SMDs led rather than regular 5mm 3mm leds to get in that tight space
dont suppose you have pictures of how you did this do you?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by 2one8
dont suppose you have pictures of how you did this do you?
I would assume a dremel, but if your going into the tach youll see.. in retrospect Im thinking that you could get the needles off easier if you had some long neck needle nose pliers grabbing the rod from behind the gauge face and twisting it off then you could remove the faceplate and have that free area opened up...

and then if you have a MT like i do theres and extra light bulb socket thats not used (or used for an AT display) that the smd could be soldered to or wired into one of the socket pieces..

and if your really not electrically handy this would be the easiest option for a smd http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs/ld1-x.htm

I just did a lil write up also more about getting to the tach but hope it helps..
https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...onversion.html

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by djbrandonr
I would assume a dremel, but if your going into the tach youll see.. in retrospect Im thinking that you could get the needles off easier if you had some long neck needle nose pliers grabbing the rod from behind the gauge face and twisting it off then you could remove the faceplate and have that free area opened up...

and then if you have a MT like i do theres and extra light bulb socket thats not used (or used for an AT display) that the smd could be soldered to or wired into one of the socket pieces..

and if your really not electrically handy this would be the easiest option for a smd http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...pecs/ld1-x.htm

I just did a lil write up also more about getting to the tach but hope it helps..
https://g35driver.com/forums/lightin...onversion.html
lol I already have had the gauges apart, I'm talking about pics of how he got the needles to light up. Meaning where he cut the original light relfectors, and how where he attached the LED for the needle itself.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
I know I'm bumping a little bit older thread. But Freak, this thread left me in awe, so much info I'm hard. What?

Either way, definitely doing this sometime soon. I think I'm going to buy a DIY phone charger or something and get some circuit soldering practice in.

Epic.

I think pulling a gauge cluster from a junk G to mess around with the speedo and tach would be a good idea for anyone doing this the first time?

Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I want to hire you!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LED project part 3. GAUGES REVEALED (56k haha)