Notices

check these lights out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LittoDeviL
Actually just until recently, SEMA had some agreement with NHTSA and now as long as the light output is the same as DOT requirements, then alternation or etc to the headlight is fine. As long as the light is as bright as required, and with the required beam pattern then it's legal. So retrofits on headlights are legal as long as it's built to the same standard.

Larry
Not quite. The original law ruling stated that aftermarket lamps using a different light source than stock, even a headlamp that met the standards set by FMVSS 108, were illegal. So properly designed aftermarket HID conversion lamps were banned. With this ruling, any aftermarket lamp that meets the standards of FMVSS 108 is legal. This is a boon for manufacturers such as XeSighting, Hella, etc...

In a Nov. 1, 2005 notice published in the Federal Register, NHTSA agreed with SEMA that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 108 is a performance standard that allows for different types of replacement headlamp systems, lamps and sources so long as the system meets the photometry and functionality requirements of the standard. It had been NHTSA's contention that replacement headlamps must comply with all applicable photometry requirements using the same light source as the original equipment. This interpretation would have prohibited, for example, replacing a halogen-based system with high intensity discharge (HID) headlamps that otherwise meet all requirements of FMVSS 108.
This does not apply to retrofits because they do not fall within the guidelines of FMVSS 108. The ruling is for new / replacement equipment, not modifications of original, unfortunately. So projector retrofits, or replacing halogen bulbs with rebased D2R HIDs are still illegal.

You can request a copy from the NHTSA, or read it here http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm

Old 02-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Talking

I understand what your saying and have read it before. However the rules were changed just recently during the past SEMA show... let me get the link, i ahve to find it xP..

Oh and your right, replacing hid with halogen isn't legal.. but i never said about replacing halogen with a rebased hid kit.. which are hid kits.. hid kits were never legal because they throw out a wacked out pattern anyways.. lol.

But having a oem hid projector still keeps the beam pattern in tact like DOT approved

Larry

Old 02-05-2006, 05:01 AM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
My "MOD" to my headlights was simple and fast. I just took out the bulbs from the clearance strips and the clear corners. I suppose this turned them to just being light reflectors. To me less is more, the lights look clean and simple, just the main projector light without any crummy lights around it.

Old 02-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LittoDeviL
Actually just until recently, SEMA had some agreement with NHTSA and now as long as the light output is the same as DOT requirements, then alternation or etc to the headlight is fine. As long as the light is as bright as required, and with the required beam pattern then it's legal. So retrofits on headlights are legal as long as it's built to the same standard.

Larry
It has nothing to do with brightness, its a matter of engineering. The word "retrofit" can be used very easily. Examples:

- We all know of rebased HID capsules and modified ballasts being sold as "retrofit kits" for h4, h3, etc.. those kits have been outlawed for sale and vendors selling such products are jeapordize being fined heavily.l
- Taking projectors from one car, or headlamp internals, and tossing them into another lamp -- illegal.

A lot of the modifications people perform simply cannot be "eyeballed," they require engineering skills. This is why all of the above are not acceptable.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:12 PM
HELLDORADO: Post pics of your tail lights once you get them installed....the $2000+ price tag maybe worth it....

Old 02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned
sh*t, i'd rather spend 5k on lighting mods then a body kit anyday, but then again i'd also rather spend 5k on a turbo kit before the lights.