NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Infinity of Syracuse, NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2003 | 08:38 PM
|
Infinity of Syracuse, NY

Just curious about anyone's experiences with this dealer on either 6MT coupe or sedan.

My call to verify a particular VIN# in stock resulted in a curt "full sticker" from the mgr less than a minute into the conversation. His bad, I was fully prepared to buy (cash) before hanging up the phone, had I only received a little common courtesy and, at the very least, a token discount to justify the trip out of town and avoid having to drive away with the dreaded "sucka!" sticker on the trunk lid.

End

Old 05-03-2003 | 07:21 PM
Re: Infinity of Syracuse, NY

I tried to buy my coupe at Infiniti of Syracuse but was offered a bad deal by a poor salesman. They called back and said that he is no longer there but I had already made a deal in Albany. If you want to look at Infiniti of Latham (Albany area)ask for Mohammad. He is very courteous! However, I still paid MSRP.

G35C, 5A, black/graphite, premium, 2.6K since 3/1/03

Old 05-04-2003 | 11:15 AM

To UpstateNY,
I am sorry that you were offered a raw deal on your coupe at our store. Unfortunately as you now know, its hard for us salesmen to sell the coupes for anything less than MSRP. Sometimes I wish I could at least give up a few bucks just to make the deal, but there are so few coupes for us to sell that the management wont allow us to move from the sticker price. Currently I am down to 6 left available for sale until the 04's come out in October, and we may get a few more to order this Tuesday (I hope so) and then thats it . Anyway I hope you are enjoying your new ride and all is well.

To DHolly,
I hope that we can earn your business as well, I still have the black on black 6MT if you are interested, and then I have one more 6MT coming in July, then unfortunately they are gone for us (Unless we get to order one on Tuesday that is).

Old 05-06-2003 | 03:55 PM
|

SP -

Too late now. I have since found just the 6MT and sales attitude I wanted at another dealer...which I bought for well less than MSRP.

BTW...you know if a dealer were to knock something, anything, maybe even just $100 off of six cars, the dealership would not go under, could earn six new customers (maybe with repeat business potential) and have a whole lot less negativity to overcome.

The "Squeeze 'em for every penny" mentality, regardless of allotment, just seems shortsighted to me. I simply won't do business that way. Must be somewhat frustrating for the sales folks as well.

Old 05-07-2003 | 05:40 AM

dholly, if you dont mind i'm aweful curious which dealer would sell you a 6mt coupe for well less than msrp, i myself am looking for one and while i wouldnt be paying cash for it i could still use a great deal on one.

When i contacted my local dealer about a coupe they told me that coupes do usually go for sticker, and from what i've read in the forums here that seems to be the consensus. while i appreciate your desire not to get the "sucker" sticker labeled on your deal it was rather rude of you to say that; in essence implying that everyone who hasnt gotten the at least token discount is a sucker, which as it happens is about 80% of the forum and other people i've talked to.
it also sounded quite funny to me that you said the dealership should knock at least $100 off in order to earn new business, i really dont think that many people looking to buy a $37,000 sports car are going to need that extra c-note, but of course i could be wrong

I hope you enjoy your car i know i'm looking forward to mine. YAY!

Old 05-07-2003 | 02:48 PM
|
Re: Infiniti of Syracuse, NY

Rude? Oh, c’mon, get real. I have never paid full MSRP for any new vehicle ever, and saying I ***personally*** would feel like a sucker if I did, is no dig to those 80% who don't share this philosophy. If someone chooses to pay full retail or higher for ANY product, it is his or her business and I could care less. Conversely, what products I am willing to pay up for, you may not. Nobody needs to justify what he or she paid to me or vice versa. To each his own. Regardless of what YOU paid for your 6MTc, hell, you bought it, obviously for what it was worth to you - so go ENJOY it! Whether MSRP can be considered a bargain is entirely subjective. Don’t rip on me for not jumping all over MSRP.

Likewise, where I choose to take my auto buying business will always be dependent upon attitude. You might, but I refuse to do business at dealers with arrogant, ambivalent, discourteous, ignorant or uneducated sales and/or service personnel, regardless of price. Even when demand outpaces supply for such a commodity as a car, I believe that a token discount IS one good way a dealer can "earn" my business. Why? Obviously not because they have to, but it could make very good economic sense for them to do so. I am close enough to use them for my service requirements and visit them first when I purchase another auto.

To my simple thinking, when a qualified buyer that shows up on the doorstep of any commission business with cash in hand, it is the equivalent to pennies from heaven. But one who keeps coming back is dollars from heaven. Sometimes a token discount may be all it takes to gain that quality long-term business rather than the quick one-time sale. This small gesture is a relatively painless way for a dealer to demonstrate that the transaction is about more than just commodity pricing. Hell, if you put the shoe on the other foot and try to buy a car at invoice or less - just hear them holler foul. They are the first to say it is about more than pricing, its about service and long-term relationship too. By choosing not to even offer, a dealer leaves me wondering just what effort they are willing to put into such a long-term relationship.

Old 05-07-2003 | 05:25 PM

Attitude definatly makes all the difference, a simple quote "diplomacy; the art of telling someone to go to hell and having them leave with a big smile on thier face."

As far as the discount goes, its pretty simple, you feel that you're entitled to one, the salesman and apparently most of the new coupe buyers simply dont feel the same way. You are absolutely right about a simple gesture earning the future business and cementing a solid relationship. Honestly i think i'd appreciate a simple gift package more than a token discount, a bmw dealership in florida that my grandmother recently purchased a vehicle from sent her a coffee cup and a keychain a week or so after she purchased her vehicle. While she does enjoy the car she purchased she was thrilled to death over that small unexpected gift, which i'm sure cost the dealership no more than $20, point being though, that $20 has probably earned them her lifetime service and parts business.

So yes a token gesture either up front or after the fact is vital i feel, i dont feel however that something like that should be expected. Not only does it ruin the suprise and or devalue it, constantly looking for more in things will never allow you to find contentment.

heh, too much time training leads to mindless drivel

Old 05-08-2003 | 12:35 PM
|

Hey Balance - I never said I felt entitled to a discount, only that the dealers I have purchased from in the past have been more than willing to offer one. Like the vast majority of consumers, I simply want the best price or service available when I'm writing the check. I don't think most folks find this unreasonable or odd behavior. Hell, EVERYBODY loves a sale, and some of us even search them out!

However, I must confess that I have come to expect that "something extra" from the companies I do business with. In fact, I deliberately seek this out. You see, my experience tells me that a company willing to go the extra mile for its customers almost always provides a satisfactory buying experience with very few negative surprises. These are not hard to find as many companies constantly strive to elevate themselves above the crowd. In the case of a product sales oriented company trying to differentiate itself from the competition selling the same product, it usually boils down to price. Assuming all other aspects of the sale (delivery cost, time, return policy etc.) are equal, a company really has little alternative than to do so by reducing prices. And, all things equal, its no secret the vast majority of consumers elect to do business with that lowest priced provider.

A service provider will alway have a tougher time differentiating itself and sometimes that "something extra" boils down to little more than a simple gift, gesture, word, action or attitude. Maybe using dollars is a poor example of "something extra", but is there anything more precious at the immediate moment to a dealer trying to secure a sale? In a situation where a car dealer has the good fortune to be on the profitable side of any supply and demand imbalance such as this, I can think of nothing better to drive the point home. Sorry, I don't need another key chain or coffee mug.

Anyway, don't lose sight of the fact I said attitude is more important than price to me. Believe me, I know what coupes have been going for and have no false expectations. But if that dealer had at least started the conversation with a pleasant "How can I earn your business?" rather than so forwardly implying "Ha, ha, I got your b@lls in a vise!", maybe a civil conversation could have ensued - even to the point where they simply MUST get MSRP which, of course, is their perogitive. Under the current circumstances, any discount is icing on the cake. But, at the very least (and particularly on big ticket items), I expect pleasant, professional courtesy rather than a curt, your wasting my time attitude. That IS shortsighted and, sadly, consumer acceptance of such mediocrity is way to pervasive IMHO.

My favorite Forrest Gumpism: "And that's all I got to say about that".