Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

PD on Highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PD on Highway

a question for those who are more knowledged in jurisdiction and law.

my brother got pulled over by a folsom pd for doing speeding on US50. I believe he was outside of folsom city limits as well. i'm not sure about all the law around jursidiction, but i thought they were only allowed to enforce in their city and city streets. i believed they had not jurisdiction on state or us highways?

so how can he fight this ticket? do you think the cop will show up at the courthouse in sacramento?

thanks.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Never gone
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
The officer will definitely show up in court if the ticket is contested. I believe officers get paid time off to appear in court, regardless if the court hearing is on work day or day off. So the chances of him not showing are slim to none. As for the whole jurisdiction thing, it's long, and somewhat complicated, but in a nut shell, the officer was legit & within his jurisdiction. If I'm wrong, I'm sure g35chippie will correct me.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My father has alot of friends high up in the SFPD. They tell me that they can cite anyone within California, highway included. One of them has cited many on 80E even though his area is SF.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
your toast

Hey,
I am sure chippie will jump in on this ... my two cents.. Yes he can ticket you as a law enforcment officer he can ticket you within the state of california. MOST city police will not bother you if you are resonable on your offence.. say go by him at 70mph on the freeway. But if you blow by him at 90... he will nail you. I dont think someone like bart police or say a college police can do anything on city streets...

Old 09-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dudeimjohn

my brother got pulled over by a folsom pd for doing speeding on US50. I believe he was outside of folsom city limits as well. i'm not sure about all the law around jursidiction, but i thought they were only allowed to enforce in their city and city streets. i believed they had not jurisdiction on state or us highways?

so how can he fight this ticket? do you think the cop will show up at the courthouse in sacramento?

thanks.
How fast was he going? my guess is that he was going way too fast for the conditions of road he was traveled on, I doubt any local PD would go out of his/her way to give him a ticket for going just 5~10 miles over the limit on the Highway. Eventho there is jursidiction lines, but if any peace officer sees anyone driving in an unsafe matter, I would've think and hope he/she would act upon it.

This what g35chippe have to said about jursidictions...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=15

Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Originally Posted by rwcblkcoupe
I dont think someone like bart police or say a college police can do anything on city streets...
I have seen a bart police pull someone over in Daly City for rolling a stop sign. I always see Community College (CCSF) police pull people over for normal stuff. They usually hang out within a mile of campus though.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:57 PM
battle froggy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by limeg35
How fast was he going? my guess is that he was going way too fast for the conditions of road he was traveled on, I doubt any local PD would go out of his/her way to give him a ticket for going just 5~10 miles over the limit on the Highway. Eventho there is jursidiction lines, but if any peace officer sees anyone driving in an unsafe matter, I would've think and hope he/she would act upon it.

This what g35chippe have to said about jursidictions...

https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=15

what he said

Old 09-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Big Rob
The officer will definitely show up in court if the ticket is contested. I believe officers get paid time off to appear in court, regardless if the court hearing is on work day or day off. So the chances of him not showing are slim to none. As for the whole jurisdiction thing, it's long, and somewhat complicated, but in a nut shell, the officer was legit & within his jurisdiction. If I'm wrong, I'm sure g35chippie will correct me.
Big Rob, there is only one thing I need to correct you on. The only time we get paid overtime to show up to court is when it is outside my regular shift time. Let's say I work from 530am to 200pm. My court time is at 3pm. I get overtime from 2pm to whenever I get back to the office. If court is at 9am, then its just part of my day, nothing changes. If it's on my day off, 4 hours of OT for about 10 min of work.

All of you are right on with your info. Folsom PD can make an arrest and write tickets anywhere in the great state of California. Man, you guys are sharp! I can't believe you all paid attention to the crap I type here. You make me so proud. Now if I could just get you all to put your front license plate on.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 PM
battle froggy
Originally Posted by g35 chippie
Big Rob, there is only one thing I need to correct you on. The only time we get paid overtime to show up to court is when it is outside my regular shift time. Let's say I work from 530am to 200pm. My court time is at 3pm. I get overtime from 2pm to whenever I get back to the office. If court is at 9am, then its just part of my day, nothing changes. If it's on my day off, 4 hours of OT for about 10 min of work.

All of you are right on with your info. Folsom PD can make an arrest and write tickets anywhere in the great state of California. Man, you guys are sharp! I can't believe you all paid attention to the crap I type here. You make me so proud. Now if I could just get you all to put your front license plate on.

sorry that isnt happening hahhahah and my front tint isnt coming off either

Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by kris79
sorry that isnt happening hahhahah and my front tint isnt coming off either
+1...lol

Old 09-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator
Now if I could just get you all to put your front license plate on.
LOL . . . Dare to dream, g35 chippie.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:58 PM
battle froggy
Originally Posted by andy2434
LOL . . . Dare to dream, g35 chippie.

when i do get pulled over though i turn off the car , turn on my interior light , roll down the windows and keep one hand out the window and the other on the wheel so guess must make you guys more comfortable since i was able to get out of all my tickets so far

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by dudeimjohn

thanks.

Tell your bro once he gets a court date to fight the ticket, call and cancel say you can't go so you need another court date, keep on doing this until you can't it may throw off the officer and he might not show up. Its worth a shot. Chance are he wil def. show up on the first court date. GL tho.

Old 09-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Lol

LOL Chippie,
I wish i had time to take a pic .... You have converted one although not permanently mounted... mine has not come off since the last big meet.. And ...side tint... what side tint??? I dont see no side tint officer??
Thanks for all your info chippie... oh by the way is there any way you can post all the names and pictures of the CHP on the Peninsula? ..that way i can remember there names and pretend that i know them when they stop me? No?? oh well worth asking...

Old 09-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Wherever a BART line runs the BART police can do normal police work. They patrol down town Oakland to help out the OPD and make arrests and issue tickets all the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PD on Highway