NorthWest Serving AK, ID, OR, WA

Trip to Seattle...can you help me?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Trip to Seattle...can you help me?

Hey guys,
I'm going to be in Seattle next week from Aug4-6. Can you locals help me w/ some things?
  • What are some good restaurants in the downtown & University areas?
  • What is parking like for Mariners games? I'll have a rental car but should I park there (how much $?) or take public transportation from downtown?
  • What are some good hiking spots in the area, within about a 45 min drive?
  • I'm going to be driving down from Vancouver, BC and my GF wants to do a ferry thru Victoria but I think it's too long. What do you think?
  • I'd like to do some wine tasting while up there, where should I go?

Thanks a bunch guys! I'm looking forward to this trip!! It all starts off w/ a bachelor party in Portland this weekend, then I'm driving to Seattle and Vancouver.

Last edited by P_Diddy; 07-26-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:21 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by P_Diddy
Hey guys,
I'm going to be in Seattle next week from Aug4-6. Can you locals help me w/ some things?
Sure[LIST]
[*]What are some good restaurants in the downtown & University areas?
Depends on what you like. If you like seafood at all, try ours. Anthony's on Seattle's pier is good. Nice good view of the sound too.

[*]What is parking like for Mariners games? I'll have a rental car but should I park there (how much $?) or take public transportation from downtown?
If you are staying downtown, just walk or take a bus. Alot less hassle

[*]What are some good hiking spots in the area, within about a 45 min drive?
Tiger mountain is good East on I-90. 30 min from Seattle? Or maybe Snowqualmie Pass. About 45 min East on I-90.
[*]I'm going to be driving down from Vancouver, BC and my GF wants to do a ferry thru Victoria but I think it's too long. What do you think?
Victoria is nice. The ferry ride is about 3 hours. Buchard gardens is a nice tour up there also. Very quaint type of place. But you will be devoting one whole day to this. Not sure if you want to do this if you only have a few days. If you can spend the $, try taking a seaplane up there. WAY faster.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Jeff, thanks for your reply! Anthony's looks good. I will definitely be eating a lot of seafood while up there

I also added a question on wine tasting. Any recommendations of wineries to visit? Are they close to Seattle or further east?

Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I highly recommend OceanAire at 7th and Pike, excellent seafood restaurant, little spendy though but since you're screen name is P Diddy you must be a big baller and money is not a concern

Old 07-26-2006, 03:38 PM
Red Card Crew

There is wine tasting East of Seattle. Not sure how it could compare to Napa Valley though.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:03 PM
workin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
# What are some good restaurants in the downtown & University areas?

Campagne's is great for french food. They are in Pike Place Market. Wild Ginger for asian fusion, Daniel's Broiler for steak/seafood. Ototo for sushi on Queen Anne.

# What is parking like for Mariners games? I'll have a rental car but should I park there (how much $?) or take public transportation from downtown?

plenty of parking downtown if you're willing to pay. don't worry about it.

# What are some good hiking spots in the area, within about a 45 min drive?

Snoqualmie Falls in Issaquah, Greenlake in Seattle, lots of places....

# I'm going to be driving down from Vancouver, BC and my GF wants to do a ferry thru Victoria but I think it's too long. What do you think?

Go to Victoria. It is stunning in the summertime... so many flowers in bloom. Definitely worth the trip, just bring your passports so you can get back across the border.

# I'd like to do some wine tasting while up there, where should I go?

I haven't done much wine tasting in WA, mostly in cali, but if you drive down to the columbia river valley (about 2.5 hours) you'll be in wine country. There are also some vineyards on Whidbey Island that I did get to try out over the holidays. There was some pretty unique stuff out there.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Some general ideas. http://www.enjoyseattle.com/

Mariners game might not be a bad idea. The facility is top notch. Unfortunately the mariners are barely a 500 team though. ugh

Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Sure[LIST]
Depends on what you like. If you like seafood at all, try ours. Anthony's on Seattle's pier is good. Nice good view of the sound too.

If you are staying downtown, just walk or take a bus. Alot less hassle

Tiger mountain is good East on I-90. 30 min from Seattle? Or maybe Snowqualmie Pass. About 45 min East on I-90.

Victoria is nice. The ferry ride is about 3 hours. Buchard gardens is a nice tour up there also. Very quaint type of place. But you will be devoting one whole day to this. Not sure if you want to do this if you only have a few days. If you can spend the $, try taking a seaplane up there. WAY faster.
^ Victioria is a very nice place. Just came from there 3 weeks ago. Took a ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria with our car onboard, was about a 2.5 hour ride. Butchart Gardens is worth going to, they had the best fireworks show i've ever seen... (only on the weekends)

Old 07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Places to eat:
Union - Good selection of wine and earthy foods like fried quail. Excellent seafood.
Teatro Zimzanni - Dinner and a theatre, great experience. Rotating menu.
Tula's - restuarant and bar, live jazz music.
Chez Shea - French Food. Kinda of romantic atmosphere.
La Fountina - Italian Food in an outside courtyard.
Wasabi Bistro - Japanese food, really good happy hour. Live music at night.

That's just a couple ideas.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by absolutg
Campagne's is great for french food. They are in Pike Place Market.
I love Cafe Campagne. More French country (as opposed to cuisine), slightly cheaper than the restuarant, same kitchen. But both are awesome.

Old 07-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Red Card Crew

If one is in the area of Wasabi Bistro, IMHO recommend Saito's across the street. Much better Japanese IMHO.

Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll second Daniel's Broiler for a steakhouse. If you like seafood, my wife loves the Crab Pot. If you like americanized asian fusion, Wild Ginger is good, otherwise not really. It's like PF Changs. You won't see very many asians in there.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:35 PM
The Crab Pot sounds like places I've been to in Maryland - cracking open crabs while wearing a bib. It sure is messy but it's fun! I may have to try it out while I'm up there.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM
The Crab Pot sounds like places I've been to in Maryland - cracking open crabs while wearing a bib. It sure is messy but it's fun! I may have to try it out while I'm up there.
If you go there, get the Alaskan. It's the same as their signature one, but adds 1/2 pound of king crabs or something like that to each order. (So if you go as a couple, that's an extra full pound of king crab legs)

Old 07-26-2006, 08:54 PM
It all starts off w/ a bachelor party in Portland this weekend, then I'm driving to Seattle and Vancouver.
Starts off with a bachelor party in oregon? Maybe us peeps in Oregon can finally get together for a meet than Oh wait, you said you'll be in a rental car? (Hertz rents G35 Sedans )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trip to Seattle...can you help me?