NorthWest Serving AK, ID, OR, WA

SEATTLE/TACOMA/RENTON area - what's it like?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SEATTLE/TACOMA/RENTON area - what's it like?

I'm considering a career change. I'm currently a calibration technician with the MS Army National Guard (federal Civil Service). I've put in a couple of applications with the FAA to be an air traffic controller. The locations are Seattle, Sea-Tac, or Auburn. I'm also considering putting in a app for a different FAA job that is located in Renton.

I've looked on various websites about the stats and demographics of the areas, but I'd like some first-hand perspective of what it's like to live in that area. Some things I'd like to know:

- cost of living/housing market in general
- recreational activities - my wife and I are not outdoorsy types, so fishing/hunting is not our bag. She likes cultural type stuff, I love to downhill ski and, of course, I dig a good car enthusiast scene.
- attitude of the people in general - friendly, snobbish, open-minded, etc.
- traffic
- does it really stay cloudy most of the time? I find that to be kind of depressing.
- any unusual growth or decline of the population, businesses, etc.

Any other tidbits of info you could pass on to me would be great.

Thanks!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regarding cost of living...

Info from Salary.com Assuming a salary of $35,000 and assuming you're coming from Jackson, MS

The cost of living in Seattle, WA is 43.5% higher than in Jackson, MS. Therefore, you would have to earn a salary of $50,232 to maintain your current standard of living

Employers in Seattle, WA typically pay 27.1% more than employers in Jackson, MS. Therefore, if you take the same type of job in the same type of company in Seattle, WA you are likely to earn $44,474.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dTor
I'm considering a career change. I'm currently a calibration technician with the MS Army National Guard (federal Civil Service). I've put in a couple of applications with the FAA to be an air traffic controller. The locations are Seattle, Sea-Tac, or Auburn. I'm also considering putting in a app for a different FAA job that is located in Renton.

I've looked on various websites about the stats and demographics of the areas, but I'd like some first-hand perspective of what it's like to live in that area. Some things I'd like to know:

- cost of living/housing market in general
- recreational activities - my wife and I are not outdoorsy types, so fishing/hunting is not our bag. She likes cultural type stuff, I love to downhill ski and, of course, I dig a good car enthusiast scene.
- attitude of the people in general - friendly, snobbish, open-minded, etc.
- traffic
- does it really stay cloudy most of the time? I find that to be kind of depressing.
- any unusual growth or decline of the population, businesses, etc.

Any other tidbits of info you could pass on to me would be great.

Thanks!
- Cost of living IN Seattle is very high. Surrounding areas is alright.
- Recreational Activities - Plenty of Skiing/Snowboarding in this area, just to name a few Mt. Baker, Crystal Mountain, Snoqualmie Pass, Stevens Pass & Whistler is near by as well.
-People - I'd say they're a mix of all those things, you'll find all kinds of people around here
- Traffic is HORRIBLE on the 405, 520, I-5 & I-90 (all major highways/freeways) in the morning and evening commute. Also randomly on weekends its very bad too.
- No unusual growth or decline in pop/business.
- Weather - well, the weather is definately *mild* most of the time. Its rainy/cloudy a lot, but summer's are usually very nice.

Overall, I love Seattle and the surrounding areas.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the salary.com info shinobi. I am currently about 70 miles south of Jackson and make about $46k/year. The job (not ATC, the other one) has a salary range of $66k-$103/yr, so I will beat the 25% higher pay to keep my current standard of living.

That's the one thing that has kept me here this long - my relatively "high" pay relative to the cost of living here. I know the house I live in here that I paid about $85k for 3 years ago would easily sell for $150k-$250k in any other "average" part of the nation, given similar circumstances (located in a small city, close to everything, nice neighborhood, city utilities, etc).

My wife and I have been so stircrazy living here that it's just time for us to get the heck out of this region. There's nothing for us to do besides go to a movie (we mostly rent anyway) and complain about having nothing to do. I'm in my late 20s (she's early 30s), we don't have kids, and really have no reason to stay here anymore.

Ok, I'm done ranting now.

BTW, how is crime up there? How are the police? Is it a gustapo like California, or are they more down to earth? How are the local & state governments? Liberal, conservative?

Old 07-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Washington is a very liberal state

Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I say take a trip and check out everything before you decide.. I moved here 5 years ago From Michigan and at first I wasn't so sure but Now I can surely say I love it here.. people are way nicer in general.. alot more diverse.. it does cost more to live but there is also alot more apportunities out here to make more money... and on top of that the summer here is the best..

Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Make a trip out here and check things out. This is a big City with unlimited possibilities. You've got a great career and Seattle has a market for it. I moved here when I was 25 with my clothes and my car because I was certain the market was better - for my industry choice, and thank God I did it! I've even pursuaded my friends to move. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
dTor. This area is very nice. The more I travel for business, the more I appreciate this area. If you are going to work for the airport, then I'd try to stay relatively south. When I mean "south", I mean south of Seattle and Bellevue. One reason is traffic. The other is these two areas have the highest housing pricing on ave. As you go south (and north) of these areas, the housing prices go down. I live in Newcastle (ie.. the most northern part of Renton that butts up against the very southern part of Bellevue). I think Renton might be a good choice. It's close to most stuff (Airport and Bellevue/Seattle) and Renton is getting a brand new mall very soon.
A rambler (3 bdrm) in Renton should cost maybe $300-$400k depending on where you look. Kent/Auburn will reduce that cost by about $30-$40k.

I'd grab a map and take a look of the area and scope out what's near where you will work. Then maybe hop on John L Scott's website and see what costs what

But nothing will beat actually coming up here and taking a look. The view of Mt Rainer is great this time of year.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright, here's my 253 perspective... Down in the Tacoma/Fed Way/Auburn/Puyallup Area, its a bit different than the seattle/renton/bellevue area. Down here cost of living is cheaper IMO. You actually get more bang for your buck! You'll see many ramblers and split levels built around the the 70's. Good thing about that is you get yard! You can say this area is a bit more homely and suburbanish, and seattle area is more commercial and hipper to the younger crowds. The cultural diversity here in Washington is like a bag of mixed nuts. When I first thought of moving up here I thought I was going to be surrounded by Trees and Blue Eyes. but I was wrong. Since there's military bases here, you tend to see many ethnic backgrounds anywhere you go. The people are not uptight and are pretty friendly. As far as things to do, there's probably alot of things to do. I tend to do the snowboard thing in the winter, and the jetski/riverrafting/rivertubing/camping thing in the warmer seasons. It does rain alot, that part sucks. but the summers are awesome...
As far as the crime goes.... Crime is everywhere in this world. no runnin from it, and cops are cops... some are dicks and some are not... OHHH one thing weird though... we have state sanctioned liquor stores... you can only buy hard alcohol till 9 mon-sat. and sundays they're open till like 6 or 7. you can still buy beer and wine at grocery stores, but they stop selling that at 2. most places close around that time, unlike cali where you can still be out till 4. thats all i got. if i think of more, i'll ramble again

Old 07-03-2007, 05:06 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I'm going to respond on traffic only cuz on everything else is pretty much your own choice. If you want you can find a cheap place, if you want you will find a good job (Bill Gates did) if you want you will find crap load of fun activities to do around here. Pretty much all you looking for is here. It's up to you to pick and choose.

TRAFFIC on the other hand is something you cannot control. This **** around here is fvcking GAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Ppl in this state cant driver for ****.
When I use to work in seattle and live in tacoma I drove in traffic every day. and I could do it with my eyes closed. Everybody is so freaking predictable and they are not willing to change a lane to speed **** up. I knew in what area of the freeway which lane will be open and which will not.

The location of this area is kind of a blame. We are located on the PUGET SOUND so there is no room to build any loops or circles. All we got is vertical and horizontal. So expect to drive in traffic pretty much all the time (seattle-renton) area.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:28 AM
probably the biggest thing you'll notice is the diversity here. people of all races, religions, cultures, etc reside here.

yeah its cloudy alot but summer in seattle is the best. not too hot, not cold, just right.

i think seattle was ranked as one of the most polite city in america recently.

i dont find traffic to be HORRIBLE, though it can get pretty bad. i'd say from 7-10am and 3-7pm are the worse times. though i do agree that people in WA cant drive for ****. been almost ran off the highway a few times because people dont check their blindspots.

lots of places to ski. lots of cultural stuff going on.

population continues to grow because theres a lot of jobs available. a lot of californians move up here. also notice a lot of people from colorado

housing is pretty expensive, depending on the area. i bought my townhouse (built in '84) 2 yrs ago for $230k and i could sell it now for $330k.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 PM
Guys, I appreciate all of the responses.

The job I'm gunning for in Renton is making me look south of Renton, in the Kent-Auburn-Sumner-Puyallup-South Hill-Enumclaw area.

I'm just now starting to do some housing research in these areas, but are there some that you could tell me to stay clear of (ghetto, etc) or are favorable (low relative housing cost, nice area)?

Just for clarification, I probably won't be purchasing a house immediately - we'll probably rent one for a few months until we get situated with the area and financially.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:44 PM
Banned
Well... Auburn and Kent would have the most saturation of "ghetto" But all these areas you named are pretty good. I live in the Sumner/Puyallup area and it's pretty suburban/country (mostly white people). The only thing that sucks is the traffic... but if your commuting to renton/tukwilla. the train is no problem. Enumclaw is where im looking into next. I want a nice piece of land, I want to be able to build stuff!

Old 07-13-2007, 09:55 PM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Received 102 Likes on 45 Posts
I've lived in Seattle/Tukwila (near renton) for about 4 years and people are friendly, open minded, and not snobbish.

The only thing for me is all the rain and overcast weather it gets during a majority part of the year. Don't get me wrong, it's nice during summer, but other than that, according to records:

"Seattle averages 158 days of measurable rain and 226 days of some cloud cover per year."

I'm currently living in LA and just love the weather down here. Yeah, the air is cleaner up there and drivers up there are kinda clueless (same with crazy LA drivers.)

My parents & sister still live up in Federal Way and I visit once in a while.... but all that rain gets me depressed. You won't even wanna wash your car cuz it'll rain again...

Housing up there is waaaay less than in LA. I just visited there a couple weeks ago and saw a 2 bd condo for only $172,000. Where here in Manhattan Beach, I just purchased a 2 bedroom condo (much bigger ofcourse) for $620,000. It depends on where you buy.

Again, if you love it up there... it's all good. I'm not trying to make a Seattle vs. LA thread. I pretty much have to live down here cuz of the industry that I'm in.

I just love the sun and so does my G35!

Good luck!

Last edited by speedraver; 07-13-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Banned
my townhouse 280k. 1800 sq ft. 3 bed, 2 1/2 bath, 2 car garage, 2 story......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SEATTLE/TACOMA/RENTON area - what's it like?