NorthWest Serving AK, ID, OR, WA

Got my windows tinted

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my windows tinted

I called Beaverton Infiniti and had them recommend the shop that does all the tinting for them. It turned out to be Alexia on Canyon. Despite the warnings from al503 about Alexia, I decided to go with them. I called them up around 9 on a Tuesday. They said I could bring it right in. I went with the legal max in OR, a wimpy 37% in the top film they offer. It was $265. Pretty high. In retrospect, I probably could have talked them down a bit. Anyway, I had it into them by 10AM and they called me at 12:30 to say it was done. With this particular film, there's a long "curing" process. So, I couldn't roll my windows down for 4 days and I'm not supposed to wash them for a full 30 days. At first, I was pretty disappointed - the tint was still wet and had a mottled look. Plus, the matrix of dots around the edge of the rear window prevent the tint from adhering to the glass at the edges. So, when I went to pick it up, it looked pretty crappy. However, within 2 days everything seemed to come together. The tint didn't actually bond around the dot matrix, but it did take on a uniform look. The tint also dried and lost its mottled appearance. Now it looks very nice and very pro. The windows come with a lifetime warranty which is transferrable with the car. I'd recommend Alexia, but would add that they are a little spendy.

-townsley-
2003 Brilliant Silver Premium Sedan

Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 AM
Re: Got my windows tinted

I paid $230 for mine and I got air bubbles on the two front windows, looks like I'll head back to get it redone. I got 20% all around.

2003.5 Brill. Silver/Willow 6MT sedan, Premium/Winter/Navigation

Old 07-23-2003, 12:56 PM

Townsley,
I paid $240 at Alexia. I'm glad that you had a much better experience than I did. Perhaps they've changed their installers from last year.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by al503 on 07/23/03 10:00 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-23-2003, 01:00 PM

Son,
I'm guessing that you had your's done at Alexia's also. Make sure that they do the right windows. The first time I took it back, they re-did the wrong windows. Also, look for magic marker marks around the edges. When they re-did the front passenger window, I noticed that it was much darker right by the tweeter. They cut the tint to short in that area previously and they filled in the space with a magic marker.

Old 01-01-2004, 05:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting others have had bad experiences. I have had 3 cars tinted at Alexia's in the past 3 years, and have been extremely satisfied. For Oregon cars, I thought 35% was the limit? I had them do the minimum for Washington State, which was 32%.

Old 01-01-2004, 07:18 PM

35% is limit. Alexia had either 32 or 37. I just had another experience with Alexia after my G was hit in a parking lot. I took it back to them so that I could get the same exact tint for the passenger side window. They screwed it up again. Dirt bubbles and creases again. I took it back and they said that it would go away after a few days. I insisted that the dirt under the tint is not going to magically disappear and they agreed to redo them. The second try was much better. Just a couple of creases this time. I'm just gonna call it good because I'm not sure another redo would be any better.

If you are looking for a different place in PDX, try Tommy's tint in NE Portland. Very professional and they did the job right the first time.

Old 01-02-2004, 01:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What brand of Tint did Tommy's use? Was it Solar Gaurd? Just curious. Do they offer lifetime warranty as well? Personally I would not tolerate any creases in the tint, that makes it look amateur. When was the last time you were there? I just tinted the wifes car there last March, and all 5 windows looked good. Maybe they hired bum installers since than :/

What day did you have your car tinted? The three times I've gotten my cars tinted there, I've always had saturday appointments. Maybe their weekend guys are better.

Old 01-02-2004, 11:58 AM

To answer your questions:
1. Tommy's uses solar guard also.
2. Yes they do.
3. I was there a couple of weeks ago. They had the same guys that were there a year ago when I first got it done.
4. I talked with the owner at Tommy's and he said that Alexia runs a 'school' out of her shop where people pay to be trained in installing tint. Out of my 6 visits there (4 times for the first application and 2 visits for this last time) I've had the guys who have been there for a while do the work. I've taken it in a couple of times on the Saturday and it was no better.