Ohio representation?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 01:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some news for you alls.

My car is in the shop getting the transmission replaced. It was making a whistling/droning noise when really cold (below freezing or just above) until the car warmed up. It had been doing this all winter to a lesser degree. Basically sounded like a window seal was loose, but it got a bit louder the colder got outside. It sounded like the whine your transmission makes in reverse (not exactly the same, but best comparison). The sound would be there until the car got to temperature fading from the whine to the whistle and then normal and only doing so if the car was absolutely cold, like sitting overnight.

I took it in once, but the car was warm and it wouldn't make the sound, so I left it with the techs over the weekend so they could start it up each morning to hear the noise. They isolated the noise to the transmission using chassis ears upon Infiniti's recommendation. Infiniti told them to give me a new transmission. So now I'm waiting for that.

Don't know if any of you have had this issue or anything similar before but keep your ears out on those cold mornings. There is a running thread here about people with the same problem, I joined into the thread later with my updates.

People have been getting all sorts of stuff done but it seems to not help much, so I'm a bit skeptical if it will actually fix the issue, but we'll see. As long as there are no other outward symptoms other than some noise on cold mornings, it should be tolerable although annoying. Will keep you guys updated. At least I get a new tranny out of it...

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey whats up guys, just came across this thread so i thought i would say hello...

My names Joe and im from the Cincy area...PM when the meets start happening ill be there

Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stradaONE8
Some news for you alls.

My car is in the shop getting the transmission replaced. It was making a whistling/droning noise when really cold (below freezing or just above) until the car warmed up. It had been doing this all winter to a lesser degree. Basically sounded like a window seal was loose, but it got a bit louder the colder got outside. It sounded like the whine your transmission makes in reverse (not exactly the same, but best comparison). The sound would be there until the car got to temperature fading from the whine to the whistle and then normal and only doing so if the car was absolutely cold, like sitting overnight.

I took it in once, but the car was warm and it wouldn't make the sound, so I left it with the techs over the weekend so they could start it up each morning to hear the noise. They isolated the noise to the transmission using chassis ears upon Infiniti's recommendation. Infiniti told them to give me a new transmission. So now I'm waiting for that.

Don't know if any of you have had this issue or anything similar before but keep your ears out on those cold mornings. There is a running thread here about people with the same problem, I joined into the thread later with my updates.

People have been getting all sorts of stuff done but it seems to not help much, so I'm a bit skeptical if it will actually fix the issue, but we'll see. As long as there are no other outward symptoms other than some noise on cold mornings, it should be tolerable although annoying. Will keep you guys updated. At least I get a new tranny out of it...

ya kno, my car's been making those kinds of noises too when the car is cold and its really cold outside. I had never heard it before because usually the car is garaged but I'm up at school and have my car here so when I've gone out to my car and turned it on, its been making loud whistling noises too. I dunno if its the tranny or not but maybe it is.

What dealership did you take your car to? I usually get my car serviced at Infiniti of Dayton. I wonder if they will check it out for me even though I have an exhaust on the car....I dont know how lenient they are with modifications.

Keep me posted will ya?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Skooler
hey whats up guys, just came across this thread so i thought i would say hello...

My names Joe and im from the Cincy area...PM when the meets start happening ill be there
Hello Joe...

Welcome to the Ohio Section. I'm glad to hear that there are some people willing to drive for a meet. Im down that way now and then, I have friends in Louisville and Im a Bengal fan...

We are planning a driving meet from C-bus down through Hocking Hills, backroads to Zanesville and back in the near future. I speak for most of the guys here in C-bus and say we look forward to meeting you.

My Name is Jeremy. BuckeyeG and I have been working keeping this G35 "club" going since '06.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Some news for you alls.

I didnt have the issues you had...but rather my synchros were going back at 12k miles and they replaced the entire transmission as well. On cold mornings, I would find it difficult to engage 3rd and 5th gear without it grinding no matter what I did to prevent it. New tranny all together. When I asked why not just fix it, the service department Manager stated that Inifiniti likes to do R&D on parts that have huge issues to correct them in later designs. I guess you can take that or leave it with them, but it sounded good.

I also got an 06 transmission for my 05 and I tell you what. As soon as I drove off the lot, I could tell a difference in the whole transmission, from how it engaged, to how much smoother (old one felt notchy to best describe it) it felt. I was happy with the swapout and have had no issues since.

See if you can tell a difference in how it shifts when you first drive it as compared to the old transmission.

Hope it all works out!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:43 AM
1. G35BDub: Blake - windelerb@hotmail.com - Dublin, OH
2. BuckeyeG: Ben - thestreeter@gmail.com - Grove City, OH
3. 1sexyG : Adam - hidea2587@hotmail.com Cincinnati, OH - AIM: hidea2587
4. jinubob81: Jinu. or Bob. jinustuff@gmail.com Cleveland/Columbus
5. KPierson: Kevin - PM - Beavercreek (Dayton), OH
6. G-adabout:Jeremy. filipino76@yahoo.com, Pickerington, Ohio
7. flhtvtwin: Mark- flhtvtwin@hotmail.com, Dayton, OH
8. SEmy2K2go: Tim - trt_1129@yahoo.com, Gahanna, OH - AIM: trtsc1975
9. docron1: Ron - infiniti72@gmail.com - Centerburg, OH
10. Knightt: Tom - tommy612x@yahoo.com- Columbus/Lewis Center, OH (aka Polaris)
11. azndalboy: Dallas - dallastung@gmail.com - Columbus/Dublin, OH
12. myv6isfaster (not my nickname): Anus - apriadi@gmail.com - Columbus, OH
13. Palmisano - frank.palmisano@gmail.com - Columbus (Polaris Area)OH
14. KFXSinner - Scott - kustom_fx@hotmail.com -Mentor (Cleveland Area)
15. G35nzv - Geoff dageoffreyng@gmail.com - Akron/Canton OH - Aim:vzn0
16. Kricci11- kmricci@yahoo.com - Akron/Canton
17. BrianlG35C - brianlg@ameritech.net - Toledo/Maumee, OH
18. LiberalDave - frankcastle12000@yahoo.com - Springboro (Dayton), OH
19. greG35c - flipsideballer@gmail.com - Columbus, OH
20. G35racer23: Anthony- cacioppo23@gmail.com - Hilliard, OH
21: Chandu_732 - chandu_732@yahoo.com - Cleveland/Akron, OH
22. G'd-up - Sprfurious@fuse.net - Cincinnati, Ohio - AIM: Hung2004Well
23. Jomanchu: steck.13@gmail.com - Dublin, Ohio - Aim: Jomanchu
24. Chamois: aka Jim: jimallen2009@yahoo.com, Dublin, Ohio
25. stradaONE8: Arnab arnab.m.16@gmail.com - Columbus, OH (near OSU hospitals) AIM - stradaONE8
26. cdubel01- chris.ubelhart@insightbb.com - Louisville, KY
27. NismoGirl2001 - ~*AMY*~ AKWongsurawat@gmail.com - Cincinnati/N.KY, AIM - NismoGirl2001
28. tt_racing: Travis - tt_racing@yahoo.com Lexington Ohio
29. Irfan - ib5@uakron.edu Akron/Canton; aim: mpwrmaniac
30. DrGeeMD - Brian - brian.so@gmail.com
31. Skooler- Joe (Insert email here)

Hey Skooler, if you copy and paste this with your email, I sometimes email out meets to this list. And if you look, there are a few others from Cincy as well. Maybe if you get with them, the next time we meet you can convoy up here!

Old 02-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g-adabout
I didnt have the issues you had...but rather my synchros were going back at 12k miles and they replaced the entire transmission as well. On cold mornings, I would find it difficult to engage 3rd and 5th gear without it grinding no matter what I did to prevent it. New tranny all together. When I asked why not just fix it, the service department Manager stated that Inifiniti likes to do R&D on parts that have huge issues to correct them in later designs. I guess you can take that or leave it with them, but it sounded good.

I also got an 06 transmission for my 05 and I tell you what. As soon as I drove off the lot, I could tell a difference in the whole transmission, from how it engaged, to how much smoother (old one felt notchy to best describe it) it felt. I was happy with the swapout and have had no issues since.

See if you can tell a difference in how it shifts when you first drive it as compared to the old transmission.

Hope it all works out!
I have definitely heard of a lot of G transmissions being notchy and grinding, even in the G37s. I can't say I had much of that, it was relatively smooth, a bit nothcy on the throw but by no means bad. I have driven a lot of different cars and this isn't exactly the best feeling transmission my any means, but not the worst either. This was just a weird noise with no other outward symptoms.
I dunno, we'll see how the new one drives and if it's any better or any different. If it's smoother then hooray, if the noise goes away, even better. I'll just have to wait until next week to find out, I'll be sure to ask as many questions as I can think of when I go to pick it up.

Thanks for the support Jeremy

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
I have definitely heard of a lot of G transmissions being notchy and grinding, even in the G37s. I can't say I had much of that, it was relatively smooth, a bit nothcy on the throw but by no means bad. I have driven a lot of different cars and this isn't exactly the best feeling transmission my any means, but not the worst either. This was just a weird noise with no other outward symptoms.
I dunno, we'll see how the new one drives and if it's any better or any different. If it's smoother then hooray, if the noise goes away, even better. I'll just have to wait until next week to find out, I'll be sure to ask as many questions as I can think of when I go to pick it up.

Thanks for the support Jeremy
I have noticed alot more problems in the cold weather with my transmission and have been having difficulty engaging gears - especially 1-3...

Jeremy - might want to take me off of the list of Ohio peeps - as of the 25th - i'll be residing in the lonestar state... If any of you Ohio peeps ever need me to check a part or pick something up and ship it up to you from the Houston area - just let me know - glad to help!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Ohio G Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we should get everyone together after it warms up

25. stradaONE8: Arnab arnab.m.16@gmail.com - Columbus, OH (near OSU hospitals) AIM - stradaONE8
27. NismoGirl2001 - ~*AMY*~ AKWongsurawat@gmail.com - Cincinnati/N.KY, AIM - NismoGirl2001
31. Skooler- Joe (Insert email here)
32. Brian - bash27jp00@yahoo.com Cleveland, Ohio

Old 02-11-2009, 08:38 PM
31. Skooler - Joe - swoosh4435@aol.com - Cincinnati/Hamilton

Originally Posted by g-adabout
Hello Joe...

Welcome to the Ohio Section. I'm glad to hear that there are some people willing to drive for a meet. Im down that way now and then, I have friends in Louisville and Im a Bengal fan...

We are planning a driving meet from C-bus down through Hocking Hills, backroads to Zanesville and back in the near future. I speak for most of the guys here in C-bus and say we look forward to meeting you.

My Name is Jeremy. BuckeyeG and I have been working keeping this G35 "club" going since '06.
Well im not to sure about that cross country trip lol. Ya i tried coming to one about 6months ago at a park north of Columbus, i think exit 157 or so off of 71, but something came up with the wife...

I drive for fedex and go through c-bus sometimes on the way up to youngstown, i remember seeing a bright blue g sedan that had some work done, from what i remember it was one of the sharpest sedans i have ever seen, have you guys seen it before up there?

looking forward to meeting you guys

Old 02-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Ohio G Club Member
Hey guys, just checking in during this long, cold winter. Haven't driven my car more than 5 miles since late November. I found out I had a boost leak since last summer and it was costing me several hp.

I'm looking to forward to hopefully making some meets this spring/summer and doing a much better job against any Lambos we happen to run up against.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I am in the Cleveland area

email: mvanbuskirk@gmail.com
aim - raptor511

My car is new and has yet to be modified so I would love to get to know the local experts a bit more.

Last edited by Nighthawk51; 02-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for those of you who had your trannys replaced....where did you go for service? I usually go to Infiniti of Dayton but I dont know how they feel about mods...

Old 02-12-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by kricci11
I have noticed alot more problems in the cold weather with my transmission and have been having difficulty engaging gears - especially 1-3...

Jeremy - might want to take me off of the list of Ohio peeps - as of the 25th - i'll be residing in the lonestar state... If any of you Ohio peeps ever need me to check a part or pick something up and ship it up to you from the Houston area - just let me know - glad to help!

there is a hole in our list now...

Your on about the part shipping. My dad lives in Dallas. We have a family reunion in June...I will let you know about when I am down there.

Welcome Brian, Look forward to meeting you sometime.

Skooler, As for that meet, it would have been nice to have you there. I went to the first two years ago and was the only G, and this past year, we had I think 8-9 show up!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:30 PM
16.NightHawk51-mvanbuskirk@gmail.com

Welcome Nighthawk51! I hope that you do tell meet up with us. We have a bunch of guys around here (in Ohio) who have modified their cars, and can give you some great advice. I have learned alot from these forums. And I have found that talking with these guys about our cars is an endless conversation.

It seems our group is picking up!!! I can't wait for our next meet. I think we all need to start looking at our calenders in March. Spring is in the air, and so are G35 meets at Hooters! hehhehehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ohio representation?