Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Rogue Eng. Short ShifterSHOULD BE NO OTHER

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:28 PM
G Kreuzer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Jim pointed out earlier ... don't forget to also purchase the oem ball socket cup. It'll run you another $10-15, but well worth the hassle.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 6MT
Thumbs up i like it!

the rogue short shifter was one of my very first mods. and to this day, i'm still happy with it. as for the rattling/noise issues. i have experienced none more than stock, whatsoever. shifts are very smooth, a little thougher than stock, but well worth that click! clint, i would have to disagree with you on purchase the new cup. mine was fairly easy to remove. jus' compres it with a vice (not too tight, jus' to hold it steady), and hammer out the shifter with a mallet. took one or two wacks, and that was it!

Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Did any of you guys have trouble putting that rubber piece back on under the car?

Old 04-23-2005, 03:06 PM
G35 6MT
Originally Posted by pinoy702
Did any of you guys have trouble putting that rubber piece back on under the car?
nope, not this guy.

Old 04-27-2005, 08:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pinoy702
I installed mine this week and am very happy!

It does not rattle and the vibration seems less than stock.

The difference is shifting is very subtle....but it is more of a rifle bolt action....
very precise and smooth.

I did mine with a floor jack and jack stands and it was a piece of cake...less than 30 min.

If you get a buddy to help from the top side while you put the boot back on it is pretty easy. Just get the front passenger side on first, and then strech it around the rest of the way till it sits into the groove. 3 hands really help though.

Old 04-27-2005, 12:17 PM
G Kreuzer
The 'rifle bolt action' reference is very well put!

Old 05-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by n1cK
the rogue short shifter was one of my very first mods. and to this day, i'm still happy with it. as for the rattling/noise issues. i have experienced none more than stock, whatsoever. shifts are very smooth, a little thougher than stock, but well worth that click! clint, i would have to disagree with you on purchase the new cup. mine was fairly easy to remove. jus' compres it with a vice (not too tight, jus' to hold it steady), and hammer out the shifter with a mallet. took one or two wacks, and that was it!
where and how much you get your's for?

Old 05-02-2005, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by THX723
As Jim pointed out earlier ... don't forget to also purchase the oem ball socket cup. It'll run you another $10-15, but well worth the hassle.
Listen to Clint....

Clint, can you believe that I FINALLY got my Rogue installed.... it was only sitting in it's box in my garage for what, 6 months or so...????? Sheesh....

Chad (Protocav) down in SD installed it for me... he did an EXCELLENT job by the way....

I love the Rogue Shifter... the throw isn't THAT much shorter, but it is noticeable, and there is no notchiness like I was expecting. It is awesome all-around.... and allows me even more easily to work over those STi's and Evo's who want to play with The Beast.....

I highly recommend the Rogue.... it feels so good in my hand (ahem....)......

Mark

Old 05-02-2005, 08:53 PM
G Kreuzer
OMG Mark ........ slacker!!!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:37 PM
G35 6MT
Thumbs up it's cheaper now...

Originally Posted by rocka_fellow
where and how much you get your's for?
got mine directly from rogue engineering. i got it last year thought, when it first came out, and i can tell you that i paid more than the price that's listed.

Old 05-17-2005, 04:56 PM
For those that got the new OEM Ball Socket Cup for the install, did you just pick that up from the dealership parts department?

Old 05-17-2005, 08:57 PM
G Kreuzer
Yes.

Old 05-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Greetings G35 owners,

Thank you for the recent interest in the Rogue Engineering 350Z/G35 short shift kit. I thought I'd explain some past and recent events of the product.

When we introduced the short shifter, there was not another viable product available at the time (November 2003). Our goal was to produce a product with increase vibration dampening while reducing the throws. I believe we've achieved our design goals.

We enjoyed a quick "burst" of interest in the beginning, but it was quickly cut short by an inferior product produced by another (gigantic) competitor. This terribly executed competiting product really put a sour note on short shifters for the 350Z/G35 platforms. What the factory lever requires is a unit with MORE vibration dampening capabilities, not LESS! So, thanks to this competitor (who still sells their piece of junk), most people think that ALL short shifters for the 350Z/G35 are terrible, of course, which is not true.

Just when we thought we were going to discontinue the product all together, someone put together a group buy, breathing new life into the product. So, some people got a deal on a product that was near termination. We attributed the lack of interest on pricing, so we decided to price it more aggressively, to see if that was the case. Low and behold, more orders have started dropping in once we dropped our MSRP by 25%. With some smarter manufacturing changes, we were able to lower our cost of producing the same product. Therefore, we thought we could offer this product to more people, if we lowered the price into a more attainable price point.

For the fate of the product, we've improved it once again (the last few months have gotten the improvements), and it looks like people are interested again. Not sure how long that will last, but man, they sure are easy to install! I recently installed on into a G35 in 15 minutes (we have a lift). I wish BMWs were this easy.

Anyhow, good luck with the new board format. If any of the moderators could contact me directly regarding sponsorship, I would be interested in discussing advertising terms directly at ben@rogueengineering.com

Regards,
Ben Liaw
Rogue Engineering

Last edited by RogueBen; 05-23-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:52 AM
G35 6MT
i for one am glad that you did not discontinue this great product. it would have been a shame for other G enthusiasts to have missed out!

what sort of improvements have been made? i couldn't imagine a shorter throw, then it would just be hard. what else could you have improved upon? a great enough improvement to have to upgrade?

oh, and to address the issue about price. it's true that we drive $29k+ cars, but in all reality, i don't think anyone wants to pay $200-$300 for a piece of metal, just for the "feeling." kind of hard to explain. all i know is i did, and i'm glad

Old 05-24-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by n1cK
i for one am glad that you did not discontinue this great product. it would have been a shame for other G enthusiasts to have missed out!

what sort of improvements have been made? i couldn't imagine a shorter throw, then it would just be hard. what else could you have improved upon? a great enough improvement to have to upgrade?

oh, and to address the issue about price. it's true that we drive $29k+ cars, but in all reality, i don't think anyone wants to pay $200-$300 for a piece of metal, just for the "feeling." kind of hard to explain. all i know is i did, and i'm glad
We implimented a new system to secure the shifter lever to the lower shaft, as we have been doing with our BMW shifters. What we found was people were overtorquing the shift ***** onto the shifter levers, which was causing a problem with a 100% bonded lever.

By using both the bonding method as well as a positive securing system, we now have the best of both worlds. A vibration absorbing shifter lever with the security of being able to withstand most any twisting thrown at it.

We have kept the throw reduction the same, as we felt it was a nice reduction. Any shorter would have introduced more notchiness, as with competing product. Of course, this would have made the shifter feel terrible.

Anyhow, we've got the product to ship for the moment. I think the pricing now makes it attractive, at $179. Hopefully, interest in this product will continue for us to continue producing them. Otherwise, it may go the way of the Dodo bird.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rogue Eng. Short ShifterSHOULD BE NO OTHER